Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's First 100 Days

Type
    INTP
    Finally, in the ascension stage, the role of the subject as a patron in the psychopath’s quest for power will be discarded, and the psychopath will take for himself/herself a position of power and prestige from anyone who once supported them.
    They smile in your face
    All the time they want to take your place
    The back stabbers

-- The O'Jays, "Back Stabbers"
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    But why did Trump win amongst all the other moronic, maleficent, masturbatory man-children in the primaries? I don't have insight into any of this, because the current Republican ideology runs directly contrary to some of my values and beliefs. The only thing that I could see that captured people is that he didn't speak like a politician. He spoke bluntly and rudely and I think people mistook the forsaking of political social norms/talking points as honesty and authenticity.
    I think he really captured something with his anti-political establishment persona. I mean if Trump had been an authentic down to earth blue collar political rebel who really wanted to drain the swamp and make the government work for the people (and still been able to win) I think he would have been a great thing for politics.

Alas, he's just a psycho who twigged on a clever marketing gimmick. People should have been able to see through it though, even though the concept of a real 'swamp drainer' might have appealed to them. And they should certainly see through it now. But they still don't (I refer to his core supporters who seem immune to perceiving reality), which is really sad.

And the Democrats have to take some responsibility too. Any half assed mainstream candidate outside of Hillary (not Bernie though, who is too left wing for America) would have destroyed Trump. But noooo..., Hillary had to be paid off for all her political maneuvering over the years, in order to maintain the integrity of the back scratching system. So screw them as well.

Eh I think Sanders had a good chance of beating Trump. I think a larger percentage of Clinton supporters would have voted Sanders than vice versa and she did win the popular vote. I don't think he's too left for America as any "extreme" policy is likely to be moderated by the rest of the gov, putting us more on the moderately progressive course I think we should be on.

My only reservation was that he seemed a bit cowed by the PC fringe.

Type
    intp
    Turnbull is doing as well as Trump in the polls...

Type
    intp
    "By the way, if he [Comey] faces any kind of prosecution in this regard, we will provide political asylum in Russia for him as well. He should be aware of that." - Putin

I don't really know what's going on anymore.

I wonder how many elections the US has meddled in since all of this.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Robert Mueller expands special counsel office, hires 13 lawyers

Meet Some of Mueller's Dream Team

Definitely nothing to see here. Just some more fake news. Meanwhile the traitors in White House are starting to lawyer up.

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    We had two candidates to choose between in the general, yes.

But why did Trump win amongst all the other moronic, maleficent, masturbatory man-children in the primaries? I don't have insight into any of this, because the current Republican ideology runs directly contrary to some of my values and beliefs. The only thing that I could see that captured people is that he didn't speak like a politician. He spoke bluntly and rudely and I think people mistook the forsaking of political social norms/talking points as honesty and authenticity.
    Because, as insincere and full of shit as he is, he touched on something regarding the decline of American industry and neoliberal trade deals that "benefit Americans"? I also don't think most people give a shit about politeness or "norms" when it comes to politicians, and I don't think they should. "Norms" lead people to support invading Iraq after all, because the "norms" were followed. "Norms" are bullshit.

More people voted against him than voted for him.
    It still wasn't enough.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    Because, as insincere and full of shit as he is, he touched on something regarding the decline of American industry
    American manufacturing has doubled over the last three decades; they just have one third fewer workers.

I was just reading a review of Democracy in Chains which gives an interesting perspective of the Libertarian lies that have been sold to Americans over the last 60 years.

Charles and his brother David Koch have been pushing the libertarian agenda for more than 20 years. A generation before them, Buchanan founded a series of enclaves to study ways to make government bend. Before that, critic and historian Donald Davidson coined the term "Leviathan" in the 1930s for the federal government, and blamed northeasterners for "pushing workers' rights and federal regulations. Such ideas could never arise from American soil, Davidson insisted. They were 'alien' European imports brought by baleful characters." And going back another century, the book locates the movement's center in the fundamentalism of Vice President John C. Calhoun, for whom the ideas of capital and self-worth were inextricably intertwined. (Spoilers: It was about slavery.)

It's grim going; this isn't the first time Nancy MacLean has investigated the dark side of the American conservative movement ... but it's the one that feels like it was written with a clock ticking down.
    Buchanan headed a group of radical thinkers (he told his allies "conspiratorial secrecy is at all times essential"), who worked to centralize power in states like Virginia. They eschewed empirical research. They termed taxes "slavery." They tried repeatedly to strike down progressive action — school integration, Social Security — claiming it wasn't economically sound. And they had the patience and the money to weather failures in their quest to win.

As MacLean lays out in their own words, these men developed a strategy of misinformation and lying about outcomes until they had enough power that the public couldn't retaliate against policies libertarians knew were destructive. (Look no further than Flint, MacLean says, where the Koch-funded Mackinac Center was behind policies that led to the water crisis.)

Type
    INTx
    Red line enforced. US shoots down Syrian aircraft for first time.

The U.S. military on Sunday shot down a Syrian Air Force fighter jet that bombed local forces aligned with the Americans in the fight against Islamic State militants, an action that appeared to mark a new escalation of the conflict.
    The U.S. had not shot down a Syrian regime aircraft before Sunday's confrontation, said Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman. While the U.S. has said since it began recruiting, training and advising what it calls moderate Syrian opposition forces to fight IS that it would protect them from potential Syrian government retribution, this was the first time it resorted to engaging in air-to-air combat to make good on that promise.
    The U.S.-led coalition headquarters in Iraq said in a written statement that a U.S. F-18 Super Hornet shot down a Syrian government SU-22 after it dropped bombs near the U.S. partner forces, known as the Syrian Democratic Forces.
    The shootdown was near Tabqa, a Syrian town in an area that has been a weekslong focus of fighting against IS militants by the SDF as they surround the city of Raqqa and attempt to retake it from IS. . . .

"The coalition's mission is to defeat ISIS in Iraq and Syria," the Pentagon said, using an abbreviation for the Islamic State group. "The coalition does not seek to fight Syrian regime, Russian or pro-regime forces partnered with them, but will not hesitate to defend coalition or partner forces from any threat. "

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How erect are you?