Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Hitler is Horrifying

Type
    INTP

Why Hitler is Horrifying

Inspired by @Lurker 's post in the little questions thread, I've been thinking about this some more, and I think I have an answer.

I wanted to give it its own thread because my thought is so profound (!). Kidding. (Not really).

But no seriously... I think that Stalin is not horrifying precisely because, as Lurker put it, he seemed to have a straightforward disregard for human life. It's tragic, but it's not... existentially threatening.

Hitler, on the other hand, is horrifying because his massacre, the Holocaust, is precisely the taboo desire of the humanist elite. There's probably a specifically psychological term for this... But if you're concerned about global human welfare, overpopulation, economic development... Some part of you (and me), in the deepest corner of your soul, believes that the world would be better off if all of unwanted, disruptive, or simply excess population could simply by cordoned off, lined up neatly, and gassed.

It's the fantasy of When Worlds Collide, or example.

It's what we're taught about the Black Death leading to the Renaissance. It's why the US doesn't have as many problems as, say, Israel, when dealing with our native population.

Dramatic population reduction can lead to a golden age.

I mean, we know intellectually that it's wrong, deeply wrong, and even if it weren't so horrific, it wouldn't change anything in the long run. The population would simply grow again, all the old problems would start again... If anything, even worse than before, as the ends of such means.

"What to do with all these people draining our resources?" The final solution has a very real attractiveness to it.

That's why it's horrifying.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    xxxx
    Thank you for this post, I was on the fence about hitler before but you've convinced me.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    There's probably a specifically psychological term for this
    Most of you have a bigger vocabulary than me so I feel like you're after a different word, but maybe you mean eugenics?

...even if it weren't so horrific, it wouldn't change anything in the long run.
    I don't think that's always true, and the short run matters too. I think you made Hitler seem less bad.

I don't know enough about Stalin to compare.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    If the species could be advanced to new heights by drastically reducing the population don't we have a duty to do so? There are massive amounts of people that are more beneficial to the advancement of the species than me for fuck's sake. The idea that all life is somehow equal and sacred is absurd.

It's simply responsible animal husbandry to cull the herd.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I think sometimes we do a real disservice by focusing on Hitler instead of the NAZI phenomenon.

As for Stalin, he was a very recognizable sort of Despot:
    >> Become Paranoid of the sort of back-stabbing intrigues that yourself gained power by
    >> Slaughter suspected enemies on feeble whims
    >> which induces paranoia in your most loyal that they might be next --> So they behave guarded
    >> Suspect the behavioral change as a plot and kill these guys also.

This is not to say that Hitler didn't resemble Stalin by the end,but the end is not what's important. Hitler is not what is important. Probably 50 different ass-clowns could have stepped into Hitler's shoes in the 1920s. Many would have probably fared much better.

As for the Holocaust, it troubles Westerners mainly because Jew Hate is a Christian legacy shared by many. Probably the worst thing that happened to the Jews, vis-a-vis the West, was the historical recording of Jesus casting the money changers out of the Temple. As developing powerful societies from the Roman ashes required money lending. Jews were rationalized as a sinless work-around but really Jews just become an external symbol for the Self-Loathing Christians seduced by power into usury.

But mainly I think the NAZIs represent us looking into the Mirror at Hyde.

At the Dawn of the 20th Century, the Germanic peoples represented the acme of Western Intellectual & Technical Achievement in a world racing forward at break-neck speed.

>> Chemical Discoveries by the dozens with waste products like Coal Tar
    >> Cracking open the Human Psyche
    >> Cracking Open the Atom and finding a Cosmic Truth at the same time
    >> Questioning the place of Man among the Machines
    etc etc etc

The Unification of Germany in the 1870s coupled with all that Brain Power led Britain, France, and Russia to attempt to impede the progress of this Upstart.

By the time Hitler decided to dine on a bullet he followed around 80 million war dead to the grave.
    German sons had ushered in the Atomic Age & the simultaneous Space Age.
    While Massive Machines of War Mobilization faced each other astride Europe in fragile alliance.

Thus, it was a Global imperative that we figure this shit out. It is Sooooo very often lost on us today that there is nothing at all different about the People of Germany. But after you personally fight a person or a people you quickly realize that you don't have to search yourself deep to find where Hyde is hiding.

Maybe more later.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

-
    Type
    xxxx
    I suppose one of the reasons why people are still fascinatedly horrified by Hitler is the fact that, contrary to aloof Stalin, he seemed like a real nice guy in certain situations.

As Ozzy notes, the Nazi phenomenon and how he managed to sway an entire PEOPLE is the actual intriguing bit, IMO. Yes, anti-semitism was widespread in Europe at the time, but would Hitler have been able to get to power in countries like Hungary, France or Britain? I don't think so... the people there are generally a lot more mistrusting and a lot less willing to blindly follow a supreme leader.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    what is most disturbing about the nazi phenomenon is it's potential to arise again in a new form... it really wouldn't shock me if it did...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    what is most disturbing about the nazi phenomenon is it's potential to arise again in a new form... it really wouldn't shock me if it did...
    It already has.

Islam in Europe is a thoroughly fascist ideology... and our radical left are the collaborators.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    It already has.

Islam in Europe is a thoroughly fascist ideology... and our radical left are the collaborators.
    the difference is in scale only...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie