Page 249 of 277 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2770

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Not so powerful as one's own ability to choose one's own actions. Only physical force can truly limit or force the free will of another.

Words your hear only have what power you give them, if you ask me. Regardless of what you have been told or taught, you are responsible for your own actions. Not those who told or taught you.

It got worse through the (defaulted) agency of the guy who let her hurt him. See also: words only have what power you give them. That is, through a fault in his personal responsibility (with regard to personal well-being and critical thinking), he allowed her words to have such an impact on him. Yes, she's a reprehensible bitch, but he's a weakling for allowing her to have such power over him -- his weakness, his default -- is his fault, not hers.
    In theory I do agree with you however, just because someone is weak you oughtn't exploit that weakness, that is the issue here. Exploitation weak minded individuals is still evil. Its not murder or even manslaughter I would agree, but it is still evil. I understand your not defining here actions and you chose to use the word deplorable were I use the world evil. However, I also have a vary different belief of evil then you (likely).

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    badass

I wanna has Alele's baby
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ~h4ct6al~ View Post
    I wanna has Alele's baby
    I'm not sure how much that's an unpopular opinion as much as it's currently a scientific improbability.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by AntisocialENTP View Post
    I'm not sure how much that's an unpopular opinion as much as it's currently a scientific improbability.
    hmm improbability implies possibility. Imma hang on to that faint glimmer of hope..
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    Changes nothing.edit: to be clear, I am not defending that bitch at all -- I find her behavior reprehensible. I'm just arguing where the responsibility is placed --- and where it is not.
    If it is a legal question, the law seems to apportion blame to various parties. A person who drives a car carrying a passenger who shoots and kills someone can be charged with murder despite the fact that he didn't pull the trigger even if he was not aware of a concrete plan to go out and kill the victim.

In light of the above scenario, is it totally unreasonable that she was charged with a lesser degree of murder because she was to some extent culpable for his death? If she had behaved differently, the outcome may very well have been different so it could be argued that her actions/inaction contributed his death in a sense.

If you are unhappy about the definition of murder being stretched to include encouraging another person to commit suicide and failing to call for help when someone is in the process of committing suicide, then perhaps politicians could pass some new laws to make these things crimes to prevent this stretching of the definition of murder.

I suspect that it is not a legal question for you but one of principles. I guess that you would say that we are all rational and autonomous individuals and suicide is ultimately the personal choice of the rational and autonomous individual involved. The principle of rational autonomous individuals being responsible for their actions may be true in many cases, but perhaps people who are suicidal are in a state of deep depression and therefore not rational and were put into that emotional state by a lack of love from others and therefore not acting autonomously.

In most cases, a suicidal person's life is not objectively that bad and they have the potential to get over their depression and abandon any plans to commit suicide if they can connect with other people who genuinely care about them. Suicide would seem not to be a choice consistent with someone being rational and autonomous. Does this mean that your principle of rational autonomous actors bearing responsibility for their actions does not completely apply in the case of suicidal individuals?
    Last edited by Guess Who; 06-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    On the wrong side of history

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    The principle of rational autonomous individuals being responsible for their actions may be true in many cases, but perhaps people who are suicidal are in a state of deep depression and therefore not rational and were put into that emotional state by a lack of love from others and therefore not acting autonomously.
    Based on what I've observed from lurking on this forum, there's a lot of people on this forum who believe that depression is not a real mental illness. They treat it as either a matter of personal choice, or something that you can solve by just telling the person to "be happy." Therefore they might not regard the problem of suicide in the same light.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    Based on what I've observed from lurking on this forum, there's a lot of people on this forum who believe that depression is not a real mental illness. They treat it as either a matter of personal choice, or something that you can solve by just telling the person to "be happy." Therefore they might not regard the problem of suicide in the same light.
    You are right and people who says such things are wrong. Both depression and suicide are very serious problems. We should definitely work to help others overcome depression and try to prevent suicides. I wanted to suggest that it is possible and desirable; not that it is as easy as just saying "get over it" or "be happy".
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    Everything is a matter of personal choice -- as in, within the purview if not causation of, to change, to begin to change, if one simply chooses and continues choosing and acting on such choices. Personal responsibility: get some.

Type
    INTP
    Meanwhile, what I came here to say.

Game of Thrones -- I cannot wait for this fad to fuck off already. I also cannot whatsoever understand what people see in it. Pathetic.

Furthermore, as much as people like to bitch about "cultural appropriation". Yeah? Then I get to bitch about what's become of "nerd culture". These days, people want to rip my nerd card away if I'm anything other than a frothing apologist for Star Wars, Game of Thrones or whatever other fan-pandering shit du jour. What? You don't like Star Wars? What's wrong with you? Same shit happens with GoT. Fuck Off Toss LotR in there too. Fuck right the fuck off, please.

I swear, I want to grab half the idiots who like such crap and ask them the question: Now, really ,why do you like this? And just watch as all the answers reduce to "because my friend like it" and/or an appeal to popularity otherwise. Wake the fuck up, people.

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    Everything is a matter of personal choice -- as in, within the purview if not causation of, to change, to begin to change, if one simply chooses and continues choosing and acting on such choices. Personal responsibility: get some.
    Oh, so I see the mountains of medical research and clinical evidence for depression means nothing in the light of some vague metaphysical ideas about free will. Totally logical.