Thread: Comments and Criticisms of INTP Videos

Sysop
    Type
    INTP

Comments and Criticisms of INTP Videos

I'll start things off with this....

Set aside the rushed, almost panicky diction. Set aside how he trips up over his own slides. Set aside the lifted-from-better-sources stereotypes parroted poorly.

In my opinion, the spectacle here ... The weaknesses and recommendations .... again, parroted stereotypes aside, what seemingly original material is presented is somewhere between laughably wrong and just made up. And then there's how he contradicts himself during different phases of the long-winded recommendation section.

Overall, it smacks to me like this guy's wedging MBTI stereotypes into some otherwise unrelated agenda.

Would I recommend this video to others curious about INTPs? Absolutely not.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Next up... a segment of Keirsey's own video from somewhen in the 80s, regarding "Rationals" (NTs).

Dated, and unfortunately a bit too "staged" in its presentation. Otherwise, has more relevant information than not... as pertains to NTs in general, anyhow. Even so, it seems to trade only in the positive, the ideal (which is a general weakness of Keirsey's approach overall, imho).

Would I recommend this video to others curious about INTPs? Yes and no. The material about Rationals is spot-on albeit sparse, and yet the vignette chosen to demonstrate Rationals seems more to demonstrate an INTJ or some kind; only somewhat relevant to INTPs. And, to those new to the subject, it may be disappointingly "off" more often than "spot on"?

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    And now some thoughts on Ti, purportedly from an INTP perspective....

... first, I do not doubt that this guy is an INTP. That may be some sort of projection, however, for he somewhat reminds me of myself.

Anyhow, I strongly identify with just about everything this guy says about Ti, and even how he goes about saying it (for better or for worse).

Would I recommend this video to others curious about INTPs? Yes, if they have the patience for it.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    A female INTP talking about what it is like to be a female INTP:

Apart from when she spoke about makeup and having children, I don't think anything she had to say had anything whatsoever to do with being female. Even when she spoke of gender roles/expectations, it wound up more about being an INTP and less about being female, imho. As for when she spoke about makeup and children, most of what she had to say I could pretty much follow along with (if not quite agree with) -- again -- just on the INTP level of things.

Would I recommend this video to others curious about INTPs? Yeah. Again, if they have the patience for it, anyhow. I think she's fairly representative (but again, this may be projection, for I can identify with much of her apparent personality).

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    This one was just painful to watch for some reason. I don't think I can even attempt to objectively evaluate this, it was that jarring, but here it is.

Spoiler: subjective gripe

I doubt this person is INTP. Or maybe just really weak or borderline in some or all functions or something. Or who knows, but I do not get the INTP vibe from this one at all.

Would I recommend it? Egh...

Type
    INTP

This is a perfect example of an INTP who's uncomfortable. He doesn't want to be there, the interviewer is too extraverted for him, so he's relying on his bad Fe to try and fit in and act like a normal person would. Which makes him look so awkward. You see him start laughing at the guy's jokes and immediately looking away. He has difficulty looking him in the eye. He tries to give feedback with little "hm. hmhm. hm." and they are out-of-place and awkward. An INTP in an uncomfortable situation relies on Ti and Si. A comfortable INTP, on the other hand, lets his Ne and Fe go wild, and can seem like an ENTP.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I watched that video. Rather, I tried. That guy on the right was rankling me something awful. This "interview" is just him grandstanding on his presumed grasp of typology, which is superficial and awful (and I sense a bit of ulterior motive/agenda to it).