Thread: Hello

Type
    INTP

Hello

I'm an INTP so I registered. I haven't been around in a long while but some of you may remember as the one who painted lots of dogs and cats and posted them. I still do that, but I promise to post only the strangest and most interesting ones on this site.

So, I do paint pet portraits, but most of my work time I build multimedia courses that train medical students how to use ultrasound machines (which aren't just for taking snapshots of fetuses anymore!). I don't spend much time on message boards these days because I am a freelancer and don't get paid to goof off like I did when I was an employee. (Remember the pre-recession days when you could do nothing at work all day and get paid for it?)

I'm also (still) a single parent raising two kids who aren't so little anymore... one of whom I believe is a proto-INTP... the other is shaping up to be a possible ENFJ. We all build with legos together and play board games. It's generally excellent.

I guess that's all.

Type
    INTP
    Welcome aboard. I like the paintings you've posted!

Enjoy your visit(s).

Type
    Intp
    I remember you. Always interested in artists and their work. Good to hear about your life. This place is pretty cool, so prolly see you around. I hear you on the free-lance contractor self-employed as opposed to full time employee salary, etc. hah. It's still cool though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    I remember you. Always interested in artists and their work. Good to hear about your life. This place is pretty cool, so prolly see you around. I hear you on the free-lance contractor self-employed as opposed to full time employee salary, etc. hah. It's still cool though.
    Well, I do get to mostly work from home and set my own schedule so freelancing definitely has it's positives. It has certainly changed the way I think about my time.

I remember you too. You always had something interesting to say. Think I'll hang around a bit and see what's up.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Glad to see you back!

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I'm also (still) a single parent raising two kids who aren't so little anymore... one of whom I believe is a proto-INTP... the other is shaping up to be a possible ENFJ. We all build with legos together and play board games. It's generally excellent.
    I remember you from intpc1.0 and I'm glad to see you here. I look forward to seeing your paintings.

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the part of your post I've quoted. I've often wondered how children's personalities develop as they mature, what the different stages are if it progresses through stages as such, and at what point a person's personality becomes set. How much of it is nature vs. nurture, do you think? Personally, I was raised by my mother in large part. She's an INFP. The two of us are very close, so it's hard to tell if the similarities between us are genetic vs through her influence in raising me. I wonder if at one point in my development if she'd have looked at me and thought "He's coming along as a proto-INFP."
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Well, I do get to mostly work from home and set my own schedule so freelancing definitely has it's positives. It has certainly changed the way I think about my time.

I remember you too. You always had something interesting to say. Think I'll hang around a bit and see what's up.
    Thanks. This forum simply works better from a tech and mechanics view. The parts and pieces all fit and mesh well, too. Since it's so young I wouldn't have believed it all could have gotten done so quickly. Ptahster took it on as a huge project with full momentum and crushing accuracy for details. A whole bunch of us did our individual little parts too, which gives it a feeling of 'ours'. I think it was really just appropriate to all that was happening in the moment. One of those critical mass situations. It has been amazing to watch it go up and see it be built brick by brick. I got to do 'invites' just cause I felt like it. Of course after doing about five or ten I couldn't even think anymore, life got busy for me again, that sort of thing.

Basically, I think everyone jsut used floo powder to arrive. It certainly would seem to be. For me this will be like the first time Ron and Harry and Hermione were old enough to go into Diagon Alley together to see the wand shops and sweets shops and so on. hah. From Hogwarts to wizarding village.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    I remember you from intpc1.0 and I'm glad to see you here. I look forward to seeing your paintings.

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the part of your post I've quoted. I've often wondered how children's personalities develop as they mature, what the different stages are if it progresses through stages as such, and at what point a person's personality becomes set. How much of it is nature vs. nurture, do you think? Personally, I was raised by my mother in large part. She's an INFP. The two of us are very close, so it's hard to tell if the similarities between us are genetic vs through her influence in raising me. I wonder if at one point in my development if she'd have looked at me and thought "He's coming along as a proto-INFP."
    This is a really interesting subject to me and I've really had my eye on this as my kids have been growing. They are currently ten and eight and I don't think I'll know definitively what their personalities are until they are teenagers at least. I think the first thing that's usually obvious is Extraversion/Introversion. I knew my daughter was an extravert as a baby. She just was tuned into people. When she played with you her eyes were 100% on you and it was all about the interaction. Now that she is 10, there is no question she is an Extravert who would almost always prefer to be with other people than alone. My son, who is now 8, is an introvert. There were big differences in his interest in other people from the very beginning. He is friendly and bit of a people pleaser, but he tires of being with others and spends long stretches of time playing alone in his room. He talks a lot at times, but it's when he is talking about a subject that interests him such as Legos or animal facts.

Intuitive or sensing. This is interesting because I knew from a very young age that my son was an N, but I'm still unsure if my daughter is S or N. Child development experts talk about children being concrete thinkers and though my son is very precise and sometimes over-literal about language (evidence of proto-INTP), he was never, ever grounded in the real world or a "hands-on" learner. So my guess is some intuitives can be picked out early, but others develop later.

Thinking or feeling. Again, it's been clear to from an early age that my son is a Thinker. He is so lost in the arena of Feeling. As I said he is a people pleaser, but he has a hard time even naming his own feelings (inferior Fe?). My daughter on the other hand is a person who is not only highly empathetic, but also, now that's she's 10, able to discuss her own feelings and motivations pretty well. She is also gives clear answers to questions about making judgments based on feelings or thinking. So, the last couple of years it has become pretty certain that she's an F.

Finally, I actually gave my daughter the MBTI test and she answered the questions in a way that resulted in ExFJ. My son is clearly an INTx and I don't think anyone could confuse a proto-INTP with a proto-INTJ since these are really very different creatures. Sense of humor alone...

So that's the rambly Ne answer. Lots of bits of clues that just seem to add up.

Oh, and nature vs. nurture. I think mostly nature. I think how well-developed and functional is an area where nurture has more play.
    Last edited by Arachne; 01-11-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    Thanks. This forum simply works better from a tech and mechanics view. The parts and pieces all fit and mesh well, too. Since it's so young I wouldn't have believed it all could have gotten done so quickly. Ptahster took it on as a huge project with full momentum and crushing accuracy for details. A whole bunch of us did our individual little parts too, which gives it a feeling of 'ours'. I think it was really just appropriate to all that was happening in the moment. One of those critical mass situations. It has been amazing to watch it go up and see it be built brick by brick. I got to do 'invites' just cause I felt like it. Of course after doing about five or ten I couldn't even think anymore, life got busy for me again, that sort of thing.

Basically, I think everyone jsut used floo powder to arrive. It certainly would seem to be. For me this will be like the first time Ron and Harry and Hermione were old enough to go into Diagon Alley together to see the wand shops and sweets shops and so on. hah. From Hogwarts to wizarding village.
    Awesome. Well done then... to Ptah and everyone else.