Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suspension of Disbelief - Post Plot Holes

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    It would make sense if zombie bites just kill them.

I'm surprised we don't see more people using zombies as a source of power. They are basically mindless people that work without energy input. Everybody should be driving around in zombie-drawn wagons, that would solve the gasoline problem too.
    Now there's an idea, just hang some sort of meat out front to the zombie hauling team.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Per the comic, everyone is infected but zombie bites kill. Actually any zombie fluid transfer, like being stabbed by a knife covered in zombie gore, will trigger a fatal fever.

Disposing of the zombies is a huge problem simply because of the size of the dead population.

That said, I've no idea why they didn't just set the quarry on fire from time to time.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Per the comic, everyone is infected but zombie bites kill. Actually any zombie fluid transfer, like being stabbed by a knife covered in zombie gore, will trigger a fatal fever.

Disposing of the zombies is a huge problem simply because of the size of the dead population.

That said, I've no idea why they didn't just set the quarry on fire from time to time.
    Fire ... the great problem solver.

I have a half orc D&D character with a ring which makes her more or less immune to fire. She starts all her stories with "So there I was, on fire..."
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Fire ... the great problem solver.

I have a half orc D&D character with a ring which makes her more or less immune to fire. She starts all her stories with "So there I was, on fire..."
    Immunity to fire is an incredibly versatile ability. You have all kinds of options for intimidation, feigning death, and of course, the ever popular, "You have a flaming sword? That's cool. Meet our immolated warrior."

Hard on equipment though. My groups would have had clothing burn up and metal distemper. Which is nicer than the method I would have used. My gm ruling would be you may be immune to fire but you still feel the burn.

But then, I once tried to get a horse as a dependent. Tells you how I build... Sneaky.

Horse dependent did not fly.

Another fun plot hole you can find all over: protagonists have astounding recovery from grief. Especially true in serials.

Sometimes they acknowledge it, but rarely to a degree that fits reality. More often they have a heroic BSOD, reboot, and either recover more or less completely between post adventure alcohol binges, or they recover and take a level in Badass--in D&D 3.5 classes that roughly correlates to cleric.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Immunity to fire is an incredibly versatile ability. You have all kinds of options for intimidation, feigning death, and of course, the ever popular, "You have a flaming sword? That's cool. Meet our immolated warrior."

Hard on equipment though. My groups would have had clothing burn up and metal distemper. Which is nicer than the method I would have used. My gm ruling would be you may be immune to fire but you still feel the burn.

But then, I once tried to get a horse as a dependent. Tells you how I build... Sneaky.

Horse dependent did not fly.

Another fun plot hole you can find all over: protagonists have astounding recovery from grief. Especially true in serials.

Sometimes they acknowledge it, but rarely to a degree that fits reality. More often they have a heroic BSOD, reboot, and either recover more or less completely between post adventure alcohol binges, or they recover and take a level in Badass--in D&D 3.5 classes that roughly correlates to cleric.
    The wording is "Immune to normal fire." It extends to her clothing and equipment, but it does not extend to magical fire, which, let's face it, is most of the fire in D&D. (Though the ring does grant a specific limited amount of resistance to magic fire.) This party is very high level after all these years of playing...I think she's my oldest surviving character, so it amounts to her setting herself non-magically on fire before battle on a regular basis (she's a tank...it works well), and to most of her tavern conversations starting with her catch phrase, "So there I was, on fire..." (She's quite gregarious, though it is rarely well received.)

I can slip into her persona so easily now it's sort of scary.

Another fun plot hole...digging the bullet out so that the bullet wound is no longer serious. Soon as that bullet plinks into the metal tray that is always handy for field bullet removal, you can start running and fighting again.

Another one...knocking your friends out to keep them from following or knocking someone out as a means to avoid killing them, but they are fine after they wake up. Have you ever been knocked out? That's a serious injury. They make it seem like it's no big deal to just smack someone unconscious with the but of your gun or something. It's possible to crack someones skull and still not render them unconscious. If you hit someone so hard that they fall unconscious immediately, you need to get them to the hospital cuz they might die.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The wording is "Immune to normal fire." It extends to her clothing and equipment, but it does not extend to magical fire, which, let's face it, is most of the fire in D&D.
    That would make it an interesting device for finding the exact moment when science becomes magic.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    That would make it an interesting device for finding the exact moment when science becomes magic.
    I've been warned by more than one DM that my characters, no matter how smart they are, cannot use the scientific method or exceptional engineering rolls or a combination of magic and engineering* to develop modern things. In the case of a D&D game, magic fire is easily defined. We play a 1e 2e hybrid for that character's campaigns, and I've seen it changed from "normal" fire to "exceptionally hot fire" and then defined as "fire with the potential to do more than 24 points (4D6 typically) of initial damage. Since fireballs are 3rd level spells, they are cast by a minimum 5th level wizard and therefore will always qualify as "exceptionally hot." This also prevents things like swimming in lava. In any case, most good DMs have ways of dealing with you if you start to abuse the rules. This DM, if I asked if lava would damage me, would probably smile and say, "Why don't you dive in and see?"

*My combination of mirrors and a permanent light spell inside a tube that can be opened and closed is fine as long as I call it a magic torch and not a flashlight.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've been warned by more than one DM that my characters, no matter how smart they are, cannot use the scientific method or exceptional engineering rolls or a combination of magic and engineering* to develop modern things. In the case of a D&D game, magic fire is easily defined. We play a 1e 2e hybrid for that character's campaigns, and I've seen it changed from "normal" fire to "exceptionally hot fire" and then defined as "fire with the potential to do more than 24 points (4D6 typically) of initial damage. Since fireballs are 3rd level spells, they are cast by a minimum 5th level wizard and therefore will always qualify as "exceptionally hot." This also prevents things like swimming in lava. In any case, most good DMs have ways of dealing with you if you start to abuse the rules. This DM, if I asked if lava would damage me, would probably smile and say, "Why don't you dive in and see?"

*My combination of mirrors and a permanent light spell inside a tube that can be opened and closed is fine as long as I call it a magic torch and not a flashlight.
    I was thinking in character, if you will. Not meta. But yes, that is the correct DM response to that question.

I'm guessing your DM is a Rothfuss fan? Book three is turning into a GRRM wait. Talk about suspension of disbelief.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I was thinking in character, if you will. Not meta. But yes, that is the correct DM response to that question.

I'm guessing your DM is a Rothfuss fan? Book three is turning into a GRRM wait. Talk about suspension of disbelief.
    I have a sense Rothfuss knitted himself into a sweater with 70 foot long sleeves ... but I also think he's got enough sense to write his way out of it...he's a discovery writer, and it's hard for us to wrap things up. For what it's worth, I think his 70 foot long sleeves are part of why I get so immersed.

Type
    INTP
    Another fun plot hole you can find all over: protagonists have astounding recovery from grief.
    This is the big thing that drew me to Chronicles of Darkness. People who go through fucked up shit should turn into fucked up people.