Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Population control: Lesser of evils

Zombie Jesus Bloody School Daze's Avatar
    Type
    xNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Let me read this thread -- yes, I should have done that already. I'm not sure why we're purging people yet.
    Yeah, I don't think we really have to let children starve either, especially since this isn't an issue that's going to come up for an absurdly long time. If at all, sine the current predictions are for the population to stabilize at 9 billion, so theoretically we could make a fix if it stayed that way.

But, even when the population stabilizes that way, I don't necessarily think that means flatlining but rather really slow growth, so it may still catch up to you eventually.

I'll explain what I mean a bit better.

Say you have a planet with a population of 1,000 and they can generate 500 resources without tapping into nitrogen reserves. Let's say the nitrogen reserves replenish at a rate of 500, and that there's 50,000 nitrogen currently.

After seeing this starvtion crisis coming, someone decides to tap into the nitrogen reserves! That takes 500 nitrogen out from the reserves each year, but return slowly at the end of it so it's okay.

But, what happens if the population becomes 1200? Then they produce 600 naturally and need 600, which they can take from the nitrogen reserves. But at this point, the reserves are losing 100 units per year. Eventually, those reserves will be zero. Then what happens? That's basically what I'm talking about.
    If I'm so wonderful then why am I so misunderstood?
    Everybody has a reason for it except me

-Mindless Self Indulgence

When one's life is in your hands, you become their god.
    -One of the villains from the Abraxas Wren series.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I had a decent education, but I still fucked a crazy chick bareback and got her pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    She said she was using birth control. How was I supposed to know she was a conniving bitch?

Also, get fucked, asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Never have sex with someone you wouldn't want to be the parent of your child.

Not ever. Not even one time.

Your mistake.
    I agree with TeresaJ. This is as much your fault as hers, so lashing out at her is very uunfair.

At first I felt sympathy for you, but your reaction is pretty fucked-up. Whether you frame your personal crisis in theoretical terms or not, the anger seething through you (letting infants die, a hypothetical, but...plus, blaming the woman and trashing her, name calling, etc) is scary.

She will bear most of the burden physically and psychologically, I assure you.

I've seen this play out with my sister and nephew, then with the little girl I call J. Both children cried and asked why their daddy hated them. They thought he rejected them. Yes, it sounds mawkish, but this happens. I've seen it twice. My sister had no help of consequence from the father -- not during her cancer, her strokes...however, he did post plenty of pics on Facebook of his Philly Eagles parties.

Edit: Should I just join the chorus? Post in Unpopular Opinions? Whatever.
    Last edited by Lurker; 10-01-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Further explanation

Type
    intp
    Ok people mea culpa, mea culpa. I was drunk when I made that post, clearly it wasn't thought out. We can all agree that I'm an asshole. Let's get back to the topic at hand: How to possibly extend the timeline of our society before it collapses due to resource shortages.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    intp
    This is the wonderful future your numerous children will get to enjoy:

"Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ARGH, what's wrong with you people!?

Here is the groundwork!

Jonathon Swift, who holds a special place in my heart, saves the day!

A MODEST PROPOSAL

For preventing the children of poor people in Ireland,
    from being a burden on their parents or country,
    and for making them beneficial to the publick.

by Dr. Jonathan Swift

It is a melancholy object to those, who walk through this great town, or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads and cabbin-doors crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags, and importuning every passenger for an alms. These mothers instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in stroling to beg sustenance for their helpless infants who, as they grow up, either turn thieves for want of work, or leave their dear native country, to fight for the Pretender in Spain, or sell themselves to the Barbadoes.

Type
    INTP
    Redistribution of resources would lead to the redistribution of the population.

Decentralisation, will lead to more self sufficiency.

More self sufficiency = more autonomy = more happiness = less hatred = more balanced evolution.

There, humanity solved.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)