View Poll Results: How important is it for you to work at something you feel "contributes to society"?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero importance. Do not give a fuck.

6 28.57%
  • Slight importance. But I'll take the well-paid job.

2 9.52%
  • Important. I'd try get jobs like that.

6 28.57%
  • Crucial. I would not take a job that I feel does not contribute something positive to society.

3 14.29%
  • Fuck you Utisz. Your thread is bad and your poll is bad and you should feel bad.

2 9.52%
  • More polite protest option for the weak-kneed.

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vain jobs

Type
    INxP

Vain jobs

I mean "vain" in both senses of the word.

Would it bother you at all to have a job that contributes little or nothing to anyone except yourself? I'm thinking, for example, of a job like an online professional poker player, or maybe some sort of stock market job. Of course any sort of example is arguable and I know y'all be chomping at that devil's advocate bit to convince me that professional poker players are more important to society than nurses or some shit, but leaving that aside, is it important for you to make your money in a way that you feel contributes something to society?

What of others who take an opposite stance? Do you consider them as suckers/freeloaders?

-
    Type
    xxxx
    When I worked in service jobs during my student days, the lack of purpose and the fact that I was doing something every other idiot would be able to do as well (or better) killed me. I'd count down the hours down to when I could get back to my room and do something meaningful.

Occasionally, especially when I check my bank balance, the brief thought flits across my mind that I could still become a decent lawyer, corporate banker or some other soulless high-income arsehole. That thought vanishes quite rapidly when I consider what precious time and effort I would fritter away with such trivial pursuits that could otherwisely go into something which seems to have benefitted at least a subgroup of humanity so far (musicians, listeners) and which I hope will keep benefitting it for some time to come.

If I die a poor composer, I'll be content. If I die some well-off suburban shrew with nothing to show for but a manicured front lawn, not so much.

Type
    INTP
    Zero fucks to give.

Type
    xNxx
    I probably just enjoy my useless job. I liked having a social purpose in a couple jobs, but that seemed like a perk of the job.

Type
    intp
    I work in a job where I assist people who are detrimental to society (real estate, equity, hedge funds, etc) and it doesn't bother me much. If anything, it's better being able to put faces to the people who are fucking us all over.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    xxxx
    i'm a part of society & i prefer my job/trade contributes something positive to my life.

in the conventional sense of "contributing to society" though, yes i'd want that also.

Type
    xNxx
    The corollary question would be "have your morals or ethics ever interfered with your job?"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I wouldn't take a job that is bad for society. I once found myself in another province interpreting a highly confidential meeting about mining uranium without paying taxes, only bribes, basically imperialist plundering, but I stupidly did not foresee that was what I would be interpreting (anything about mining, seriously, you don't want to touch that with a 10-foot pole). Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with working in the service industry and doing things that lots of people can do. I mean it's gonna be a little bit better if I'm the one doing it, but that's just me.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    (...) Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with working in the service industry and doing things that lots of people can do. I mean it's gonna be a little bit better if I'm the one doing it, but that's just me.
    There's a gradient here though, isn't there? Translating still has a rather personal and unique edge over, say, washing dishes or working in a call centre.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    There's a gradient here though, isn't there? Translating still has a rather personal and unique edge over, say, washing dishes or working in a call centre.
    Well, now that I think about it, translating MTV reality shows is probably detrimental to society, hahaha. But yeah, I wanna stop doing that soon. Working at a call center seems fine to me and I have done it, after all, someone has to take the poor bastard's calls and help them with their problem. I think that contributed more to society than this MTV stuff I'm doing now. Like I felt good about helping people at that job because we had almost become a BackOffice that only got the fucked up cases, whereas right now I oscillate between morbid curiosity in who will hook up next at the beachside mansion in the Dominican Republic and wanting to blow my brains out. xD
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao