Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: Genetic Testing..

  1. #31
    Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    3,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    OK. I'll gut you like a fish.

    You made a post in which you did two primary things. You laid groundwork for claiming that you were just trying refute mistaken concerns--loaded with soft patronization and weasel wording, and finished with a provocative and open 'sting', blatantly speaking to Sista in a diminutive infantalizing manner comparing her lack of interest to being a fearful child. This was a deliberate move intended to elicit an emotional reaction and short circuit rational thinking. The groundwork was so if and when called on it, you could claim innocence and rely on the emotional dischord to muddy thinking into buying your lame ass wannabe Jedi mind trick. When called on it further, you retreat to the most primitive and childish of defenses: denial and protestations of innocence, followed by some weak poetry as a substitute for the cleverness you lack but desperately want people to believe you possess.

    Your weak game might work on the people around you in meatspace, especially if you surround yourself with the emotion minded, but here, you consistently pick women who are not that in the slightest. Furthermore you lose the one feeble advantage you have in meatspace because here, your words are recorded and public for anyone to see. There's a record of your coprophage emesis. You don't come off as clever, you don't come off as coy, you come off as creepy.

    Stop being slimy.

    And don't bother trying to deny, or claiming it wasn't deliberate. We also have a record of you acknowledging you've read these techniques and they don't happen by accident. They're practiced rhetoric tricks, and there is no advantage in claiming to be a natural. All you're saying then is that you are inherently a creepy scumbag. Not a sympathetic footing to work from.
    Careful dude, the voices might make him do something.

  2. #32
    Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    near a castle
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    WTF is this?
    I think that you're more intelligent and potentially trustworthy than you generally seem, but your pretensions do a good job of hiding those qualities and alienating you. Look at yourself honestly, and act based on the results of your introspection, and others will believe you and respect you more than they do now.

    ( fuck I'm becoming one of those moralizing elementary school teachers. Couldn't help myself though. These things get under my skin.)

  3. #33
    Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Careful dude, the voices might make him do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I think that you're more intelligent and potentially trustworthy than you generally seem, but your pretensions do a good job of hiding those qualities and alienating you. Look at yourself honestly, and act based on the results of your introspection, and others will believe you and respect you more than they do now.

    ( fuck I'm becoming one of those moralizing elementary school teachers. Couldn't help myself though. These things get under my skin.)
    I'm even more confused now, though lacking in the necessary amount of interest and motivation to continue prodding, nudging, or inquiring in the direction of figuring out whatever it is you're all trying to say (which is probably nothing, as otherwise you'd have said it by now).

  4. #34
    Homo siderius Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,175
    INTPx Award Winner
    I believe the perception of what is happening here varies wildly according to whose pov we have. From mine, it went like this.

    Genetics. Hey, I'm interested in this topic. Here's my input on how you shouldn't rely too heavily on genetic data to determine your needs/problems/etc. It is only one piece of the puzzle..as bacon said.

    Bacon-- I am curious if I have this one gene. If I have it, it will mean I should do all these certain things.

    Me--you can find out about that gene in 23 and me, here's how, and here's my genotype

    Bacon--btw, you should take these 7 things as they were made for people like you, and I'm curious to see how you will respond given your genotype.

    Me--I don't need these things because I don't think I am deficient in the areas they improve and I am satisfied with being the way I am. But hey, we could still discuss this anecdotally.

    Bacon--That's not how it works. Why don't you take all of these tests and then take the 7 things and then take the tests again and share all your genetic data with me. if you would only let go of the idea that the changes were permanent and stop crying to your mommy that you are afraid to change, you would take these things and you would see that it makes you better.

    Me--I said I didn't want to and insulting me won't change that. Also, you can't learn anything from me giving you all this data because statistics. Also, what qualifies you to push this stuff.

    Bacon--I didn't insult you. If you would just read about the things I'm prescribing, you'd take them. Here, let me explain again why you should take these things. Also, I don't need to be qualified because if you would just read stuff on the internet, you'd see I am right. Something non-sequiter about sex appeal or something (probably because of a misunderstanding of the intent behind my use of the word "negging.)

    Me-- ..wait where is this sex thing coming from? That's not what I meant about negging. I meant you recast my satisfaction as fear. And why should I believe you are qualified to push these things on people?

    Bacon-- I didn't neg you, I said your concerns are not valid. Also, let me repeat the stuff I said so that you can read about it on the internet because I still am not convinced that you really don't want it.

    Heph--you did too insult her. it's right here.

    Bacon--what? did not.

    Me--I CAN read stuff on the webz. see, here's the stuff I found. None of it invalidates my decision.

    Heph--did too and you know it.

    Bacon-- the stuff you read still doesn't convince me that you shouldn't take these things because nothing will. I'll keep going no matter what you say because you cannot possibly know what is best for you better than me.

    Bacon -- poem (i didn't read it)

    Me-- I get it and I still don't want the supplements. Option C, dammit.

    Heph -- dude, you are mansplaining supplements to a fucking biologist can't you see what you are doing? Gah...it's making me crazy that you can't see.

    Bacon -- I don't understand what I have done wrong. Oh, and sista, if you don't want to take the supplements, you don't have to. I won't press.

    Neville -- bacon be crazy

    Dot -- why can't we all just get along?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  5. #35
    Homo siderius Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,175
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    I'm even more confused now, though lacking in the necessary amount of interest and motivation to continue prodding, nudging, or inquiring in the direction of figuring out whatever it is you're all trying to say (which is probably nothing, as otherwise you'd have said it by now).
    When it comes to supplements, you turn into a Pentecostal. You believe in nootropics. You believe they'll make me better. You can't stand that I won't accept your supplements as my savior from the hell of procrastination and step into the light of increased intelligence and focus that they offer. Sometimes really devout people only get along with those who share their beliefs.

    I appreciate that you shared your supplement suggestions with me, you just got really pushy. Magazine salesman pushy.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  6. #36
    Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    When it comes to supplements, you turn into a Pentecostal. You believe in nootropics. You believe they'll make me better. You can't stand that I won't accept your supplements as my savior from the hell of procrastination and step into the light of increased intelligence and focus that they offer. Sometimes really devout people only get along with those who share their beliefs.

    I appreciate that you shared your supplement suggestions with me, you just got really pushy. Magazine salesman pushy.
    I don't believe in nootropics that strongly. Most of them had no effect on me. I believe certain nootropics are more likely to work for certain people-- with certain indicators/conditions that practically scream they should try the things out. That's it. And as I wait for my genetic kit to make it back to the test lab (and to be processed), I'm hoping it will tell me something worthwhile (or that I want to hear).

    I didn't know INTPs were so sensitive they'd be insulted by, "oh no, I want my mommy, I don't want to change." Profound.

    You are now sliding in mentioning that you're a Biologist, as though that's supposed to mean something to me. The overlap between biologist and understanding of the brain and nervous system is minor. But as has been made clear here (with your point of view about the things I listed out), regardless of what a Biologist is claimed to know, you are still unclear on things. But let me not push the issue, lest me trying to clear things up get twisted, mangled, and warped to the point I sound like a "pushy salesman" or a "neggin PUA" or wherever the hell else you're all going with all that you have to say.

    You don't appreciate the poem? The poetic aside, an interlude that sits separate from all else? I mean, it's (clearly, eh?) my poor and feeble attempt to overcompensate for the cleverness I lack. And in it all and in all my doings and sayings, it just adds to the aura that leaves me coming across as-- creepy and slimy-- and it's for me to see, as it's just clearly there.

    Sometimes you just have to repeat things back to people, so they can feel better about the whatevers of whatever they believed they have said.

    As for you, I didn't believe they'd make you better. I had strong reason to think they would, and so was curious to mention them to you, to see if they in fact would (or, more generally, what effect they had-- period). Also, given how basic (and well known/studied) most of the things ended up being, I wasn't really expecting there to be any fear surrounding trying them. But alas, so it unraveled, as can be seen above, and so now here I am-- saying whatever.
    Last edited by baccheion; 09-07-2016 at 09:17 PM.

  7. #37
    Homo siderius Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,175
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    I don't believe in nootropics that strongly. Most of them had no effect on me. I believe certain nootropics are more likely to work for certain people-- with certain indicators/conditions that practically scream they should try the things out. That's it. And as I wait for my genetic kit to make it back to the test lab (and to be processed), I'm hoping it will tell me something worthwhile (or that I want to hear).

    I didn't know INTPs were so sensitive they'd be insulted by, "oh no, I want my mommy, I don't want to change." Profound.

    You are now sliding in mentioning that you're a Biologist, as though that's supposed to mean something to me. The overlap between biologist and understanding of the brain and nervous system is minor. But as has been made clear here (with your point of view about the things I listed out), regardless of what a Biologist is claimed to know, you are still unclear on things. But let me not push the issue, lest me trying to clear things up get twisted, mangled, and warped to the point I sound like a "pushy salesman" or a "neggin PUA" or wherever the hell else you're all going with all that you have to say.

    You don't appreciate the poem? The poetic aside, an interlude that sits separate from all else? I mean, it's (clearly, eh?) my poor and feeble attempt to overcompensate for the cleverness I lack. And in it all and in all my doings and sayings, it just adds to the aura that leaves me coming across as-- creepy and slimy-- and it's for me to see, as it's just clearly there.

    Sometimes you just have to repeat things back to people, so they can feel better about the whatevers of whatever they believed they have said.

    As for you, I didn't believe they'd make you better. I had strong reason to think they would, and so was curious to mention them to you, to see if they in fact would (or, more generally, what effect they had-- period). Also, given how basic (and well known/studied) most of the things ended up being, I wasn't really expecting there to be any fear surrounding trying them. But alas, so it unraveled, as can be seen above, and so now here I am-- saying whatever.
    And again with the false dichotomy. Take the drugs. Whatsamatter... are you scared?

    I do not need them. I also don't take nsaids unless i need them because there is always risk associated with taking anything. I'm not afraid to take them when i need them but i also don't take them just because they cure problems i don't have just to see if I'll feel better when i already feel fine. A cost benefit analysis is not fear.

    It wasn't mentioning the supplements that got us here. You get that, right? I am merely compelled to argue that if someone says they do not want to take otc or prescription substances, it is morally grey for you to attempt to manipulate them into doing so by telling them they are just scared. I was never in any danger of being manipulated by you, and a large part of me thinks that anyone who is that easily manipulated gets what they get, but on the other hand it still annoys me that you are doing it.
    And that's not a commentary on the supplements themselves. Some of them may be very fine tools for those that need them. It is solely a commentary on you telling someone the only reason they won't take your prescription is that they are too scared too do it. I'd react the same way if you were pushing someone into taking aspirin when they told you they did not need or want it.

    It doesn't even matter whether I'm a biologist or not. That just made it incidentally more ridiculous than it would be if i was, say, a 16 year old high school drop out or something.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  8. #38
    Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    And again with the false dichotomy. Take the drugs. Whatsamatter... are you scared?

    I do not need them. I also don't take nsaids unless i need them because there is always risk associated with taking anything. I'm not afraid to take them when i need them but i also don't take them just because they cure problems i don't have just to see if I'll feel better when i already feel fine. A cost benefit analysis is not fear.

    It wasn't mentioning the supplements that got us here. You get that, right? I am merely compelled to argue that if someone says they do not want to take otc or prescription substances, it is morally grey for you to attempt to manipulate them into doing so by telling them they are just scared. I was never in any danger of being manipulated by you, and a large part of me thinks that anyone who is that easily manipulated gets what they get, but on the other hand it still annoys me that you are doing it.
    And that's not a commentary on the supplements themselves. Some of them may be very fine tools for those that need them. It is solely a commentary on you telling someone the only reason they won't take your prescription is that they are too scared too do it. I'd react the same way if you were pushing someone into taking aspirin when they told you they did not need or want it.

    It doesn't even matter whether I'm a biologist or not. That just made it incidentally more ridiculous than it would be if i was, say, a 16 year old high school drop out or something.
    "Recast as fear? No, I said your concern (about the supplements inducing permanent change) isn't really valid."

    I'm also wondering why I'm (arguing/) going back and forth with you. I doubt very much I tried to force you to take these supplements, especially by using an argument equivalent to, "what? too scared, chicken?"

    You brought up several points, then I responded with my point of view ("there isn't much there") and a few reasons. After which, you kept going, then soon enough it was time for the big H to step in and "gut me like a fish."

  9. #39
    malarkey oxyjen's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,900
    How long does it usually take for 23andme to get results back to you?

    My sample was delivered to them on Monday, but it says it takes 2-4 weeks for the lab to "receive" it (aka, actually start doing anything with it). Anyone remember the general turn-around from when they start to when they receive the results?

    I plan to supplement the hell out of myself based on the what data I get (intend to run the promethease afterward, thanks @last_caress, getting info from a site like this made me pull the trigger on doing the testing. Er, adding the kit to my Christmas list anyway).

  10. #40
    Very stable genius BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,850
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    How long does it usually take for 23andme to get results back to you?

    My sample was delivered to them on Monday, but it says it takes 2-4 weeks for the lab to "receive" it (aka, actually start doing anything with it). Anyone remember the general turn-around from when they start to when they receive the results?

    I plan to supplement the hell out of myself based on the what data I get (intend to run the promethease afterward, thanks @last_caress, getting info from a site like this made me pull the trigger on doing the testing. Er, adding the kit to my Christmas list anyway).
    6-8 weeks. You'll get this email:

    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing your own genetic data
    By gator in forum Health & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 03:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •