Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTP vs INFJ

Type
    INXP

INTP vs INFJ

I have almost always tested either INTP or INFP, but I worked myself into a quandary a few weeks ago over the way neither type fits me. I concluded that it was due to being on a continuum between T and F. Then, probably in typical N fashion, I had a realization why neither type fits. I have been reading a lot of material to see if this sudden epiphany is correct.
    I am pretty sure that I am actually an INFJ with repressed Fe. I made a big effort in my 20's to not allow emotion to rule my decisions, even though it did not come naturally to me. The result has been that I also made myself pretty unhealthy at times. I test 100% introvert with highest Ni, but also high Ne. Relatively even Ti, Fe, and Fi depending on the test. I still read people pretty well and work at a job that requires good interpersonal skills.
    Anyone else experience anything like this?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Our house infj, @Neville, spent a great deal of time agonizing over his pigeon-hole in the MBTI mailbox.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Common Sensor Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Are you like this guy?

Type
    INXP
    I'm not really a South Park fan...

Type
    INTP
    The only thing I can offer is that I've always seen my sister as an INFJ, but she tests... I think the latest was ENTP. Part of that could be that because we're so close the contrasts stand out to me more than the similarities. So maybe compared to me she's an F and a J, but compared to most people she's a T and a P. Part of it might be that because we're so close and my dad, who tended to set the goalposts for our childhood, is an ESTJ, she's learned over her lifetime to prioritize Thinking in decision-making.

She's definitely more attuned to other people's feelings than I am (not that I don't care about them, but I have to notice them before I can care; she may not care but she usually notices). Also when we're together she's the decisive one. This restaurant. This shop. This plan. I offer critiques and suggestions. Together we're a good team.

I still think that this INFJ description fits her pretty well. I would say she's not an idealist, but on the other hand she gets passionate about issues that she's close to, whereas I... if anything, I get passionate about the big picture.

CONTINUED: Looking at a couple of ENTP descriptions, I don't really see my sister. She loves knowledge and ideas, but I wouldn't say that the quest for knowledge is her driving force. She thrives on a debate as long as she knows she'll win it, and she doesn't play devil's advocate - she argues whatever she believes in at that moment.

So for me, if MBTI is useful at all, it's useful in the extent that you identify with a narrative description. My sister can test ENTP or INTJ or whatever all day long, but what's useful for me is to identify the personality that I see in her and to think about under what circumstances other factors might come into play.

If you see yourself in the INFJ description and feel like that is something that it would benefit you to develop, then I say go with that gut feeling. Don't worry so much about function orders or tests. MBTI is not a science. Its use is definitely more along the lines of literature - the stories that you tell yourself about yourself.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 10-02-2016 at 04:07 AM.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INFP.

/ghostoftechnical

Spoiler: .
    sorry I can't seem to stop doing this

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by rincon View Post
    INFP.

/ghostoftechnical

Spoiler: .
    sorry I can't seem to stop doing this
    Thanks for the opinion. :-)

Common Sensor Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo38 View Post
    I'm not really a South Park fan...
    I use South Park as my sleep aid. Soon as I turn on South Park, I'm out. But yeah that further suggests INFJ. (I feel like there should be a word for that, further suggests, kinda rusty on psychology. Damn.)

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    The only thing I can offer is that I've always seen my sister as an INFJ, but she tests... I think the latest was ENTP. Part of that could be that because we're so close the contrasts stand out to me more than the similarities. So maybe compared to me she's an F and a J, but compared to most people she's a T and a P. Part of it might be that because we're so close and my dad, who tended to set the goalposts for our childhood, is an ESTJ, she's learned over her lifetime to prioritize Thinking in decision-making.

She's definitely more attuned to other people's feelings than I am (not that I don't care about them, but I have to notice them before I can care; she may not care but she usually notices). Also when we're together she's the decisive one. This restaurant. This shop. This plan. I offer critiques and suggestions. Together we're a good team.

I still think that this INFJ description fits her pretty well. I would say she's not an idealist, but on the other hand she gets passionate about issues that she's close to, whereas I... if anything, I get passionate about the big picture.

CONTINUED: Looking at a couple of ENTP descriptions, I don't really see my sister. She loves knowledge and ideas, but I wouldn't say that the quest for knowledge is her driving force. She thrives on a debate as long as she knows she'll win it, and she doesn't play devil's advocate - she argues whatever she believes in at that moment.

So for me, if MBTI is useful at all, it's useful in the extent that you identify with a narrative description. My sister can test ENTP or INTJ or whatever all day long, but what's useful for me is to identify the personality that I see in her and to think about under what circumstances other factors might come into play.

If you see yourself in the INFJ description and feel like that is something that it would benefit you to develop, then I say go with that gut feeling. Don't worry so much about function orders or tests. MBTI is not a science. Its use is definitely more along the lines of literature - the stories that you tell yourself about yourself.

Thank you I appreciate the insight. Unfortunately I do not identify all that well with any of the narrative descriptions, especially the superficial ones. I have always been consistent as far as I and N, but sorting the rest out is a little harder. Not that it is scientifically useful, but I am rather fascinated anyway. I would have thought INFJ long before now except that I test perceiving because I tend to be messy and running 5 minutes late more often than not. But I am also a great planner and good at carrying out my plans. I like to have structure, I just am not good with details.
    I also tend to be a bit of a chameleon when it comes to the way that I present myself. I can mostly adjust to being whatever I need to be in order to get along with people, or to get a job done, if it is something I really need to do, but I need to have a project or a cause. I am terrible with ordinary routine and boring details.
    I relate very much to what you say about caring about other people's feelings, but sometimes not noticing. I definitely have a tendency to space out and not pay attention to anything that is going on around me, but when I do focus, I notice everything.
    The INFJ description that I relate to the most so far is this one: http://www.josephchris.com/12-infj-s...and-weaknesses
    The things that I do not relate to are descriptions of INFJ as ultra sweet, caring people who will do anything for anyone. I definitely have a dark, cynical side. I am not particularly artistic; I am only creative when it comes to trouble shooting. I am usually good at coming up with solutions to problems faster than most people that I know. But they might have to alert me to the problem before I can do this.
    The biggest reason for choosing INFJ is that the descriptions really do fit when I start researching the darker side and not just the drippy sweet descriptions on most sites. The cognitive functions actually fit very well if I just go by the top perceiving function and the top judging function. It also fits with how I behave under stress.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
    Last edited by jojo38; 10-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Jelly View Post
    I use South Park as my sleep aid. Soon as I turn on South Park, I'm out. But yeah that further suggests INFJ. (I feel like there should be a word for that, further suggests, kinda rusty on psychology. Damn.)
    Are you saying that not being a South Park fan further suggests INFJ? Truthfully I would almost always rather read than watch TV of any sort. When I do watch something, it is usually because my family is watching it, and I am usually reading simultaneously, or playing word games :-)