Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INTP vs INFJ

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo38 View Post
    Thank you I appreciate the insight. Unfortunately I do not identify all that well with any of the narrative descriptions, especially the superficial ones. I have always been consistent as far as I and N, but sorting the rest out is a little harder. Not that it is scientifically useful, but I am rather fascinated anyway. I would have thought INFJ long before now except that I test perceiving because I tend to be messy and running 5 minutes late more often than not. But I am also a great planner and good at carrying out my plans. I like to have structure, I just am not good with details.
    I also tend to be a bit of a chameleon when it comes to the way that I present myself. I can mostly adjust to being whatever I need to be in order to get along with people, or to get a job done, if it is something I really need to do, but I need to have a project or a cause. I am terrible with ordinary routine and boring details.
    I relate very much to what you say about caring about other people's feelings, but sometimes not noticing. I definitely have a tendency to space out and not pay attention to anything that is going on around me, but when I do focus, I notice everything.
    The INFJ description that I relate to the most so far is this one: http://www.josephchris.com/12-infj-s...and-weaknesses
    The things that I do not relate to are descriptions of INFJ as ultra sweet, caring people who will do anything for anyone. I definitely have a dark, cynical side. I am not particularly artistic; I am only creative when it comes to trouble shooting. I am usually good at coming up with solutions to problems faster than most people that I know. But they might have to alert me to the problem before I can do this.
    The biggest reason for choosing INFJ is that the descriptions really do fit when I start researching the darker side and not just the drippy sweet descriptions on most sites. The cognitive functions actually fit very well if I just go by the top perceiving function and the top judging function. It also fits with how I behave under stress.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
    One thing you posted prior to this immediately caught my eye:

"I am pretty sure that I am actually an INFJ with repressed Fe. I made a big effort in my 20's to not allow emotion to rule my decisions, even though it did not come naturally to me."

Most INTP's in their 20's are struggling to find a way to fit their emotions into the world and deal with them maturely. Fe is our weakest process and the last to fully develop. Your problem is pretty much the opposite of what INTP's have. Not to allow emotions rule decisions... wait, people make decisions with their emotions? GAHHH!

INFJ's are up there with INTP's as the biggest social chameleons, albeit for different reasons. INTP's can (and do) analyze the bejeezus out of people and subconsciously tap into their Fe to blend with what they have determined as their situation. INFJ's have a quick and innate understanding of those around them (Ni) and then use their strong Fe to easily communicate that to the outside world. INFJ's are often misidentified as extroverts because they're so good at doing this and seeming natural. INTP's not so much because we inevitably have that aloof period where we're still figuring things out and it is generally painfully obvious.

In regards to routine and a cause, INFJ's absolutely must have a cause and purpose in their life. It is what drives INFJ's and what concerns them. An INFJ without a purpose is a sad INFJ, and will fill that void extremely quickly. INFJ's, to put it simply, suck at details (Se) and it drives them nuts in the same way that INTP's struggle with Fe--they know they need it to see fulfillment. How useful are an INTP's plethora of great ideas and knowledge bank if he can't communicate them to anyone? INFJ's struggle with details in the same way, but they know they need them to confirm their internally born convictions.

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aposiopesis View Post
    One thing you posted prior to this immediately caught my eye:

"I am pretty sure that I am actually an INFJ with repressed Fe. I made a big effort in my 20's to not allow emotion to rule my decisions, even though it did not come naturally to me."

Most INTP's in their 20's are struggling to find a way to fit their emotions into the world and deal with them maturely. Fe is our weakest process and the last to fully develop. Your problem is pretty much the opposite of what INTP's have. Not to allow emotions rule decisions... wait, people make decisions with their emotions? GAHHH!

INFJ's are up there with INTP's as the biggest social chameleons, albeit for different reasons. INTP's can (and do) analyze the bejeezus out of people and subconsciously tap into their Fe to blend with what they have determined as their situation. INFJ's have a quick and innate understanding of those around them (Ni) and then use their strong Fe to easily communicate that to the outside world. INFJ's are often misidentified as extroverts because they're so good at doing this and seeming natural. INTP's not so much because we inevitably have that aloof period where we're still figuring things out and it is generally painfully obvious.

In regards to routine and a cause, INFJ's absolutely must have a cause and purpose in their life. It is what drives INFJ's and what concerns them. An INFJ without a purpose is a sad INFJ, and will fill that void extremely quickly. This is totally me! INFJ's, to put it simply, suck at details (Se) and it drives them nuts (YES!) in the same way that INTP's struggle with Fe--they know they need it to see fulfillment. How useful are an INTP's plethora of great ideas and knowledge bank if he can't communicate them to anyone? INFJ's struggle with details in the same way, but they know they need them to confirm their internally born convictions.
    I had a really weird childhood. Home-schooled, not allowed to have friends or go anywhere. I was shy and awkward but always wanted friends and loved to be around other kids when I had the chance. I think it had a lot to do with my difficulty developing friendships. I have had a lot of social anxiety and am absolutely terrible in crowds - I will not be able to focus on people and my surroundings... and will invariably embarrass myself. But one on one, I am pretty good at getting inside people's heads. The more I have looked at it, the more sure I am that I do have inferior extroverted sensing. INFJ is a better fit for me.
    Thanks for the input!

Type
    INTP
    INTPs are strong Ni users. We use Ni in the Critical Parent Role. I used to mistype INFJ for this reason and I have a healthy, Inferior Fe preference.

http://astroligion.com/critical-pare...briggs-type/2/

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @JRM731 My Fe was caught on camera once.

Spoiler: sista's Fe

But seriously, this is how I see the inferior function of INTPs, especially when we are younger and haven't gotten around to developing our lesser abilities. I almost never get to this point now, but when all the other functions fail I have been known to make a big damn mess.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    @JRM731 My Fe was caught on camera once.

Spoiler: sista's Fe

I think the lens needs cleaning because you look envious.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces