Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Original jokes

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I just flew in from Seattle and, you know how some people's arms get tired? Well, my arms are so tired that, you know how arms fall asleep? Well, my arms are snoring!
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I just flew in from Seattle and, you know how some people's arms get tired? Well, my arms are so tired that, you know how arms fall asleep? Well, my arms are snoring!
    Very reminiscent of Seinfeld's "She'd have to be so vibrant she'd be spinning". I suppose it's a joke now, though whether a good one or not remains debatable.

Type
    INTP
    It's all in the delivery. Raise the pitch after the first and third comma. I think you eluded to being an actress when you mentioned surprising some guy by being in character. You'd be good with this joke.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTJ
    It's all in the delivery. Raise the pitch after the first and third comma. I think you eluded to being an actress when you mentioned surprising some guy by being in character. You'd be good with this joke.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I just flew in from Seattle and, you know how some people's arms get tired? Well, my arms are so tired that they fell asleep!
    The problem with this joke is the cognitive training wheels. Trust your audience to get the gist. If you hold their hand through the thing they'll be annoyed rather than amused. The joke has the potential to be funny if you let the connotation switch happen in the listener's head.

So, fixing that you get:

A. "Just flew in from Seattle. Boy are my arms tired."
    B. "Just flew in from Seattle. My arms are so tired they fell asleep."
    C. "Just flew in from Seattle. My arms are so tired they're snoring."

A and B could work provided the listener wasn't expecting a joke.

B might be a tad too clever for a laugh...as in joke one (flew on plane vs. flew with arms) doesn't have time to land before joke 2 (tired arm vs. sleepy arm) comes in and clouds the issue of what's funny.

A has surely been done before.

C takes it one step too far and your average listener won't make the connection fast enough. "My arm fell asleep," is a common enough saying (in English) that the double meaning will click without effort, but there are just too many steps to take from "snoring."

Aside: I bet "my arm fell asleep" came across as kind of clever the first time anyone said it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Just flew in from Newark, NJ. Pants got unzipped before I started flapping.

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    I was gonna steal that lotion, but I'm not jacking it.
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    I was just reading about "wonton execution" in Syria and I came up with this. Please remember this when voting for Funniest Member.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Type
    INtP
    I was just reading about "wonton execution" in Syria and I came up with this. Please remember this when voting for Funniest Member.
    I will not hesitate to destroy you.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    A headhunter comes home after work and his wife asks him how his day went. He sighs heavily and slumps into his favorite recliner and says 'It's so hard to get a head these days.'