Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spotting a liar

Type
    xxxx
    I think INTP are good at spotting liars because most liars don't expect to encounter someone like us. Their whole game is tailored for the masses. But if a good con-man spent some energy to target any Rational, they could have you in a second. They take advantage of our need for shortcuts in understanding the world. It's knowing the difference between ESFJ shortcuts and INTP shortcuts.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I think INTP are good at spotting liars
    I think INTPs would be exceptionally worse at spotting liars because it would require an INTP to spot emotional subtleties that most INTPs would likely miss.

I suppose bad liars would be spotted by INTPs because their lies wouldn't be very rational, but even an average liar can connect causalities.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I think INTPs would be exceptionally worse at spotting liars because it would require an INTP to spot emotional subtleties that most INTPs would likely miss.
    If you're voire dire-ing it up with external cues: voice pitch or blinking, yeah I agree. I was thinking more in terms of an intuitive gut check.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    If you're voire dire-ing it up with external cues: voice pitch or blinking, yeah I agree. I was thinking more in terms of an intuitive gut check.
    Leave that to the NFs.

Except the ENFPs, they're just looking to get laid.

Type
    INXP
    Anyone else here trying to spot who is lying in this thread and who is not, lol.

I think the message here is to learn how to spot a lie, but not judge the liar because we all lie. Catching a liar has never been something I have been good at. I have decent intuition and good reasoning skills, but like other have touched on, it really comes down to how well you know what the other person will do as a lie and what they would do as the truth. I'll be honest, my people skills are lacking and I have weird thinking patterns that aren't normal so I have difficulty spotting what is normal, let alone what is a lie and what is truth.

Type
    INtP
    Interesting thread! I've worked on this for a while.

To answer your questions:

I am a terrible liar.

Off the top of my head, I have noticed that liars justify too much and give too many details. They seem to think that excess wordy stuff functions as evidence or will just confuse the issue into incoherence. In doing this, they are really digging a hole. First of all, an honest person doesn't feel the need to justify [blank] to a great extent, unless by request; secondly, the more details a person gives, the more they need to remember. Most people start to contradict themselves sooner or later.

(Exception: Nervous or scattered people also do this.)

I am wary of any brazenly confident, black/white "ah-hah!" talk. For instance, some people think avoiding eye contact is shifty and secretive. Umm, shyness?

It's careless to explain human behavior without some very tricky, nuanced framing of [any declarative statement].

(I'll watch the vid now)

Type
    INTP
    I think I'm pretty good at spotting liars.

Some people are good at it, others are really, really bad.

Anything from that extra pause you just took, to that extra stutter, or that extra roll of the eyes as they attempt to create their story, or the extra waffle or they extra added drama.

Extra anything really.

I'm mostly good at lying, because I know not to give away any extra anything, and because I tell the truth 95% of the time, people let their guard down the other 5% of the time.

Fools.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    We always tell the truth with our actions, so if you want to be sure then ignore what people say and pay attention to what they do.
    this

I don't get caught up in it or body language stuff. Too much of a mind fuck for me to try to pick up on cues like that. I have a hard enough time paying attention to what people are saying.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Head scratches and duping delight are the big'ns