Thread: Honest resume experiment

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Honest resume experiment

I decided to attempt an "honest" resume, inspired by the idea of failure resumes. Wrote it in HTML/CSS so it was exhausting (and tricky to get off the web and anonymize - even my transfer major could make it easy to deduce my identity, so I had to change it to "neuroscience", as well as the name of some awards) and I only listed a small fraction of my work experience/background. Kind of exhausting to write and think about.

I found that it was pretty easy to attribute failure to the employer, but also easy to see ways to diminish my own accomplishments. Overall, this approach will not work. "Failure" resumes only seem to work when they're self-deprecating, never incriminating employers of wrong-doing, while still hinting at being wildly accomplished..

Still a fun way to blow off steam for an hour or so.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Y...xmcU9iMTA/view

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I decided to attempt an "honest" resume, inspired by the idea of failure resumes. Wrote it in HTML/CSS so it was exhausting (and tricky to get off the web and anonymize - even my transfer major could make it easy to deduce my identity, so I had to change it to "neuroscience", as well as the name of some awards) and I only listed a small fraction of my work experience/background. Kind of exhausting to write and think about.

I found that it was pretty easy to attribute failure to the employer, but also easy to see ways to diminish my own accomplishments. Overall, this approach will not work. "Failure" resumes only seem to work when they're self-deprecating, never incriminating employers of wrong-doing, while still hinting at being wildly accomplished..

Still a fun way to blow off steam for an hour or so.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Y...xmcU9iMTA/view
    oh I really like this! It's great! Will you do anything with it?
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    I should try this. I feel like it might clarify some things for me.

I really like it, but I agree that it will never get you hired.