Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Population control: Lesser of evils

Type
    intp

Population control: Lesser of evils

Which would you see as a better form of population control?

1) One child policy, such as what China had (including forced abortions)
    2) No longer providing medical treatment to children under a certain age (e.g. simply simply letting infant mortality rates to revert to what they were before modern medicine).
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    3) Provide people with decent educations.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    3) Provide people with decent educations.
    I had a decent education, but I still fucked a crazy chick bareback and got her pregnant.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I had a decent education, but I still fucked a crazy chick bareback and got her pregnant.
    4. Teach retards how to use condoms.

It's fairly well documented education is decent birth control.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    4. Teach retards how to use condoms.

It's fairly well documented education is decent birth control.
    She said she was using birth control. How was I supposed to know she was a conniving bitch?

Also, get fucked, asshole.

Type
    INTP
    20th Century problem. It takes care of itself when women are educated and work outside the home.

Of course you still have that gap of a few generations before the culture catches up to the decreased infant mortality rate. A population can birth a hell of a lot of babies those fifty to a hundred years.

I vote for birth control in the water. Effective enough to prevent most pregnancies, but not so effective that no one ever gets pregnant.
    ...Although I wonder what the side effects would be for, say, young children who drink that same water...

I guess nothing like that is actually feasible, because someone somewhere would have done it already.

I think it's extremely cruel to drive the infant mortality rate back up after you brought it crashing down, but maybe a more judicious period of adjustment, starting from a high mortality rate and gradually stepping it down in time with cultural changes. That would be... not ideal... but at least you're working with something that people are already used to (high infant mortality rate) and making it better. The difference is that it's gradual instead of sudden. Seems like that would be (would have been) the least traumatic.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Never have sex with someone you wouldn't want to be the parent of your child.

Not ever. Not even one time.

Your mistake.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Your mistake.
    Uncontested. But there I was, educated, knowing all about condoms and birth control, and I still managed to get a girl pregnant that I'd known for less than 3 months. I'm sure education helps, but it's not the solution.

Fact is, we're going to either face the problem through policy, or wait until it solves itself through brutality. My bet is that we'll wind up with the latter, waiting until our current policies cause everything to break down rather than revising anything.

Type
    INTP
    Uncontested. But there I was, educated, knowing all about condoms and birth control, and I still managed to get a girl pregnant that I'd known for less than 3 months. I'm sure education helps, but it's not the solution.
    It is the solution at a population level. If a woman has a job and a family has social security, they have every incentive to have fewer children, if any.

Of course that requires a functioning society.

Fact is, we're going to either face the problem through policy, or wait until it solves itself through brutality. My bet is that we'll wind up with the latter, waiting until our current policies cause everything to break down rather than revising anything.
    Population growth has been tapering off. The question is whether that trend will continue. ...Actually, I'm really not worried about it, because either civilization prevails and birth rates go down, or barbarism prevails and death rates go up.

I think that population coupled with climate change is a huge problem now, but it will take care of itself one way or another.

Type
    INTP
    I don't think overpopulation is even close to a problem...I mean, in and of itself. The issue is the population:resources ratio. There're probably already enough resources to go 'round fairly well...just poorly distributed...but really, one acre tended properly can easily feed 8+ people for a year. We can literally grow the resources required in order for 'overpopulation' to just be 'population'. Modern commercial agricultural practices are not based on efficiency of production per acre, but on efficiency of harvest and the minimization of human involvement(eg. profit margins). By just interplanting a large variety of different crops in the same field you can increase production per unit of area massively while also increasing the pest resilience of the farm.

Education also works...not for everyone, ^obviously^, but as a general rule it is sufficiently effective to a point where some countries are not even reproducing fast enough to maintain current numbers.

I already have 3 kids, and we're considering a fourth some time down the road...and really, the world will be better off for having those kids...
    ...it's kind of gross to see people thinking about human beings as just numbers. I mean, yeah, it makes sense if you're trying to solve a hypothetical problem...but once you start trying to project anything from the hypothetical to the actual, there are real factors to contend with...like the fact that you can't just plug any random person into any random position in society and have that work out. Quality has to be more important than quantity...obviously. I mean, you could have a group of 5 who can burn through the resources required for a group of 20 more adept persons(once again, education is important...not just for reducing numbers, but for enhancing the effectiveness of existing persons).
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung