Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempts to create a perfect life

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Attempts to create a perfect life

I thought the theme of the Butterfly Effect movie was that it is impossible to have a life free of major problems. He repeatedly goes back in time to try and fix things but other problems emerge.

This also reminds me of 2 straight-A high school students I've heard of. The first one was from many years ago. He killed himself and soon after two of his family members did. The other became an apprentice that had a connection with my job. He also killed himself. Maybe it was related to their successes.

The following video is by the author of "The Happiness Trap"

It talks about the problem of seeking constant happiness.

In the year 2000 I had read books by Ken Keyes. One was about being happy all the time (see an excerpt here)

I managed to master it quite well though I decided to play whatever role in the game of life I felt like rather than fit in. I think we expect threats to things we care about in our lives. I started seeking danger and ended up being put in a hospital because I kept on asking the police where I could find criminals. I believed the criminals weren't seeking happiness in appropriate ways - they weren't loving everything. Taking risks is a symptom of a manic episode.

Another time I was trying to cheat in the game of life (the details). In the end I realised that if I could cheat (like having god mode in a video game) I probably would be cruel to entertain myself - I was like Satan so I just gave up. At other times (see blog about simulated reality) I thought that if I had god-like power over things I'd cause myself to forget about things so that I would avoid boredom. Or I could rewire my emotions so that I'd feel happy all the time. Like how I guess people are supposed to feel in Heaven. But if a problem-free perfect life was possible would things seem meaningless after a while? Apparently the need for challenges is a basic human need. I'm not sure "challenges" fits into the idea of Heaven though I guess this emotional need could be removed from our personalities.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    John, this thread so far seems disappointingly normal. Or is this Sharon posting?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    John, this thread so far seems disappointingly normal. Or is this Sharon posting?
    Allow me to quote from the cheating in the game of life story mentioned in the OP...
    http://www.giraffeboards.com/blog.php?b=1572
    ....It's just a worthless story I've been thinking about... it could be made into a more realistic "Matrix" kind of movie... the story is about a character who has a depressed life and they see a story on some messageboard or something, and maybe in an email... well I guess you don't want to read it. The End

You really don't want to read it. If you do, things won't seem real and people will think you're crazy. DON'T READ THIS!!!! THIS IS HARMFUL TO YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!!!! STOP NOW AND KEEP YOUR SANITY!!! DO YOU WANT TO BE SOME INSANE HIPPY THAT THINKS EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING AND NOTHING!!! THAT'S ILLOGICAL THEREFORE FALSE!!! THE RULES OF LOGIC DEFINE REALITY!!! YOU'RE CRAZY!!! GET HELP NOW!!! WHAT'S YOUR NAME!!! WHERE DO YOU LIVE!!!! I CAN HELP!!!! TELL ME NOW!!! YOU NEED HELP!!! NOW!!! YOU'RE INSANE!!!! YOU'RE CRAZY!!!! JUST FORGET ABOUT THIS NONSENCE AND GET BACK TO REALITY!!! DO YOU WANT TO BE LOCKED UP??? YOU SHOULD BE LOCKED UP AND THEY SHOULD THROW AWAY THE KEY!!! YOUR WAY OF THINKING IS BAD FOR CIVILIZATION!!!!! JUST ACCEPT THAT THINGS ARE REAL AND FACE YOUR CHALLENGES AND FIND SOME HAPPINESS IN LIFE!!! JUST ACCEPT IT!!! AND YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU JUST DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD!!! YOU ARE LOST!!! ACCEPT JESUS INTO YOUR LIFE AND THEN YOU'LL BE HAPPY!!!!! HEAVEN IS WONDERFUL!!! I KNOW SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT THERE IS A HELL BUT THEY'RE JUST CRAZY!!! GOD IS LOVE!!! EVERYTHING IS OK!!! YOU'RE IN REALITY!!!! THIS ISN'T A DREAM!!! JUST ACCEPT REALITY AND BELIEVE THAT GOD IS LOVE OR SOMETHING. YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT OR YOU WON'T BE HAPPY

TO BE CONTINUED
    I posted the message on all three messageboards, using capital letters to try and hammer in my words.....

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    What can we slip in your drink that will make you go psychotic again?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I think the Serenity Prayer is appropriate to reflect on when trying to craft one's best possible life...whether one is spiritual or not doesn't seem too critical, but acceptance of the things that one cannot change, and courage to change the things that one can, and wisdom to know the difference...striking a good balance between acceptance and action, plus the governing influence of wisdom...good stuff.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Robcore: that is similar to my thread "Feeling content with your life"
    http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...with-your-life
    That would involve accepting some problems as normal rather than trying to fix everything....

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    What can we slip in your drink that will make you go psychotic again?
    I'm not very knowledgeable about drugs though if I stopped my medications I'd probably go psychotic again after a while.... I sometimes go psychotic when I'm half asleep at night and my wife can't understand what I'm saying... (I have some kind of logic I'm talking about that isn't actually logical at all)

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I think the Serenity Prayer is appropriate to reflect on when trying to craft one's best possible life...whether one is spiritual or not doesn't seem too critical, but acceptance of the things that one cannot change, and courage to change the things that one can, and wisdom to know the difference...striking a good balance between acceptance and action, plus the governing influence of wisdom...good stuff.
    Yeah, I've been thinking I need to get one framed next to my images of Satan.

Wow, this seems to confirm that the Zippo user should be wise enough to know that smoking is a thing that that they cannot change.
    Last edited by GnarlFox; 09-01-2016 at 12:06 AM.
    The idea that there is more is essential to our humanity.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    That would involve accepting some problems as normal rather than trying to fix everything....
    As much as this is an eye-roller -- perfection is a subjective thing. You noted in the OP that challenges are a human need, that's part of what I'm referring to but spiritually and practically it's also kind of funny to assume that tribulations are "imperfections" in your life. I think people are often unaware of how much "perfection" is actually in their lives because people have a tendency to ignore the root of their goals. In other words if your perfect life is to be happy, perhaps you are *actually* living the happiest possible outcome your life could have taken, and yeah The Butterfly Effect is a good example for that.

From a more spiritual standpoint to be upset with your circumstances, I think, is actually a way of expressing a lack of faith in God (if you're into that kind of thing, which you've said you are). If you believe God is perfection and is apart of all things, then therefore God is apart of all things in your life and those things are then therefore perfect.

But as a human who is also stuck on this planet, I get the experience of feeling a need to 'fix' certain things you don't like about your life. So to that I say another cliche eye-roller: it's about the journey, not the destination. The way I see it is: the soul is eternal and has infinity to experience anything (I mean really think about that, 'eternal' means we theoretically have enough 'time' to live the life of every single thing that ever lives EVER) so why not experience 'difficulties'? What else do you have better to do?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Sloth:
    About a belief in God - I don't currently believe in the supernatural but think I'm very fortunate in terms of my wife and home. Christians believe we live in a cursed fallen world but God has a perfect plan for us. Also they'd believe the destination is more important than the journey since it involves eternal consequences.
    BTW Buddhism says that life is suffering due to attachment. Though at least our suffering is limited by our lifespan. That would be why some people would try to end their suffering early through suicide. Maybe that would result even more suffering.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 09-01-2016 at 08:54 AM.