Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suspension of Disbelief - Post Plot Holes

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    In the second Star Trek reboot movie, they say they need Khan's blood to revive Kirk, but they have 72 people with blood like Khan's just sitting there in cryo tubes.

(This thread has the potential to derail my productivity. Step away from the thread, sista.)
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Anti-reflex on the glasses of some Mad Men, but they aren't the only fictional characters wearing anti-reflex before personal computers.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Walking Dead is years and years past the point where gas would have gone bad, but they still drive.
    Almost all zombie movies. One little bite and you are toast, but you can explode an entire zombie head, saliva and all, into an open wound, smear zombie guts all over your body for smell camo, eat a sandwich after decapitating a zombie without washing your hands, etc. I want to see a zombie apocalypse that requires emergency worker level ppe in all zombie fighting badasses.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The way the stargate series doesn't even bother with some sort of universal translator to explain how everyone in the universe speaks English. They have a linguist on the team. WTF? I mean in Star Trek, they say they have a machine that translates...yes, the lip movement, yadda yadda, but at least they make an effort. In FarScape (which I LOVE), they have the translation microbes. I know neither of those things is particularly feasible, but at least acknowledge that language barriers exist. (I forgive you Stargate SG1, for your many many issues, because you gave me Samantha Carter, the most well written female sci fi character ever....except in that one very early episode.)

(I feel like I need to get drunk and unload in this thread...you know, for closure.)

PS: First X-Men movie, if the the X gene was carried on the Y chromosome, there would be no female mutants. Go to fucking high school for FSM's sake. Also, it's called the X gene.

Type
    INTP
    Walking Dead is years and years past the point where gas would have gone bad, but they still drive.
    Seriously, why are there so many dead people in traffic jams? and miles upon miles of abandoned cars on the highways? drives me nuts.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    IXTP
    Most of the Netflix superhero shows have holes bigger than their plots.

Type
    INTP
    Unless the zombie virus only spared the dullest examples of homo sapiens, I think the entire series is a plot hole. Given the characteristics of the zombies, relatively slow, easily led, slow to revive (hours) a variety of low tech armor/weapons and tactics could clear the Earth of undead.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Unless the zombie virus only spared the dullest examples of homo sapiens, I think the entire series is a plot hole. Given the characteristics of the zombies, relatively slow, easily led, slow to revive (hours) a variety of low tech armor/weapons and tactics could clear the Earth of undead.
    But isn't it the case that everyone in that world who dies becomes a zombie? That is, they're all infected. So even if you cleared the undead out and created civilization anew, you'd have to be very careful about not letting any deaths go unnoticed.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    But isn't it the case that everyone in that world who dies becomes a zombie? That is, they're all infected. So even if you cleared the undead out and created civilization anew, you'd have to be very careful about not letting any deaths go unnoticed.
    Of course that brings up another plot hole...they are all already infected, so why do zombie bites turn them?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Of course that brings up another plot hole...they are all already infected, so why do zombie bites turn them?
    It would make sense if zombie bites just kill them.

I'm surprised we don't see more people using zombies as a source of power. They are basically mindless people that work without energy input. Everybody should be driving around in zombie-drawn wagons, that would solve the gasoline problem too.