Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh, I missed that in college! Knowledge gaps.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

Oh, I missed that in college! Knowledge gaps.

I don't know much about Charles Dickens. The Nineteenth-Century British Novel did not interest me, in general; so, now I can't answer basic questions about this god given author. I did not finish Moby Dick. That novel was an ISTJ wet dream. I liked Shakespeare, Romantic and Victorian era poetry, American Realism and Naturalism, and anything Modern or Postmodern.

So, basically, I regret skipping some courses in college. I miss too many questions about Charles Dickens on QuizUp, and that's just ridiculous.

What did you neglect in college? Do you think about filling in the gaps?

Type
    INTP
    I don't think i actually learned anything in college....and i always feel that i have knowledge gaps no matter how much more knwledge i gain.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ^ Hmm. Okay.

Type
    INTP
    This is why you form trivia teams rather than going head to head.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Hmm. I thought this might be a common regret among a bunch of nerdy INTPs. Other than acquiring knowledge anyone with my major should have, there are also courses I would love to take now that I overlooked in school. Just for shits and giggles.

STEM majors don't have as many courses left to their discretion, I guess.

Type
    INTP
    I don't even know what I don't know, and that's fine, as pertains to shit foisted by academia. If it didn't directly intersect or otherwise involve my life/interests starting around the age of 10 and onward, it may as well have not happened, as far as I'm concerned. This applies to arts, history, technology, whatever. Don't know. Can't say I much care. Hasn't held me back from anything for not knowing, so, why should I care?
    Last edited by Ptah; 07-15-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Type
    INFP
    I'm about halfway through David Copperfield for the first time right now. Tremendous Audiobook read by Richard Armitage. Treat yourself!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Just yesterday I was discussing whether Tiny Tim was asked to go buy a Goose or a Turkey. Turns out that it is actually a conversation point, with whole pages written on it.
    That said, reading classic literature is something that will continue to take me the rest of my life, because...internet.

Type
    xxxx
    compared to the rest of society, i know less about parties

but i guess with my actual interests & temperament, the type of educational setting i was in, the area of the country i was in, and company i find myself around now, i know less than i'd like about formal design stuff (practice, theory, history) and tech/STEM shit, the stereotypically masculine smart stuff.

i know a stupid amount of other stuff (like art history and specifically impressionism, lol quizup) but i can't say i learned it in school. rather i acquired most of the stuff that sticks on my own thru personal exploration, granted, sometimes for a class. honestly i was a mediocre student.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-15-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Computer stuff in general. I took a week long class on how to use a "word processor" back when those were a new thing. I learned to use the first generation Excel in a forestry class. I didn't have a computer until I was almost 30. (Not counting the Tandy 1000 the family shared when we were kids.)

I tried taking a Python coursera class while I was teaching at the community college, but I simply didn't have time. @stigmatica has told me he thinks I'd be good at programming.

If this house refinancing doesn't require me getting ready for an inspection, I may have time to learn now, but I better wait until I know for sure because I may be putting everything on hold if that happens. This house is so not ready for inspection right now.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle