Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good word, bad word

Type
    INTP

Good word, bad word

Kali's always using words I don't know, the latest being ersatz. For the last few years I've been looking up words I didn't know to improve my vocabulary, especially if I know I've seen it before and if it comes from a respected source like the NY Times. If it comes from a more questionable source, I'll wonder if it's a word I should go out of my way to look up. I don't think I should worry much about the rarest words out there especially when there are simpler substitutes. This game is designed to help people decide which words to avoid using, because of simpler substitutes or whatever, and which words a well educated person would be expected to know. Well educated = bachelor's degree I guess. IDK, create your own standards, but the requirement is that for every worthwhile word you post, you have to post one that you won't be too judgmental about a person not knowing. Ideally the good word should be among the hardest words that people should know.

I'll start this off to the best of my ability, no offense to Kali or her word.

codicil, ersatz

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    i'll try and dumb it down for you next time broheme
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    sputum, adumbrate

A nurse once asked me about sputum and I didn't know the word but I figured I should know it. Adumbrate I found on a list of SAT words which kind of makes me think I should know it but I'm skeptical and I wouldn't use it.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    embiggen, sparge
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    We can do good word, medium word, bad word too.

abject, peruse, wickiup

Masticate is another word I wish would go away but hear it almost as often as peruse so maybe people should know it.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    BarIII, your fribbling with that improvident gallimaufry of bagatelles and contumely beggars description. Has it got aught to do with anything of behoof? If so, cui bono? It's an incontrovertible attest of imputable apprehensive penury at best and pelting, execrable caducity at worst.*

*Please know that this archly harangue is merely to cully you, not to imbrue or daub your reputation.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    i'll have to masticate (such a fun word, but not rare) on this for awhile... i see what you mean (but i am not sure i agree)...

when i was in high school i had an english english teacher... he once gave me a d on a paper i had whipped up out of nothing... he called bullshit on my tactic of using words my teacher wouldn't know in order to obfuscate (i love that word) my lack of effort... until that point teachers had sort of assumed that if they didn't know what i was saying that i should get a passing grade... i mean, i was the sort that stopped class to correct the textbook... i am not well educated... i never bothered to finish high school (it was such a waste of time)... i think that using words that i need to look up only serves to improve my memory... if everyone did it, they wouldn't feel so rare... i think the most concise word that comes to mind is appropriate... using a lager word to confuse isn't conducive to communication (though even that has it purpose)...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    i never bothered to finish high school (it was such a waste of time)...
    If you can, and I mean this both in a means and willingness sort of way--I'm no stranger to "Fuck it!"--Get a GED or higher. There are people who have managed to get around not having a high school diploma, and even found success. But...

My aunt has worked in retail most of her life. Mostly grocery stores, mostly as a cashier (to my knowledge). Sometime in the last decade or so, she was working for Fred Meyer. She was in the process of being promoted to manager, and there was some paperwork for HR. One of the things they asked for was proof of graduation from high school. She replied she didn't have it, because she never graduated high school.

They fired her.

It was a corporate policy. She'd slid under the radar because her work history got her hired. Her excellent work earned the promotion. But the moment her lack of diploma came to light, they shit-canned her on principle.

You seem like you might be able to just wing the test and be done with it, or maybe a little study beforehand just to make sure--if it didn't rub your fur the wrong way to even do it.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    If you can, and I mean this both in a means and willingness sort of way--I'm no stranger to "Fuck it!"--Get a GED or higher. There are people who have managed to get around not having a high school diploma, and even found success. But...

My aunt has worked in retail most of her life. Mostly grocery stores, mostly as a cashier (to my knowledge). Sometime in the last decade or so, she was working for Fred Meyer. She was in the process of being promoted to manager, and there was some paperwork for HR. One of the things they asked for was proof of graduation from high school. She replied she didn't have it, because she never graduated high school.

They fired her.

It was a corporate policy. She'd slid under the radar because her work history got her hired. Her excellent work earned the promotion. But the moment her lack of diploma came to light, they shit-canned her on principle.

You seem like you might be able to just wing the test and be done with it, or maybe a little study beforehand just to make sure--if it didn't rub your fur the wrong way to even do it.
    i got a ged... study? no, i mostly slept through that test (literally)...

that was why i didn't sweat the diploma... i knew i wasn't going to have money for further education, so i used to the time to hone my social skills...

post script:

i can't recall a time in my life where i needed to study... i do a bit of it on my own, but that is for leisure... the standardized testing they made people do every year in high school? i was 99th percentile... i slept through most of that also... i don't think i will be challenged unless i go back to school...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    i got a ged... study? no, i mostly slept through that test (literally)...

that was why i didn't sweat the diploma... i knew i wasn't going to have money for further education, so i used to the time to hone my social skills...
    I had roughly the same attitude. Except I used the time to read. I got lucky when after my father finished his 20 in the Corps, we moved to Washington. I got lucky in two ways: we left Twentynine Palms (always great!) and Washington has a program where you can go to a community college in place of high school.

Oh, and uh...

Derelict, obstreperous

Hate to completely derail this thing.