Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oppositional defiant disorder

Type
    INTP

Oppositional defiant disorder

According to the DSM V this disorder is characterized by anger guided disobedience in children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposit...fiant_disorder (Children of alcoholic parents, or whose parents have "been in trouble with the law" run an 18% chance of developing ODD, beginning very early in age)

I suppose children that have been abused can qualify for this if they are sufficiently angry about it, it doesn't specify which authority figures one has to be defiant towards. (For a child or adolescent to qualify for a diagnosis of ODD, these behaviors must cause considerable distress for the family and/or interfere significantly with academic or social functioning.)

Pan_Sonic_000
    I was diagnosed with this bullshit when I was 15 or so.

ODD = "I want to define my child's (or student, etc) identity and life, and they're not going along with it. I can't conceive of the possibility that I might be wrong, so the only reasonable conclusion is that they're fucked up somehow."

It's such a stupid 'disorder'. If you back a dog into a corner and beat it long enough, is it ill tempered when it lashes out at you?

Type
    INTP
    This just in: the DSM is a steaming pile of horse shit. The whole thing.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    This just in: the DSM is a steaming pile of horse shit. The whole thing.
    It creates a market for pharmaceuticals.

Type
    XXXX
    Being a dickhead to people that are doing their best to give you an education is not a mental disorder. It's a lack of personal accountabilty.

Type
    Intp
    Agree, makers. I call it being a little shit-ism.

But, to all the people on this thread who already failed to see this--if you are the parent of someone who tries to stab your hand off for asking them to pass the peas (yeah, I treated kids like that) and you cannot get any help with that (or with trying to stay alive with that in your house) then you HAVE to have a diagnosis for them-- not even kidding.

Health Insurance can only cover treatment, therapy, hospitalization, confinement, committment or whatever IF you have a fucking diagnosis. That is the real reason WHY we have medical diagosis in this country and a whole lot of other countries, even socialized health countries, as well. It's not as simple as for profit consumerism corporate profiteering and all the hog wash. I absolutely DO hate all that other hogwash, too. However, having worked with a ton of these kids who do not have any coping mechanisms AT ALL, and working with the parents who've barely survived them, well if they have to be Opp. Defiant then better off that way than headed straight to prison*, okay? Just so you know.

Calling someone a "troubled child or adolescent" will get you precisely ZERO treatment for them or help for you. Have a heart, cynics. Okay, have common sense then if that's too much of a challenge.

*Some kids with Opp. Defiant disorder if it is a strong trait i.e. disorder, will progress to hurting people and all sorts of sociopathic nonsense. Most of them don't. It doesn't even have to get that far, but individuals and resiliency vary so so much, too.
    Last edited by Hermione; 01-11-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Hm. I was what many have called a "little shit" of a kid/teenager. But I wasn't outgoingly confrontational about it. I'd just stew and orchestrate a backstabbing. So I felt all the same anger, perhaps, but I didn't act on it in the moment. I guess I'm still basically the same person, only more experienced, as such. Anyhow, I suppose I did every now and again react spitefully in the moment. So, I'd wait for adults to directly address/admonish me, and then I'd be a smirking smartass back at them. In any case, I had no time for authority figures, not at home and not in school. I just wanted to be left alone. Disturb my peace, and be (eventually) disturbed in return.

Type
    Intp
    I think a lot of us relate to the oppositional / defiant stance or philosophy of life lol. My knee-jerk reaction to most things new or sudden is to be oppositional defiant or jsut simply stubborn or resistant.

Adolescence is a time of emo upheaval anyway, so when it gets to the level of quote "disorder" territory it generally means they are pretty damned 'out of control' behaviorally. The main issue with kids of O.D.D. proportions is that they are so so so EXTREME. Their reactions are highly over the top and generally not to be believed. And yeah so it's by nurture and it's by nature and blah blah blah. It still sucks as a disorder. But, so does depression. Bad sinuses really really suck, too. And thus is my perspective that it's all a matter of perspective.

When ANY of it is happening to you or to me, when it's in our faces and chronic, well then we begin to take diagnosis srsly. Generally people will opine all over the place about something they haven't even seen IRL or experienced. Having a family member or close associate with a strong disorder will usually make a "believer" out of the cynics who basically believe all medicine is hocus pocus. Srsly. I say to the non-believers: get a grip. lol
    Last edited by Hermione; 01-11-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    If you back a dog into a corner and beat it long enough, is it ill tempered when it lashes out at you?
    Exactly. Also this is why pits are know as "vicious".

Type
    Intp
    Bull Terriers are not by nature vicious in the least. They began getting the name "pit" bulls by breeders in Amerika who specifically used these wonderful dogs as a means of acquiring money and giving entertainment to their hillbilly redneck friends (originally, at least). They raised them up purely to fight each other just as yu get roosters to fight each other (known as cock fighting). Roosters and chickens don't always peck each other to death, but they can be forced or 'taught' how to do that rountinely. Same with a lot of different animals species. Well, maybe not. Dogs, fowl, and humans can be forced into fighting though, for sure. Not at all the same thing that is operating in Oppositional defiant though. Not even close. Yes they are both situations of maladaptive behavior brought about by environment and innate tendencies. The purpose or psychology behind them is fairly different though. One is brought about by the instinct for physical survival. The other for psychic survival and the need not to be enmeshed in the environment but to break free or go thru the dev'tal stage of independence that toddlers normally go through. Many things can cause that not to happen and only one would be poor parenting.

Bull terriers are a wonderful old world breed of dog that man has warped for his own selfish purposes. People who use the word pit should be locked up just for using it. It's an abomination and the utmost in cruelty. Dogs are here to help people but not for people to get their rocks off. Men should find other horrid ways to do that, which I'm sure they are.