Page 1 of 127 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: News articles that should be in the Onion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

News articles that should be in the Onion

Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    intp
    Don't be texting in a Florida cinema; it's very unsociable http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/us...iews.html?_r=0

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Don't be texting in a Florida cinema; it's very unsociable http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/us...iews.html?_r=0
    He's claiming self-defense now. The victim threw popcorn at him.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...urtis_ree.html

Type
    Intp
    The popcorn defense now, isn't it? Not I'm a fucking lunatic hater wtih a gun I shouldn't even have defense. These gun toters who cannot even live their own lives will use anything, anything as justification for their lunacy. Shoot them all. I am done with these fucking ' i need to have my rights to kill ' people. Done. I am done. Trash, nothing but trash.

They need their own separate lands where they can go and annoy all hell out of each other and shoot each other.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    The popcorn defense now, isn't it? Not I'm a fucking lunatic hater wtih a gun I shouldn't even have defense. These gun toters who cannot even live their own lives will use anything, anything as justification for their lunacy. Shoot them all. I am done with these fucking ' i need to have my rights to kill ' people. Done. I am done. Trash, nothing but trash.

They need their own separate lands where they can go and annoy all hell out of each other and shoot each other.
    That man is far from the average gun owner. Firearms prevent crime on a regular basis and save lives of innocents. But with power comes responsibility a conceal carrier needs to keep a cool head. Which this man clearly did not. What he did was wrong but you cannot condem all firearms owners/carrier to death for one mans actions that is illogical.
    Last edited by Bartender; 07-28-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    That man is far from the average gun owner. Firearms prevent crime on a regular basis and save lives of innocents. But with power comes responsibility a conceal carrier needs to keep a cool head. Which this man clearly did not. What he did was wrong but you cannot condem all firearms owners/carrier to death for one mans actions that is illogical.
    I bet they cause crime on a far greater basis and take a far greater number of the lives of innocents...

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I bet they cause crime on a far greater basis and take a far greater number of the lives of innocents...
    Your comparison is missing something: the thing it's being compared to. In retrospect, the antecedent is pretty ambiguous too.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 07-28-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    A firearm cannot cause crime. That is impossible as it is an inanimate object. It can no more cause crime than a knife can cut a steak on its own. It is not the tool that commits crime it is the person wielding it. A firearm has no inherent goodness nor evil it is a tool.

The problem as I see it about regulating firearms is that while you can deny access to the law abiding you cannot deny access to criminals. Very similar to drugs they cannot be legislated away, the black market has always found a way. So in essence all you are doing is taking firearms away from those who would use them for good and allowing those who do evil to keep them(since they will not turn them in). Taking firearms away from only those who would turn them in is inherently counter productive. There is no solution to violence, it is a part of human nature always has been and always will be. However we can lessen its effects in multiple ways. First we can increase the penalty for committing violent crime to keep the streets from being filled with repeat offenders. Increase the punishment for those who would use a firearm for violent crime. Actively fighting the violence filled inner city culture that has developed in many inner city areas and increase education in those areas. Increasing spending for the mentally ill and increasing armed security at high risk areas such as schools.

Type
    intp
    Apparently this tee shirt is illegal... http://www.raglanroast.co.nz/hit-me-...amp-c-277.html or so says the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.

Perhaps I need to get one before they run out.

Type
    INTP
    Apparently this tee shirt is illegal... http://www.raglanroast.co.nz/hit-me-...amp-c-277.html or so says the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.
    Why? Because the Maori supporter is holding a surfboard? Surfing is one of the Polynesian people's great gifts to the world.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro