Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Population control: Lesser of evils

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    She said she was using birth control. How was I supposed to know she was a conniving bitch?

Also, get fucked, asshole.
    This goes back to education. My father educated me as I was approaching adolescence. He told me there's a word for men who rely on women for birth control: fathers.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Table Cloth Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    I have somewhat of a radical vision of treating new borns like adults and not treating them like they're stupid. College, vocation, and everything you learn as an adult learned at birth. Many more kids would have 4.0's, and we should reform education pragmatically from an adult petspective. No one ever really breaks it down. I wish someone told me what I know now. And we can tell the students what we know now. Programming, music, gaming, etc. Imagine if these things were learned at birth.
    I forget but I don’t forgive

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    She said she was using birth control. How was I supposed to know she was a conniving bitch?

Also, get fucked, asshole.
    If you fucked more assholes you wouldn't have this problem daddy.

It's a simple solution dude. Get the baby factories occupied with other tasks and they wont be making babies.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    War, genocide, famine, plague, natural disasters...

Prepare thy anus for the Anthropocene, because humanity is too collectively stupid and slow to change to get it's shit together fast enough to avoid going extinct.

Type
    INTP
    Have the rate of death and the rate of births match, so there isn't any net change.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'd prefer a Mad Max situation to being a member of a race selected by bureaucrats.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    ...and really, the world will be better off for having those kids...
    I don't agree with this, other than the short sighted economic chestnut that it fuels more consumers for more GDP and tax growth down the road.

I see no benefit to the global population being any larger than it is now, and quite a few drawbacks. We will eventually run out of resources. However, I'll be long dead before it happens, so four/five or whatever generations hence can deal with it.

All I can do in the present is my small part. Full and unequivocal support for abortion and birth control. If you are going to have a kid, at least make sure it's planned and not just "oh well, I guess I'm stuck with it now".

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    This goes back to education. My father educated me as I was approaching adolescence. He told me there's a word for men who rely on women for birth control: fathers.
    And keep your condoms under your own control.

I'm not arguing with the shot it gave me at life though.

I'm with @Robcore here on a lot of it. I truly believe that humanity has absolutely everything at its disposal, including the ingenuity and planetary resources, to set up the planet to support billions of more people in a comfortable and thriving circumstance. Humanity as whole however, doesn't value that continuance more than other, smaller, issues.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I don't agree with this, other than the short sighted economic chestnut that it fuels more consumers for more GDP and tax growth down the road.

I see no benefit to the global population being any larger than it is now, and quite a few drawbacks. We will eventually run out of resources. However, I'll be long dead before it happens, so four/five or whatever generations hence can deal with it.

All I can do in the present is my small part. Full and unequivocal support for abortion and birth control. If you are going to have a kid, at least make sure it's planned and not just "oh well, I guess I'm stuck with it now".
    ftr my argument was not that more kids = better, but that my kids = better.

The rest of your post seems to ignore everything else in my post to a point where I'm not even clear why you quoted me in the first place.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    I still fucked a crazy chick bareback and got her pregnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    If you fucked more assholes you wouldn't have this problem daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Prepare thy anus for the Anthropocene
    Nothing to add here. Moving on.