Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am an INTP who loves or likes his/her job.

Type
    INTP

I am an INTP who loves or likes his/her job.

If you can say and really mean the above statement, please name your profession and explain what it is you actually do in a short paragraph.Thank you.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    I've left the INTP camp a while ago but I still think composing professionally is an excellent career for one: you get to lose yourself in your own abstract ideas all day, other people will appreciate it, and most of all, you don't have to answer to anyone. INTPs tend to be good at living comfortably with little, so even a financial dry spell here and there won't do much harm.

Only cons: you should have your money situation sorted out (that is, be disciplined enough to put aside a hundred bucks every now and then when you've got them), and despite all the freedom, deadlines are real. Very, very real. Sometimes you're expected to work lightning-fast in a high-stress environment. If you can do that on demand, you're golden.

Type
    xxxx
    I like my job but I'm pretty sure I would test ENTP now. When choosing my career I traded in wealth and status for beauty and creativity. I don't hate mondays and I never dread going to work.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    intp
    I was talking to a girl who I met today who tried to guess my job (she thought I had positive energy as well...). I said she'd never do it. Her first guess was a conservation ranger... no. Second guess was teacher... umm, I trained as a teacher but no. Third guess was someone who taught kids in the outdoors... huh? I did that for 20 years but no, not currently. She had a strong image of me and trees... lots of trees.

I told her what I did which surprised her. Apparently I was far too nice to do that (took that to mean I didn't appear hard enough), but what the hey... I really like it. Not looking to do anything else which probably means it's too comfortable.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    I was talking to a girl who I met today who tried to guess my job (she thought I had positive energy as well...). I said she'd never do it. Her first guess was a conservation ranger... no. Second guess was teacher... umm, I trained as a teacher but no. Third guess was someone who taught kids in the outdoors... huh? I did that for 20 years but no, not currently. She had a strong image of me and trees... lots of trees.

I told her what I did which surprised her. Apparently I was far too nice to do that (took that to mean I didn't appear hard enough), but what the hey... I really like it. Not looking to do anything else which probably means it's too comfortable.
    You on a Friday night:

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post

What do you do again?

I liked my job scheduling patient appointments in an OB-GYN. I would have liked it better if it were part-time. I like interacting with people and being useful to people and problem-solving... and then going home to relax.

I'm looking forward to a nursing career. I think that people don't realize how much variety there is in health care in terms of roles and hours, and how many opportunities there are for further education. There's always something to study, problems involving complex systems, and when you get too frustrated or satisfied, you can move on to something else.

Right now I see it going something like this:
    - RN picking up as much generalist experience as possible (probably Med-Surg, maybe ER)
    - go back to school for MSN/MPH
    - work as a Nurse Practitioner with an emphasis on community health and prevention
    - go back to school for PhD
    - research medical anthropology: who are the healthiest populations worldwide? how to translate that health to at-risk communities?
    - continue to research, still have some patient contact, possibly work with policy; almost certainly start teaching
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 11-07-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    What do you do again?
    Zookeeper... I stop the angry carnivores eating the quiet and nervous herbivores, feed them three times a day and tuck them into bed at night and then I lock the door to prevent them escaping and endangering the community.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    If you can say and really mean the above statement, please name your profession and explain what it is you actually do in a short paragraph.Thank you.
    I am a software architect/team lead. I love what I do, and I thrive at it. I design, evaluate, develop, document and test mid-scale software systems. I'm hands-on, as in I actually program the frameworks, libraries and tools used by the rest of the team (where there's gaps among the things I've researched or selected off-the-shelf, that is). I "lead" my teams by example -- that is, I design and document the overall system, both select and implement the foundation elements (frameworks, libraries, tools), and then basically tell the team "see the interactions of this, this and this? fill in the blanks" (translation: do the boring, detailed dirty work, heh). So, in a sense, I can pick and choose what I want to do (the interesting challenges) and leave the rest to others. Unfortunately, this role also entails dealing with business folks in meetings of all sorts (requirements, status, change management, etc, blah) -- however, it is largely possible to simply daydream/coast through such things.

Type
    intp
    I work in IT (server admin) and I enjoy my work, but not necessarily my job. My job would be great if it weren't for my employers.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTj
    I set myself up while I was in highschool, and now just do odd jobs for supplemental income. I love my job. I do radiology information technology support and am a range safety officer, my primary source of income now though is web development and I fucking love it. I wake up every day and realize how lucky I am to basically be on vacation.