Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hormones

Type
    INTP

Hormones

I just find it interesting to notice what a large impact hormones have on my mind.

Luckily I'm not really subject to PMS, which is kind of amazing, giving the hormonal variations that occur during the menstrual cycle (I wonder if I have fewer receptors than average). However, I have noticed the influence of hormones on two major areas:

1. Reproduction. I had basically no desire for children until I hit my mid-late twenties, then the urge steadily increased (fantasies as well as a more subconscious, almost physical desire for pregnancy/baby). Actually having a baby killed the urge until he entered toddler-hood in earnest, then baby fever set in again. I thought it was age-dependent, but then getting back on hormonal birth control seems to have caused the urge itself to more or less evaporate. Now it's a more intellectual musing - it would be nice to be able to have another child. *shrug*

2. Anxiety. If I am seriously anxious about one particular thing in my life, this bleeds into a general state of alertness/aggression/anxiety. My heart rate goes up. I'm more likely to fixate on things.

I don't feel like I'm at the mercy of my hormones, but it is interesting to note how they impact my mind and physiology and try to take that into account.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    This is one thing that I've had to really come to grips with, myself. I've always thought of myself as a very rational and non-emotional person but the fact is that I'm swayed just as much by hormones as anyone else.

During most of my teens and twenties I didn't really feel any cramping or discomfort while on my period, and it allowed me to be in denial about the other effects of those hormones on my mood and behaviour. Fact is, I do get PMS. Once I really started to pay attention to it, I realised that there's usually a day in my cycle where I'm significantly more irritable than normal, followed by a day where I feel depressed for no particular reason. When I'm paying attention I can do things that help mitigate the impacts of these things on my relationships.

Cortisol's another big one for me. It's only been fairly recently that I've really seriously tried to deal with my stress levels. For a long time I lived in a constant state of stress and anxiety and it really messed with my ability to sleep, my energy levels and left me feeling really foggy/tired/forgetful and unable to focus on things.

Type
    xxxx
    haven't noticed/cared much outside of PMS and sex drive.

when i got off the pill all that shit came back, FOR THE BETTER. in retrospect i don't think i should've been on hormonal BC as long as i was. i can't say how it fucked me up but there was a huge difference.

i've always had cramping and discomfort that comes with my period but i have to exercise to make it a lil more manageable.

also masturbating/sex (sometimes) during your period is really good for cramping and pain.

Type
    INTP
    I used to get only mild cramps from my periods. This was the case whether or not I was on birth control. But as I've gotten older, either the hormonal swings are bigger or my body is more sensitive to them. Now sometimes I can barely function for a couple days when my period rolls around due to migraines and cramps. Sometimes the migraines are just an annoyance that can be mitigated with ibuprofen, sometimes they're extremely painful and don't respond to painkillers, sometimes they leave my brain so foggy it's like I'm swaying around and can't form a complete thought. Usually, that last type of migraine comes with nausea. I'd take the extreme pain over that any day. And the cramps these days are completely different too. Instead of some kind of low level back pain like I used to get, I feel like I'm having contractions. I'll be fine for 10-30 minutes, and then a wave of intense pain that originates in my lower abdomen reverberates throughout my body. Fucking A, it's horrible, I swear I can feel it all the way down to my feet. Ibuprofen seems to knock it out though, for now at least, I just have to suffer until I eat enough to take some and wait for it to kick in. I'm on birth control pills that give me a period once every three months because fuck that shit, who needs it? My skin looks a lot better on them, too. Birth control pills have made life tolerable, I don't know what I'd do without them. My mom had some kind of lady troubles around my age and her doctor recommended a hysterectomy, but she got a second opinion and ultimately decided to ride it out until menopause at which point the problems disappeared. I'll have to ask her about that.

I'm not very in tune with my body, so as far as effects on my mood, emotions, sex drive, or anything else, I have no idea how much they're influenced by my hormonal swings. I think the effect of stress outweighs lady hormones for me by a lot though. I've thought in the past that birth control was dampening my sex drive, but in retrospect I think I just wasn't that into the guy.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I used to get only mild cramps from my periods. This was the case whether or not I was on birth control. But as I've gotten older, either the hormonal swings are bigger or my body is more sensitive to them. Now sometimes I can barely function for a couple days when my period rolls around due to migraines and cramps. Sometimes the migraines are just an annoyance that can be mitigated with ibuprofen, sometimes they're extremely painful and don't respond to painkillers, sometimes they leave my brain so foggy it's like I'm swaying around and can't form a complete thought. Usually, that last type of migraine comes with nausea. I'd take the extreme pain over that any day. And the cramps these days are completely different too. Instead of some kind of low level back pain like I used to get, I feel like I'm having contractions. I'll be fine for 10-30 minutes, and then a wave of intense pain that originates in my lower abdomen reverberates throughout my body. Fucking A, it's horrible, I swear I can feel it all the way down to my feet. Ibuprofen seems to knock it out though, for now at least, I just have to suffer until I eat enough to take some and wait for it to kick in. I'm on birth control pills that give me a period once every three months because fuck that shit, who needs it? My skin looks a lot better on them, too. Birth control pills have made life tolerable, I don't know what I'd do without them. My mom had some kind of lady troubles around my age and her doctor recommended a hysterectomy, but she got a second opinion and ultimately decided to ride it out until menopause at which point the problems disappeared. I'll have to ask her about that.

I'm not very in tune with my body, so as far as effects on my mood, emotions, sex drive, or anything else, I have no idea how much they're influenced by my hormonal swings. I think the effect of stress outweighs lady hormones for me by a lot though. I've thought in the past that birth control was dampening my sex drive, but in retrospect I think I just wasn't that into the guy.
    I don't know how old you are, but menopause starts between age 40 and 58....which of course everyone knows. People tend to think of it as an instantaneous change, but the reality is far worse. Perimenopause, which lasts for up to 8 years prior to actual menopause, is rarely mentioned. It is characterized by less predictable (typically shorter) cycles...usually 24-25 days instead of 28, but some people have them every couple of weeks, increased chance of migraines, increased migraine intensity, and worse menstrual symptoms, including significantly heavier bleeding.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but menopause starts between age 40 and 58....which of course everyone knows. People tend to think of it as an instantaneous change, but the reality is far worse. Perimenopause, which lasts for up to 8 years prior to actual menopause, is rarely mentioned. It is characterized by less predictable (typically shorter) cycles...usually 24-25 days instead of 28, but some people have them every couple of weeks, increased chance of migraines, increased migraine intensity, and worse menstrual symptoms, including significantly heavier bleeding.
    I'm a week and a half from turning 40. My parents are coming next weekend, I'll have to ask my mom and sister if they've had a similar experience, thought I don't remember either of them ever mentioning migraines. I've been looking forward to menopause since I was 12. It can't be worse than the horror that was the onset of menstruation.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I'm a week and a half from turning 40. My parents are coming next weekend, I'll have to ask my mom and sister if they've had a similar experience, thought I don't remember either of them ever mentioning migraines. I've been looking forward to menopause since I was 12. It can't be worse than the horror that was the onset of menstruation.
    Menopause is going to be even more welcome after the perimenopause.

I'm 2 weeks from 45 myself.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    xNxx
    I feel a strong interaction between hormones, mood, and my nervous system. If I get stressed I feel it like the beginning of a cold in my throat. My skin crawls and I get jumpy. I feel a similar effect if I eat too much sugar and my insulin spikes.

After a big weightlifting session and my cortisol drops, I feel the opposite. I can eat pounds of sugar and deal with stress without any of those effects.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oh, actually... I might have something wrong with my hormones. My periods have halved in volume and don't really bother me at all anymore. Which is awesome! Less mess, no cramps or anything... but it might mean that there's something wrong with me. Maybe my body is just giving up.

Type
    INTP
    I notice a few things in myself.

I think I get mild PMS, but I never realize that's what it is at the time. It's sort of similar to just being irritable if I'm tired for me. I don't know if it counts as hormones, probably more of a blood sugar thing but being hungry makes me way more irritable. Worst mood ever. I hate everything at that point.

Migraines. Sometimes they put me an an oddly good mood before they happen, so I find it hard to trust good moods. Good moods could be migraines waiting to happen.

Then they fuck with my head more once they start. If it's on the left side of my head it's just usually sort of cloudy and hard to think, but I can function for the most part. And words will sometimes slip away, and numbers are difficult. On my right side things just get kind of weird. My thoughts just start not making sense, except I'm aware that they don't make sense. It's kind of like being in a weird dream except I know it's a dream and I want to control it to put things back to normal but thinking too much makes my head hurt worse. So I usually just kind of go along with the weirdness and hope it stays in my head and doesn't slip out. Luckily those ones happen less often. Those ones seem extra weird if they happen at night when I'm in bed.

Oh and after they end I feel drained and depressed for about a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Perimenopause, which lasts for up to 8 years prior to actual menopause, is rarely mentioned. It is characterized by less predictable (typically shorter) cycles...usually 24-25 days instead of 28, but some people have them every couple of weeks, increased chance of migraines, increased migraine intensity, and worse menstrual symptoms, including significantly heavier bleeding.
    It gets worse? You've got to be kidding.

And then there's also some stress related ones that maybe I'll describe later.