Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your social group(s)

Type
    xxxx

Your social group(s)

what are your social groups like?

by that i mean the people you spend time with regularly, whether that's in your home, at school, at work, at your hobbies, or whatever. these are your friends, acquaintances, co-workers, classmates, family members, or just anybody you spend time with, talk with and do things with on a regular basis.

do they "get" you?

what's your tolerance for spending time with or communicating with people who don't understand you?

do you "get" them? does it matter?

Type
    INTP
    I get along with my parents much better when I don't live with them, I can tell you that.

Honestly my social group these days is very small. I don't hang out with coworkers outside of work. I keep in touch with a couple of high school friends who still live in or near town. We see each other maybe every couple of months.

Long distance, I keep in touch with my sister, a few cousins, and a few college friends, in that order. Connections are becoming... tenuous... as people have become busy with their lives. That said, I do get the occasional letter or email, which I respond to. I have many relationships that are... thin but strong. If we were to visit, we would be able to connect easily, over many subjects.

When we're not fighting I talk with the ISFJ multiple times a day. He's interested in all the details and the relationships in my life, and he tells me all about his family, his friends, his acquaintances, his past.

I have a small child and I live in the woods. It's had a significant impact on my social life.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    I would also add that part of my participation on INTPx is about constructing a social identity amongst other recognizable identities in a social space. Not just the content of what I read or write but the social element itself is an attraction. ...Even though I'm a relatively minor participant.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    intp
    People in the late 20s early 30s with some disposable income and independent lives. Mostly without kids or spouses, and have careers but are still early into them. Primarily white or East Asian and college educated. Most of them are without extreme political views, and their interests are fairly typical middle class interests.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    xxxx
    I can get along with anyone if they let me. I go to school with a lot of ISFP-ish mothers in their 20s-30s-40s, and we all get along. But I find that people who have an affinity for floristry tend to be flowers themselves. I work with lots of thai people and theyre friendly. Idk I find it bery hard to dislike someone unless they purposely try to cultivate this personality of callousness. Some people exist purely to get a rise out of others, and those people are best ignored.

I dont think I've ever met anyone who "gets me" besides my best friend, but that's probably because we grew up together and shared so many similar experiences. Same sense of humour is important.

I admire those who possess a strong entelechy for their fated passion; those who have an internal sense of direction in life. It doesn't matter what MBTI type they are, as long as they have this trait I will like them... even if they are evil. But evil is often borne out of a lack of entelechy.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    what are your social groups like?
    Few. Small.

do they "get" you?
    They must to some extent, or they wouldn't deal with me.

what's your tolerance for spending time with or communicating with people who don't understand you?
    Near zero.

Related, I generally find that N-types get me and I get them much more than S types. Same for I vs. E. T/F P/J don't seem as relevant, as such. Nearly all of my friends are INxx.

do you "get" them? does it matter?
    To some nonzero extent, else I'd not want to deal with them. If/as such, it matters.

That aside, somewhat as @TeresaJ added, I consider this site/community as a sort of outer-ring "virtual" social group.

Elitist Hipster Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    My best friend I had this insane connection with was an INFP. Now I hang out with this ENTX dude and we seem to have similar personalities.
    Chocolate ding dong

Type
    INTP
    Similar to @Ptah.

For the most part though... I avoid leaving the house--though I structure my life so as to mandate that I do, I also structure my life so that my forays into meatspace remain as isolated as possible. I don't like being around people, and I don't like feeling the way being around people makes me feel. My fists and face clench a lot when I'm on my own in public, or even with people I like if I've been around too many people for too long.

I've been like that since I was a child.

Stupid people think it shyness, even at my age. But being around people is like swimming in sewage mixed with broken glass.

I like you guys! I do! But if our only ability to interact were predicated on meeting in meatspace? Oh fuck that. I wouldn't bother knowing more than two of you--if that! And it would be entirely an issue of propinquity, like, we worked at the same place on the same team or something. We wouldn't hang out beyond work though.

Hell no.

But if we were neighbors or something, I'd be up for hanging out and gaming.

Unless you had cats or children.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INfj
    I have some distinct 'friend groups' that I try not to mix for the most part, although I will always try because maintaining relationships is easier when you can do multiple simultaneously :P

Video Games/MMOs

I have a relatively static group of friends that I play video games with these days. I don't sink nearly as much time in as I used to. We communciate primarily through Discord. They are mostly the trolly, RP-oriented types, but there are a few who like to play more competitively and I tend to group up with them for dungeons and stuff.

They're not the intellectually curious types, except for a few of them with respect to specific obsessions which are not similar to my own, so they definitely don't 'get' me, but I get to be 'the smart one' and be ruthlessly bitchy without hurting anyone's feelings, cause they are all like that. They also maintain their own relationships so that I can, through them, easily find a group for my hobbies when I'm bored.

Tabletop

In the time since I was last active here on INTPx, I got well-recognized in a reddit-based Shadowrun community which does a sort of living-world-style campaign over roll20 and Skype. I scooped out the people I like most in there and I talk to them daily. I only feel like one of them in particular 'gets' me (she's INFP fwiw, and the connection is near-telepathic as you are all familiar with) but the other two are great and the community as a whole contains a lot of older, more mature & laid-back gamers so it's a comfortable place. My responsibilities there take a lot out of me though, so I need to spend some time away doing other stuff.

Work

People at work are super nerdy and introverted. Definitely an NT-dominated workplace, as engineering shops are wont to be. Each of my colleagues has their charms and their irritants. I keep them at arm's length for professional reasons but I definitely feel like they are 'my people' if that makes any sense. It's nice to be able to bug the person sitting next to you for help on a calculus problem that emerged from the thingy you're trying to build, and have them not only know what you are talking about but have insights into how you can do it or better solve the problem.

INTPx

It's a place composed almost entirely of introspection and self-explanation for people with similar (or at least similar-seeming) personalities, so of course I feel like I 'get' you people more than most. I dunno to what extent that's actually the case, but it's nice to be validated once in a while when I bullshit some read of a situation and it turns out to be relatively insightful? idk.

---

That's about it at the moment. It will probably all shift again by next year. I don't really go out, except with coworkers. I live primarily online since I can be more myself there. I'm getting better/more confident at spoken social interaction through practice from Shadowrun; I wasn't getting that from the video game group because their culture is too subversive to cultivate the kind of genuine human interactions you would want for making new connections. I tolerate it because I feel like I'm improving myself.

---

What about you, tele? (can we/I still call you that?)
    Last edited by Resonance; 08-13-2016 at 06:24 AM.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    groups that i hang out with semiregularly:
    1. Grammar school friends
    2. highschool friends
    3. grad school friends

family as well.

All groups have members that get me and members that don't. It matters. I really don't like being in a prolonged conversation with people that don't. Of the ones that don't, I still like them and am loyal to them... but it's just annoying to talk to them... so I mainly try to move the conversation away from them speaking if I can. Sometimes i'm a little apologetic about it, but mostly not. When idiots who like to talk start talking it's like nails on a chalkboard. I often avoid going to the movies with a group if I think there's a good likelihood that i'll be sitting next to one of the ones I don't click with.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.