Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book Recommendations

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Anybody read any great US Civil War biographies*?

*not Lincoln

I've already read Grant's fantastic memoirs

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    Check out Airframe by Michael Crichton.
    I read it only while flying for the extra edging thrill. I would carry the hardback around with me, heh. There's a point where they're stress testing and I was on a CRJ, or Embraer and the overhead light failed as I was getting to a good bit. That was a bit "final destination".

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Prey was superb.

Charlie reminded me of Heph, in a good way of course.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Anybody read any great US Civil War biographies*?

*not Lincoln

I've already read Grant's fantastic memoirs
    I haven't read it, but Robert E Lee's biography, by Douglas Southall Freeman, has been described as “The finest work on the Civil War.”

Type
    INTP
    I recommend Adios America by Ann Coulter. I've read 2 others from her but this one is the best. The others were somewhat more unfocused rants against "liberals" which I thought were decent. This one is more specific and compelling, which is helped of course by the sheer reality of the topic. This is the book that set off the Trump campaign and ultimately got him elected.

After the election and I suppose still today, there have been calls to understand what it was that made non-urban America choose Donald Trump of all people, what everyone is so upset about, etc. Clearly there is a thick sense of incomprehensibility to it, from the liberal perspective. Many don't try to understand, and some do but they look to the same places they always looked for understanding - the Vox write-up of Trumpian America or whatever.

Why not go straight to the source? At worst you disagree. But I think Coulter was the one person with a significant platform who had the balls to say some unpopular but incredibly revealing stuff about the absurdity of America's immigration policies. And I say unpopular in terms of the establishment media and a particularly loud minority--her words did and will resonate strongly with perhaps a majority of Americans. Overall it's the sort of book that, if you pan it completely, you just either didn't read it or you're a hopeless partisan shill or both.

I voted for Trump but I only read this after the election. However it did very well encapsulate my reasons for doing so. It was as if all of the noise about Trump's character and his misdeeds, real or not, simply lacked some active ingredient and thus had 0 effect on me. Immigration was by far #1 and Trump was the only one who seemed remotely credible about wanting to do something about it. I was tired of policies that seemed to hold the rest of the world in higher importance than my own country. Trump, because of his stance on immigration, credibly wanted to put America first.

Which is all to say, this is the book to read if you want to understand what's going on right now in Americans' minds.