Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Networking for Introverts

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Networking for Introverts

I'm sure you've heard it a million times: most opportunities aren't advertised and even if they are advertised, knowing people helps your chances.

But if you're frequenting this site then like me, social stuff may not be your forte. So how do you network as an introvert without burning yourself out?

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Personally, I don't. Well, not in the now-popular sense of LinkedIn, etc.

Rather, if and when I've ever really "networked" it was just with a very limited (fewer than five person) pool of respected, previous co-workers. Even so, that's basically just for references, if and when they ever get requested (which has been rare).

Perhaps I'm fortunate in that every job I've had (*) I was able to find and get on my own (or through recruiters/headhunters, rather than a "network" per se).

(*)The exception is the very first job I had, which was a referral from an existing friend.

Type
    INTP
    I don't think you need to do that much to maintain a professional network. Sending a Christmas email or something every year just so they remember you and you get their most recent contact information is all you really need to do. As for meeting new people in your field, that is much harder and has a much lower ROI. I go to an annual alumni happy hour that we have every year in our area, but it has yet to yield results. I think harvesting the people you already know is much more productive than forging new connections. I find that most of my old professional contacts are willing to help me out professionally in any way they can if I ask.

Type
    INTP
    I am a complete loser at networking.

Type
    xxxx
    i should learn how to do it more efficiently, but my tendency is to just focus on doing good work first. it's really easy to feel like you have to rely on networking 24/7 when your work is mediocre, especially in the age of the internet and social media. whenever i fall victim to that mindset, i consider the opportunity cost of networking VS developing myself and the priority is really clear, at least at the stage i'm at. with that said, i'll never be good at it probably... i just try to keep in touch with colleagues and ex-coworkers and stay open to forming comfortable work/personal relationships and collaboration, but generally i focus on my work first. when it comes to getting work anyway it makes the most sense that you'd put most of your outreach energy into contacting people who could hire you (i got this advice once from someone very experienced, and it seems good for me).

Type
    intp
    The advice I've gotten regarding library conferences is usually "go to all the events that involve drinking." This makes sense to me since people tend to like me more when they're drinking.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    The advice I've gotten regarding library conferences is usually "go to all the events that involve drinking." This makes sense to me since people tend to like me more when they're drinking.
    Can confirm. I liked you more after you forced your sake on me.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Like Ptah, I can't say I really partake in it in any conscious fashion.

My second job out of uni was via another friend from uni giving the company my details when they were looking for someone and knowing I was looking to move back to the area, but to be honest that was probably the worst job I've had so far.

The rest of my "networking" has been limited to just meeting people I'm working with. Every now and then I meet someone i notionally get along with.

I know it means my options are lessened, but meh. I don't drink and can't stand most "social events", and can't help but reflect that the people I've seen go to such events are primarily blow-hards. The signal to noise ratio is very low. But I suppose, even blowhards can lift each other up when you get enough of them.

/its not that I don't understand, its just that I don't care.

Type
    INfj
    For entry-level stuff I've mostly gotten jobs by going to job fairs and having conversations with the company reps there.

For higher-level stuff it's mostly been through IRC, actually. (I haven't actually signed on for anything yet but I have had some offers.) As tele pointed out, having work which can more or less speak for me makes it easy to say 'oh, you're running/working for a startup? Do you need more developers? Here's a thing I did that proves I'm not useless.'
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    Have a few E friends who do that for you. Also, someone once told me to have lunch once a week with someone in your field who isn't a coworker. That's good advice.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.