Thread: Magnesium (mega-dose) helped with OCD-like symptoms!

Type
    INTP

Magnesium (mega-dose) helped with OCD-like symptoms!

I've been supplementing with magnesium for years, but apparently I wasn't taking nearly enough. When I began taking 2 (Doctor's Best chelated brand) pills every few hours just to see what would happen, a few hours later I began noticing massive changes physiologically and mentally.

Apparently a great deal of my issues trace back to low or insufficient levels of magnesium. I even went as far as getting blood results back (in 2013) that indicated my levels were low (1.7, versus 1.9-3.7), but the supplementation I embarked upon following wasn't nearly sufficient. That is, I'd take 400mg split daily, but it was apparently nowhere near what I needed.

When I entered the many grams per day range (200mg every few hours), that's when the situation began to improve. I'm now going to try to get magnesium oil (or whatever version is absorbed through the skin) in order to increase the amount of magnesium I'm ingesting at any particular time. I'm hoping this will correct everything. It's also great, as I'll have a visual indicator (a white film lingering on the skin) to tell me that my body has enough magnesium and is therefore not absorbing anymore.

Has anyone else tried using magnesium in this way? What have been your experiences? Do these oils/sprays/flakes not actually work (not actually absorbed)? Anything else I'm missing?

Add to the mix (300-600mg) Adrafinil, and its likelihood of getting rid of the "inability to do things" problem INTPs have, and it's all looking good!

Elitist Hipster Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Magnesium good for the nervous system. Calms your brain before bed. Not sure about massive doses, but not scant doses. Fiji and Smart water may have like 2%, which is good in conjunction with other magnesium sources such as Celery. I just buy a stock of it, warsh it, then chop it up.

Coconut water has higher levels of Magnesium to about 10%. I like the Zico chocolate coconut water. Airbornes also a good supplement. It's a golden mineral good for the brain, but I wouldn't overdo it. It kinda reminds me of Iron from pokemon good for upping my defense or rare candy.
    Chocolate ding dong

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I take magnesium malate it helps immensely with calmness and sleep (that REM shyt) but u need to be careful with supplementing it's all a delicate balance, listen to your body. Since I eat gluten free and a lot of rice I have some calcium on hand since grains can leech your nutrients. I found that I can lose too much weight without rice, but it's all a work in progress...we'll see. I take a 2 to 1 ratio of mag and cal lately that seems to work for me. A standard american diet is so deficient in Mag, that you can take it for a while without calcium to replenish those stores.

Type
    INTP
    I have pretty severe anxiety, but I have never taken Mag as it can lower the blood pressure, and my diastolic readings are fairly low. Blood pressure meds are often used for the anxiety spectrum, which I used once before I knew my BP was a bit low, and it was ineffective, so I assumed Mag wouldn't do much for me but never considered the possibility of being deficient. I have a lot of mental fogginess and sluggishness, so I went and bought a methylized/active B complex supplement recently and I've been in a good mood for the past few days though not able to tell if I'm having a placebo effect. Waiting on some blood test results that will tell me what various electrolytes are including Mag, among other nutrients, so we'll see if there are any gaps that could be contributing to my issues.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryvius View Post
    I have pretty severe anxiety, but I have never taken Mag as it can lower the blood pressure, and my diastolic readings are fairly low. Blood pressure meds are often used for the anxiety spectrum, which I used once before I knew my BP was a bit low, and it was ineffective, so I assumed Mag wouldn't do much for me but never considered the possibility of being deficient. I have a lot of mental fogginess and sluggishness, so I went and bought a methylized/active B complex supplement recently and I've been in a good mood for the past few days though not able to tell if I'm having a placebo effect. Waiting on some blood test results that will tell me what various electrolytes are including Mag, among other nutrients, so we'll see if there are any gaps that could be contributing to my issues.
    What product did you get? What blood tests did you order? SpectraCell?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    What product did you get? What blood tests did you order? SpectraCell?
    Thorne Research's Basic B Complex.

I got tested at the local LabCorp. Had quite a few things tested, hemoglobin, lipid panel, D, Bs, various electrolytes, etc, just to stay in the loop with my body and try to figure out why my immune system is so shitty and why I get dehydrated so easily in addition to determining potential vitamin deficiencies that can be affecting my stress response. Never heard of SpectraCell so I just looked it up. Interesting to see a company that actually specializes in preventative maintenance. Doctors seem to only see obvious issues and don't look into the big picture. Thankfully I have an experienced psych who is an empathetic big picture thinker.