Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poetry study group

Type
    INTP

Poetry study group

*gauging interest klaxon*

Coursera's emails recently recommended this course in poetry writing and I was thinking of auditing it. But then I thought that since a few of you are also interested in poetry maybe if a few of us did the course exercises we could form a little critique/study group.

Anyone interested?

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    i would participate in poetry related things here, but i wouldn't sign up for a course... so yes, but with a limitation...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INFP
    Me!

Type
    INTP
    Maybe, but I mainly got into writing poetry as it's a good outlet for Ne (free-form stream of consciousness). If the class would help overall, then I'm all about it, but if it would just structure/suffocate/limit what I'm doing, then it's not for me. Also, I'm not sure if I'd be able to finish if the course is drug out over a long period of time.

Type
    INTP
    Alright... well, I watched a few of the videos and decided that the class is probably a bit too basic for me and the guy's delivery was annoying.

So... what about having a weekly prompt that a bunch of us try using? I'm happy to post a bunch of prompts but if other people think of or come across any good ones they can contribute them too. I'd want to put the thread in one of the member-only areas because I don't like to post unpublished work in public places.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Alright... well, I watched a few of the videos and decided that the class is probably a bit too basic for me and the guy's delivery was annoying.

So... what about having a weekly prompt that a bunch of us try using? I'm happy to post a bunch of prompts but if other people think of or come across any good ones they can contribute them too. I'd want to put the thread in one of the member-only areas because I don't like to post unpublished work in public places.
    I like time-sensitive "stream of consciousness" type prompts. That is, write (without making edits) for 5-15 minutes on the following word: "confluent." Like oneword.com. The more it helps me tap into Ne (very relaxing and helps me clear my head), the better. Past that, I'm not really into poetry.

I have all my "stream of consciousness" writings collected here: http://hellopoetry.com/joel-johnson/. That site may be a good one to collect writings, follow who you like, and to get feedback/likes.

Type
    INFP
    That sounds good to me!

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...

that sounds enjoyable... the idea of more than one prompt appeals to me...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Cancerous autism in a can Eli Porter's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    study this

death deserves no admiration
    a reputation so second rate deserving to be forgotten
    language lacks a verb for just how suffocating and miserable I will be to him
    I continue summoning him with insults
    hm, patiently waiting for me I see
    you're unwilling to admit it but
    no one benefits tangibly from death these days, from you
    because if they had access to your inner most thoughts, like I do, they'ed feel betrayal at how dull we've all grown in your senile derangement
    how distance from our arrangement has multiplied in your old age
    you don't exist old man, you're a sham!
    I'm disgusted by your pretentious labors to impress right now, me, your ego, haunting so transparently
    I can smell your fear
    you're like a naked insect capsized with vertigo at my hugeness, at its nothingness
    death is motionless
    I imagine my blade inching back his tattered hood
    I lean in to see his face is a disfigured tangle of bone and pitch-black caverns of negative space
    I touch him lower, he clenches, stiffening, terrified as my darkness engorged pupils ricochet in his
    his sphincter must be quivering by now, or some such variety I assume, it knows no distinction between pain and pleasure
    I'm feeling cavalier now
    my blade climbs higher reaching a latitude where with a subtle lift of my eyebrow I bare my teeth pantomiming how I could make my inscription
    he gasps a plaintive wail that echoes
    perhaps to signal god who happily obliges my intervention, my attempt at tearing out a page
    the shadowy mast of my blade scuds across death's face
    a fragment of a sentence scatters in an instant
    the poltergeist attempts retreat but not before I draw first blood
    the red is oozing; the atoms are vibrating
    I leave him wounded to contemplate fate
    oh how bitter sweet this would be
    Last edited by Eli Porter; 05-22-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Sig-worthy....

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli Porter View Post
    study this

death deserves no admiration
    a reputation so second rate deserving to be forgotten
    language lacks a verb for just how suffocating and miserable I will be to him
    I continue summoning him with insults
    hm, patiently waiting for me I see
    you're unwilling to admit it but
    no one benefit tangibly from death these days, from you
    because if they had access to your inner most thoughts, like I do, they'ed feel betrayal at how dull we've all grown in your senile derangement
    how distance from our arrangement has multiplied in your old age
    you don't exist old man, you're a sham!
    I'm disgusted by your pretentious labors to impress right now, me, your ego, haunting so transparently
    I can smell your fear
    you're like a naked insect capsized with vertigo at my hugeness, at its nothingness
    death is motionless
    I imagine my blade inching back his tattered hood
    I lean in to see his face is a disfigured tangle of bone and pitch-black caverns of negative space
    I touch him lower, he clenches, stiffening, terrified as my darkness engorged pupils ricochet in his
    his sphincter must be quivering by now, or some such variety I assume, it knows no distinction between pain and pleasure
    I'm feeling cavalier now
    my blade climbs higher reaching a latitude where with a subtle lift of my eyebrow I bare my teeth pantomiming how I could make my inscription
    he gasps a plaintive wail that echoes
    perhaps to signal god who happily obliges my intervention, my attempt at tearing out a page
    the shadowy mast of my blade scuds across death's face
    a fragment of a sentence scatters in an instant
    the poltergeist attempts retreat but not before I draw first blood
    the red is oozing; the atoms are vibrating
    I leave him wounded to contemplate fate
    oh how bitter sweet this would be
    This reminds me of this episode of the Storyteller where the solder has a magic sack that no one can refuse getting into if they are told to. He catches death in the sack- later he lets it out and grows old. But Death refuses to visti him because he's afraid of the sack. The solder is played by the hunter in Jurassic Park who say's "Clever girl" befiore he dies.

scene here:

entire episode here:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59yb47

When Death DID catch up to him:

The Storyteller is excellent- I thought it would be hokey, but nah! One can see it on Prime currently. Oddly, I've followed it with Merlin so it seems I was mean to hear Sir John Hurt a while longer.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.