Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday shopping

Type
    INTP

Holiday shopping

What's your strategy? Do you get it all done early or are you more of a last-minute shopper? How important is gift-giving in your circle? Can we help each other with gifting ideas?

Type
    INTP
    I'm pretty abysmal at Christmas shopping. For a while my sister just picked out a couple big ticket items for my parents and then charged me half the money but that's not really happening anymore.

I got away with not giving gifts while I was in the UK because of the cost of shipping and stuff, but I feel like I need to make an effort this year because I don't have much of an excuse.

Type
    INTP
    I think being unemployed is a valid excuse for not gift giving.

I hate Christmas shopping. My parents just give us cash, which is really the best gift as I can't think of anything I want. My inlaws want to exchange consumables this year which works well for us since we're probably moving soon. My sister and her clan are still the quintissential consumers who keep the economy cranking along. I will buy them crap. For my parents, I don't think a physical gift will cut it. What do you get for a guy who's dying of cancer and his wife who's terrified of being alone for the first time in 45 years? Maybe we can do the family portait thing while my sister is in town. This would have been a better idea before the cancer got bad, my dad looks terrible lately and won't even go on skype with my nieces. I have no idea, seriously.

My grandmother's a lost cause (alzheimers) and my uncle is a crook who's not getting anything.

This is shaping up to be a depressing Christmas.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    kids - books, cuz i mostly know spoiled kids who have behavior problems and have too many toys. i go to bookstores

family & adults - no, i don't have money for that and i didn't grow up giving/getting gifts so this requires me to change my entire life

SO - meals, good times & sometimes lil things on etsy, like i got him a little marimo ball terrarium thingy a few years ago and he loved it. idk, i don't keep track of things we get each other

i still have to make two batches of soap to give away as holiday gifts. i mean, it's not shopping. people love handmade gifts and this is something that requires stuff i already have on hand.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I've already got gifts for my dearer friends. Just got to wrap their presents in December and I'll be sorted.

Type
    INTP
    Actually me too. It's rare for me to even think along those lines, but I do have a couple of gifts that I've stashed for the upcoming holiday.

On people having too much stuff to begin with: Last year I gave my parents tickets to the symphony and a gift card for a nice restaurant, and that went over very well. I've given them gift cards in the past, which they never used. Instead, this was for a specific event on a specific date.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    The only people I exchange gifts with is family members.

Christmas shopping is dumb in my family. We just make lists of what we want so we can buy each other those things and then act surprised. The holiday revolves around the gifts and it's a huge spectacle and I hate it. Money is an unacceptable gift so it can't be that. It has to be some physical thing to open and make a big deal about and act like we're having the best Christmas ever because look at all the stuff we got (that we wanted anyway because we asked people to buy it for us.)

The shopping part is fairly easy since I'm just buying stuff off people's lists. I get yelled at every year for not having enough stuff on my own list. Oh and my mom yells at me to buy my grandma a gift even though my grandma will yell at me for buying her one because she doesn't want anything.

Same thing on husbands side of the family - buying stuff off lists, but they make less of a spectacle about it. I have not made a list yet this year or bought anything.

Type
    INTP
    I'm going to knit something nice for my sister. I figure she'll appreciate that. I'll probably also get her a book.

Not sure what to do about my parents.

The only other person I'm planning on getting something for this year is my former flatmate in the UK. She more or less coordinated shipping all my stuff home for me so that deserves a card and a gift.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    It's not very important in my immediate circle and some people don't bother but I love shopping for and buying people gifts. I'm already done with a lot of presents for Christmas but I'll probably run til the deadline. Some people are more difficult to buy for than others because they don't leak information so I don't have much information to pull from. Whenever I go shopping I have an idea or maybe feeling of what I'm looking for and I go til I find it. It's worth all the bullshit when someone opens the perfect gift and it's usually a better gift than what those fucking slackers would have got me anyway.

I'm all...

Type
    INFP
    what the hell, how do you guys already have this stuff sorted out.

This year I'm going to have to buy presents for my boyfriend's mom and dad and maybe sister and maybe her husband too...so I'm a bit worried. The mom likes knitting and the dad is a veterinarian. Any gift ideas?