Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympics in Rio

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

2016 Olympics in Rio

It's that time again, the time for a renewed sense of patriotism over sports most people pay no attention to but once every 4 years (with a few exceptions of course). On an INTP forum I'm not sure how much fuel this thread will get but I thought I'd make it anyway.

I watched the opening ceremony last night, it was ok. A bit ho hum compared to previous openings, but the fireworks were cool and I liked the dynamic sculpture behind the flame.

Right now I'm watching women in strange masks poke sticks at each other (most people call it fencing).

Type
    INTx
    "At this point in time, nobody can beat Simone Biles" Wow that Times piece gave me an appreciation of her skills. Previously, I just knew of her from a laundry detergent commercial. Looks like the eve before her image will be everywhere.

Type
    INtP
    I think it's three teaspoons of water to get some sort of virus there. I guess that's what you get when you have shitty water.
    The idea that there is more is essential to our humanity.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarlFox View Post
    I think it's three teaspoons of water to get some sort of virus there. I guess that's what you get when you have shitty water.
    Yeah the open water swimmers are screwed.

I'm watching handball right now, I've never watched it before. It looks like a really goofy game. When I first turned it on I thought "There's no way these guys do this full time, they could never make a living playing this." then I googled it and OMFG some of them are making 11 million euro a year.

Well that's men's handball.
    The highest paid woman might make $200,000. (geez I know people care less about women's sports but damn).

The informality compared to other sports is also kind of funny. In every other team sport I've seen so far (just watched doubles volleyball, and some soccer last night) when the ball leaves the field a ref or official will either retrieve the ball or bring them a new ball. With handball they make the players run around and search for the ball, just now the ball got wedged between a net and a railing behind the goal (tucked away enough to be off camera), this would be when a new ball would be thrown to them in any other sport but instead the goalie bent over and spent about 10 seconds trying to fish out the ball. People are starving to death and these guys are millionaires for playing handball, what a fucking world we live in.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Tried to watch the opening ceremony online, but there's just a load of shit and fake videos of clickbait.

Type
    INTP
    Recorded the opening ceremony on DVR. Being able to fastforward is essential.

One thing I hate is how the US media doesn't just focus on our own players - they barely even mention anyone else and on top of that have to cut to our team acting like douchebags in front of the camera, doing nothing but goofing off, every twenty seconds. It's like an SNL parody of US chauvinism.

But yes, with the ability to fastforward, it becomes much more tolerable.

I watched some Women's beach volleyball and Damn. Walsh-Jennings and Ross were awesome.

...And maybe it's just the attire (Ambercrombie and Fitch on spring break; bikinis) but the summer Olympics just don't seems as dignified as the Winter Olympics.

Oh but that reminds me, final thought: Giselle's catwalk was NOT sexy. It looked like she was walking on stilts. In a bikini/sundress and barefoot would have been much more sensual and appropriate to the song.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    *Checks bag of fucks*

Nope. None to give.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    *Checks bag of fucks*

Nope. None to give.
    Well, I'm not going to give one.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    *Checks bag of fucks*

Nope. None to give.
    I actually experience irritation. Just like the damn U.S. election, the Olympics will hijack the media.

And maybe I'm not privy as to why there is a negligible risk of contracting Zika while in Rio. Flea Bottom will be shat upon more than usual, as the Gladiators must entertain the nobles.

Rio was a tacky, dangerous choice. Plus, you know, the Olympics. *yawn*

Type
    INTP
    I'm just saying, I heard about the 'swim in sewage in Rio' part of this year's games so I didn't even bother to tryout for the team. That's the reason I'm telling people I'm not competing in this year's Olympics.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.