Thread: The Great Books of INTP Complex

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

The Great Books of INTP Complex

I'd like it if we had threads for in-depth discussion of Great Books, however you'd care to define that. Great books to western civilization (the traditional meaning of this phrase), great books to you personally? Great books to the culture of our community? Feel free to take as much latitude with the title as you'd like.

What are books that you'd consider worthy of this kind of discussion?

What are books you've read that you'd like to discuss on the forum?

Just off the top of my head, I'll place on the list --

Walden by Henry David Thoreau -- imo, this is THE brilliant work of INTP literature

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith -- of the books that usually appear on "great books of western civilization" lists, this one's always been my favorite just as something that's a lot of fun to read

The Bible -- I think it'd be worth a thread or three in a literary context considering its significance to our culture, the idioms of our language, etc.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    The Republic

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche
    Wikipedia: "Comedian John Cleese said the book was one of the most helpful he had ever read."

I don't think I can not read this book anymore.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    I personally find The Timeless Way of Building by Christopher Alexander to be the INTP book (among those that I've ever read, anyhow). Moreover, I feel it should be required (rather: strongly encouraged) reading for anyone who does (or is interested in doing) any kind of design work.

Type
    INTP
    I'd define a great book as something that I would read more than once. Like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, or 1984, or even something as light as Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore.

Of course, a lot of the books that I experience repeatedly fall into my "fun" category. Often I'll read it again just because I really like the author's writing voice. For me, that's a great book.

Type
    INTP
    I want to discuss The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, too. What should we start with?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghank View Post
    I want to discuss The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, too. What should we start with?
    Please start a separate thread for discussing it. Include your thoughts about the book, Toru and Kumiko ... actually, I understand why you're asking what we should start with. Like many stories that I enjoy a great deal, Wind Up Bird can kind of be interpreted in a lot of very different but equally thought-provoking ways. Pick one that you like and we'll start there.

Starjots -- same with Walden. Would you like me to move your post to a Walden thread and discuss Walden there?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.