Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recurring Dream Themes

Type
    INTP

Recurring Dream Themes

When I was younger I was always an observer. One recurring dream when I was little was a Victorian style house that my friend and I would sneak into. We would crouch behind potted plants and just watch what the people were doing.

Often, probably mostly in my teen years, my dreams were like theatre. I was an invisible, formless observer with no relationship to the scene or the characters.

As an adult I'm more likely to be a participant. When I am a participant, the physics of reality never works correctly. Gravity is heavier so I can't walk upright. Or else I'm flying but my balance is off and I can't steer myself to exactly where I want to go. I drag myself up rising sidewalks or bump into the ceiling and the walls. These physical changes are always unremarkable. They are simply a part of the reality of the dream. If I notice it then it's usually a sign that I'm waking up.

The other night I was trying to get to the balcony of a bar where there was a live performance I wanted to see. I had to climb over a ledge that was tipping over and up in order to get there. I was wearing a poofy dress.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    My recurring ones are just messed up.

I used to have a drowning one all the time when I was a kid. I would get in this little pool, or hot tub with my two friends (they were dream friends not actual friends). It had seats and we would just sit there and chat, but there was no bottom and then a whirlpool would turn on and suck us all down. I would try to swim to the top, but I remember drowning - every time. And waking up out of breath.

And then I had this other dream when I was a kid, that I was some other little girl from maybe around the early 1900's. And this other little girl was sick and dying. I'm not sure from what. I could feel it in the dream - the sickness and the dying. And she died and then I became me but I was still her and I still had that dying feeling inside and I was going to die again as the little girl (me). This dream is creepy to think about because I started having it before I had a chronic illness. I still had it after too for awhile.

High school - one of my friends killed me frequently in my dreams. Not always in the same way. I got stabbed mostly though, but there were some instances of being hung, or shot, or having my head held underwater until I drowned.

Also in high school I had the sleep paralysis dream every night sometimes multiple times a night when I went to sleep.

Sometime during college I started getting one about stuffing my face with too many sweets until I felt sick. I just can't stop. I still get this dream. I wake up feeling sick when I have this dream.

Those are just the recurring dreams. I don't know about the overall themes of my dreams. A lot of mine lately are boring like I'll dream about an average day at work.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    A recurring dream when I was little was being in a pitch black room, in a corner on the floor, in a tense silence that would last forever except when it was interrupted by a person shouting very loud in distress, and then going silent. But I couldn't see them. Then a long silence and another person would shout or scream in the same way, as in terror. That was when I was very little in Canada. I began to fear those dreams a lot.

Now that I think of it, there is something about those dreams that is evocative of the cells in the concentration camps here during the dictatorship. But I was never told about those things at all.

Edit: Actually I spent two years from ages 1-3 in Argentina during the dictatorship, so maybe there were people being kidnapped in the middle of the night in my neighborhood. But those were the last years of the dictatorship and I think most of the kidnappings were in the beginning, so I dunno. My memories go back to the age of 2, and so do the memories of my dreams, I remember nightmares from the age of 2.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 11-05-2016 at 05:32 AM.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xxxx
    for many years i just had dreams that were variations on being chased. then for two years or so, i didn't remember any of my dreams. when i started remembering my dreams again my brain seemed to have had "reset" itself and there was more variety.

i've been chased by people trying to kill me, animals and objects. the most ridiculous one was being chased by a jumping/flying bottle cap through a burning building. the most beautiful was being chased by a bull to the edge of a cliff, overlooking a wide expanse of flat land sectioned off into squares, a huge grid with no end in sight. the most terrifying would be all the ones where i'm chased by people trying to kill me. i've been shot in the face nine times and woke up after that. i've also had ones where i didn't know what was chasing me. one time i was running from something but i had this power of leaping over obstacles and i was basically like some kind of superhero. basically just countless dreams like this.

my brain really likes anxiety dreams though. i've had teeth falling out plenty of times, and apparently i sometimes grind my teeth in my sleep too.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    At an airport, train station or busy city, trying to catch an airplane/train/bus I mustn't miss.

Also, being in a random foreign country and wondering how to get back home in time for [upcoming important even in real life].

Dreams of time travel.

Type
    INTP
    As a kid I used to dream that I built a time machine and went back in time and invented the BMX bike and literally did such sweet jumps/tricks that I was accused of being a witch. I used reason to explain the truth and became regarded as a sort of hero, eventually teaching others to make bikes and do sweet tricks.

Another recurring one also involved time travel...but I don't remember the time travel part so much...just that I'd end up with Marty McFly's hoverboard, being chased by a bunch of bad guys with guns...I'd lead them into a grocery store and shennanigan them all into defeat by flying around and by using tactics not unlike Kevin McAllister fighting the Wet Bandits in Home Alone.

The next recurring one I had as a kid, I was in a video game, being chased by a 'Big Bad Wolf' character. Every time I turned around to look back, the wolf would be significantly closer to me. It was terrifying, and I'd get afraid to look back once he got especially close for fear that my looking back is what made him closer. Eventually I could just feel his presence at my back, like his breath would be hitting my neck, and I'd just keep running. I'm not sure how it worked exactly with the first-person look-back parts, because it was an old-school side scroller. I did an illustration of it once in a speed-drawing competition:

Another one that I had was more symbolic I guess...It was a view from the bottom of a square shaft...the shaft was made of a chalky blue material, and at the bottom were conical spikes made of the same material....and at the top of the shaft was a blue cube, the same size as the shaft, and again, made of the same chalky material. The cube would slowly descend down the shaft, approaching the spikes...and while it'd never quite reach the spikes, the anticipation was that if it so much as touched them, everything would just crumble into a chalky powder.

The last recurring one I had was when my parents were fighting a lot when I was a kid...the whole thing was in a sepia tone. It took place in the industrial sector of town. Every day at a precise time, a 100 foot tall bull would come charging through the area, destroying everything in its path--this first bull represented my mom. Later, a second one would come through, my dad...and there was a sense that he was just trying to catch the first bull before it destroyed everything...but of course, being a 100 foot tall bull, it did its own share of destruction. Every day, once both of them had passed, all the workers would rebuild everything back to the way it was before, only to have it all begin again the next morning. It was exhausting.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    i have a few:

the "real" simpson's house... the one the cartoon was based on...
    the house with a barbecue, that turns into a mansion inside...
    it's the "end of the world" and i am unprepared...
    people are being put in concentration camps, but i have managed to stay free...
    "sexual"...
    i am in whatever video game i have played too much of recently...
    people i have known (that don't know eachother) are friends, and annoying the shit out of me...
    "horror"...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INtP
    The only ones I recall often enough to know they recur are various forms of anxiety dreams.

As a kid--I had to drive a car even though I have no idea how. I often jerk-startled awake from these as I was crashing.

when I was older--I'm flying a plane and don't know how to land it. Or I'm stranded in some high place with no way to get down.

Another one was leading a presentation at work, or starring in a play, and not knowing my lines or having anything prepared.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    running on all fours

Type
    INTP
    When I was a kid I had this recurring dream about my parents' ugly green plaid couch. In the dream, you could lay on the couch and pull a lever and be lowered into the bottom of the couch--where the frame and springs are on a couch. Of course at the age of 5 I didn't know how couches were constructed so a lever-operated elevator to the bottom level of the couch made total sense. I would pull the lever and be lowered to the lower level of the couch and when I pulled the lever to go back up it wouldn't work and after being stuck there for a while I'd get panicky. No idea what that one was all about.

I still have those dreams where a paper or project is due and I don't have it done. Never thought I'd still be having that dream at 40, but I hear this is not uncommon. Was college really that traumatic?