Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does the Fox Say? Revealing musical choices.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

What Does the Fox Say? Revealing musical choices.

ESFP ex thought song below was clever, because it had "word play."

For the record, I think it is one of the stupidest songs ever written for adults.

Then, her favorite song

that song makes me want to vomit.

Luckily, no Michael McDonald (hate) that I knew of.

Point is, I didn't get it, and we just stared at each other. She would ask if I thought some song was beautiful, and I would say, "I have to grow to like it." It created a wedge. I think we both thought, wow, you're nothing like me.

A pattern of songs -- large sample size -- plus an explanation of why said song is liked can go a long way...I don't want to sound like a shallow ass, here. I get different strokes and all that.

But, really....word play?

If literature choices are acceptable markers of...something, then why not music, too?

Honestly, I didn't have much respect for her.

Thoughts? Examples?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Your fur is red
    So beautiful
    Like an angel in disguise
    But if you meet
    A friendly horse
    Will you communicate in
    Mo-o-o-o-orse?

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Your fur is red
    So beautiful
    Like an angel in disguise
    But if you meet
    A friendly horse
    Will you communicate in
    Mo-o-o-o-orse?

mmmmm

The secret of the fox
    Ancient mystery
    Somewhere deep in the woods
    I know you're hiding
    What is your sound?
    Will we ever know?
    Will always be a mystery
    What do you say?
    Wa-wa-way-do Wub-wid-bid-dum-way-do Wa-wa-way-do
    WUB!

I knew it.

Type
    xxxx
    what kind of examples are you looking for?

almost anything is "revealing" of something, so i'm not sure what the thread is asking

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    what kind of examples are you looking for?

almost anything is "revealing" of something, so i'm not sure what the thread is asking
    Yeah, I'm sorry my threads are usually half-baked ideas.

Just if there was ever one or two songs (or even if there was a trend this way or that) ... IMO artistic tastes generally are "tells" that let you see into a person. This thread isn't supposed to have much of initial structure...it's more of a conversation starter.

I'll add another example: My mom is a drama queen. Her musical favs include Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, and about any rendition of "Send in the Clowns."

I love Frank Sinatra, but anyway

and

I think a person's musical tastes tell you a lot about them. With my ESFP ex, I knew it was over when "the fox said."

Type
    xxxx
    sure, i agree that there's a lot you can tell about a person based on their music taste.

at least it says something about the culture(s) they identify with or understand intimately.

i think my own music taste is considered extremely generic in certain parts of the eastside of LA but outside of my immediate area, it's more "hipster."

in order to form a judgment you're necessarily influenced by certain cultural parameters and your subjective experience, so idk anymore

EDIT: sorry i can't just respond, lol. i might come back to this thread later

Type
    INTP
    I feel like judging a person based on their musical taste is awfully shallow. On the other hand, if you're going to be spending a significant amount of time with this person, you're going to get stuck listening to whatever shit they listen to quite a bit, so...

rhinosaur likes a lot of stuff that I just don't see the appeal of *coughPhishcough* but thankfully we have enough common ground to live together.

There's a lot of music that I'm not necessarily a fan of, but I can understand the appeal of it. Celine Dion is a great singer and I bet she puts on a great live show. I'd go see her in Vegas if she were playing while I was there, but I only seem to go when she's off. However, I do not own a single Celine Dion CD or have a single download on any of my devices, nor is she on any of my Pandora stations. I'd just go to see her talent. I think a lot of R&B and rap artists are talented too, it's just not what I like to listen to. My muscial tastes have definitely expanded as I've gotten older. I even have a Hawaiian station on my Pandora account, and I listen to enough flamenco to get commercials in spanish.

What Does the Fox Say is a work of art. I can't decide which is better, the song or the video.

Type
    INfj
    I think the reasons they like the music they like will tell you more about them than the music itself. As an example, would you have felt the same way if she liked What Does The Fox Say as an extreme example of how a catchy synth line and good-looking musician is more important for mass appeal than meaningful lyrics? Or something like that.

Of course, depending on the person, it might be difficult for them to identify why they like something, or they may be parroting others' opinions (thus the reason they like a piece is social pressure rather than a developed personal sense of taste). Personally, I like it when people are introspective and seek understanding of themselves, so the readiness and complexity of an answer, and the ability to have a dialogue about it, says more about them than the particular reasoning they give.

Or if someone has a background in music, they might have an informed/educated opinion. A lot of music students hate Let It Go for being so popular despite being musically uninteresting, formulaic, and pandering. Which it is. I really like it, though, even in light of that - probably because Idina Menzel is a fantastic singer. And maybe because the mass appeal of it reflects a cultural shift that I really appreciate and identify with.

idk lol.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    sure, i agree that there's a lot you can tell about a person based on their music taste.

at least it says something about the culture(s) they identify with or understand intimately.

i think my own music taste is considered extremely generic in certain parts of the eastside of LA but outside of my immediate area, it's more "hipster."

in order to form a judgment you're necessarily influenced by certain cultural parameters and your subjective experience, so idk anymore

EDIT: sorry i can't just respond, lol. i might come back to this thread later
    Good point, I defaulted to the Baby Boomers - Millennial groups who probably listen to commercial - other music generally accepted as having artistic value (classical, jazz). I am most familiar with western genres and the age cohort previously listed. I have no knowledge of religious music (except for Klezmer), and really no knowledge of non-western music.

So, the inferences I make only apply to those above. I mean, if someone from India heard a cute pop song and loved it, that's not an equivalent situation due to different background, exposure, etc...you get me.

Whew. Heh. But....the aim is the same, after adjusting for the factors you listed.

Subjective experiences may render one fond of a bad song, out of sentimentality:

Here

I have a strong sentimental attachment to this song because I associate it with drifting for hours in the ocean as a young child -- it represents some idea of a gentle voyage w. no destination.

Type
    INTP
    @Lurker, regarding the fox song--I'd say it was more obnoxious than stupid. I have a few problems with it. The first is that the first verses are so clunky. I get the intent, but it needs way more polish and I don't think it will stop being a turd. The following verses are infinitely more lyrical and therefore more interesting--until the sound guessing stages are reached. But I think those could have been made listenable if they'd found the right producer to get them to settle into the mix. Instead they are jarring lumps schlumping along above and detached from the music.

The other problem I have is I think they fucked up the wordplay--or rather, I can see a tremendous opportunity for a really cute song where 'fox' means 'hottie', but instead I can't help but feel like they utterly missed the pun and are playing it straight--or possibly furry bait. Though again, as furry fetish fuel, I feel it fell far short of its full yiff-yiff potential. This isn't to say I think it needed more yowling noises, but rather, I think the lyrics should have been made more overtly sexy.

I've heard the hounds howling
    The coo of pigeons blushing through
    The ironic hissing of
    the lizard and the snake

Sometimes the mares will whicker
    And sometimes they snort and they say "neigh"
    Ewes bleat sweetly but I
    Just don't know what sounds the foxes make

I've known a screaming eagle
    Felt thrumming pussy on my lap
    And by a milch cow once I was
    udderly mooved to my thirst slake

But what I really wonder
    What sounds would a vixen make?
    If I were only more clever
    But they outfox me every play

See? Was that so hard? Took me like, 10 minutes. If I cared I could smooth it out and make it actually good.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.