View Poll Results: Are you more active or passive with regards to the environment around you?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm more active

6 42.86%
  • I'm more passive

4 28.57%
  • Neither

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Environmental abidance

Type
    intp

Environmental abidance

How active are you in shaping/improving/exploiting the environment around you vs simply abiding the way things are?

I started thinking about this through observing some quirks of my partner. She lives with her mom in an apartment they've had for about 15 years or so, and they use the dishwasher as a drying rack. When I asked her about this, she said it was because they didn't know how to use a dishwasher. Now, if that were me, I would have looked it up online or asked someone (or just read the instructions of the dishwasher soap). A similar situation exists in her bedroom. When she moved home after being away, she found her room lacked curtains. That was nearly a year ago, but she still doesn't have any curtains. I guess curtains, like dishwashers, aren't necessary.

I tend to be on the opposite end of this spectrum; the first thing I do tends to be considering how I can improve things around me. I don't think it's necessarily a positive thing, probably more of an indication of anxiety more than anything. Curious to see where others on this forum fall.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTP
    It depends on the scale of the problem. Curtains I would resolve post-haste, one way or another. I like blackout curtains. For some windows, I also put in a barrier behind the curtains, like a sheet of insulation foam--the rigid foamboard not the fluffy cotton candy of death. On the other hand... I clean up my environment about once a week. I dearly wish I could get myself to tidy up daily, but I can usually manage weekly. Unfortunately, while this keeps things at a point I'm able to live comfortably, it doesn't make things the way I want them.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    xxxx
    how active i am about it depends on how much i feel i "own" or am responsible for the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I started thinking about this through observing some quirks of my partner. She lives with her mom in an apartment they've had for about 15 years or so, and they use the dishwasher as a drying rack. When I asked her about this, she said it was because they didn't know how to use a dishwasher. Now, if that were me, I would have looked it up online or asked someone (or just read the instructions of the dishwasher soap).
    she's chinese, right? not saying it's an asian thing but i've noticed many if not most asian households don't use their dishwasher... this observation is shared by my SO too, who's vietnamese.

my family didn't use dishwashers either and we've done the same thing, used it as a drying rack. i am wondering whether this is a "thing" or not.

fwiw i don't know how to use a dishwasher. lol.

Type
    INFP
    I have the occasional manic arrangement spree but they are fewer and further between in the last few years. They mostly involve getting rid of stuff. I often use the dishwasher as a drying rack but only because I hate the sound of it running. I'm not really bothered by non-noises in my living space. I wouldn't put up curtains if they weren't already hung. I decided to put up some pictures so my abode looks less serial killy but frames are expensive and unframed pictures are for teenagers.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    on the dishwasher: there is a functioning dishwasher here, but i still hand wash... if the people around me would rinse their fucking dishes, i might take advantage of it more often...

i only improve things that are mine, or that belong to people i view as incompetent to do so for themselves... that latter case only comes up when i give a shit about them and their predicament... if i don't really care i might casually mention what could be done (or i might not)...

when it comes to things that are mine, i do whatever is easiest in the long term... if something is bad enough to require repair/change (or i am bored), i'll do so... if it is only a mild inconvenience, i might be willing to put up with it for years (even if it is relatively simple to solve)...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

-
    Type
    xxxx
    People should use their dishwashers more often. They're actually more environmentally friendly than washing your dishes by hand – if you fill them up well, at least. Pro tip for musicians: try emptying the dishwasher at night, when it's dark. Leave the cutlery basket for last. You won't believe the kind of music you'll be hearing. I miss having a dishwasher for this sole reason.

@Lud, your amazement at people's nonchalance/carelessness towards their surroundings sounds very familiar.

When I move into a new place, furnishing it decently becomes my top life priority for a month or so. I don't mind spending all my time and money on it, I just can't live in an impersonal, generic space, and only feel at rest when it's eventually been equipped satisfactorily.

That drive for domestic improvement continues over the years, albeit in a much milder form. If given the choice between going on a weekend trip solo or buying items to improve my home (floor lamp? food storage containers? cushions? etc.), I'll choose the latter.

The only time when I don't care about my surroundings is when I know that I'm going to move again anyway in a few weeks' time.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    How active are you in shaping/improving/exploiting the environment around you vs simply abiding the way things are.
    To me a room is just a space to sleep and store things in, so virtually none. I always live in extremely spartan lodgings with no decorations because I really don't see the point of furnishing somewhere I probably only spend an hour or two consciously being in and I am barely aware of my surroundings most of the time. During which time I am inevitably only reading a book or using a computer in any case, preferring to be out doing things - which often ends up involving sleeping around other places these days anyway. If the place I'm in doesn't have the amenities I need I inevitably go and find them elsewhere, I mean this has been why I generally end up using launderettes in house shares.

That said I couldn't live without curtains, I pretty much have the closed 24/7 in most places I live.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I have intentions of improving my home, but I'm slow about getting around to it. Some of it is because of repairs or improvements that would cost cost money. Some of it is just aesthetic decorating and that's kind of low priority for me. It would probably look better when I was done, but not really functional.

I have only painted one room in my house. I might get around to the others someday. Or hanging pictures... I've never done that because I'm not spending money on that. I figure I could just make something, except making something takes time and I never seem to get to it. I have a print of one Mark Rothko painting hanging on the wall and that's it. Better organization is another think I keep meaning to get to someday.

The three things that do need to happen the day I move in somewhere - curtains, setting the bed up, and internet.

Type
    INTP
    I must be getting old because I care about these things a lot more these days. Or maybe it's because I spend so much money on housing now. I even started making the bed in the morning. I don'tn care that it's just going to get messed up again; it makes the bedroom look so much nicer. I don't want to look at a bunch of broken, fucked up crap either. An orderly house makes me feel somehow wealthier.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    .. and internet.
    Nerd.

Yeah, I'm not moved into a place until my computer is there.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces