Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's First 100 Days

Type
    INtP

Trump's First 100 Days

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills looking at the election results. Obviously I'm out of touch with what half of this country wants, so I'll throw this out to the forum at large--especially Republicans who voted Trump and R down the ticket. Now that Republicans have control of about everything, what actions do you think will happen in the first 100 days (or over the next two years)?

Obamacare repealed? Anything to replace it?
    Will we get that wall?
    Is the top tax bracket really going to be lowered to 15%?
    Next year will our kit kats have 10% less chocolate?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Hard to say. There are undoubtedly a lot of things that are going to confront him in the oval office that he hasn't anticipated. Candidates always make lots of promises before they get elected that they can't keep because of the mechanics of actually running things. It can be very hard to get things done.

It remains to be seen how he will deal with congress and senate. Trump is not really a Republican, so how much will they agree and support each other? That all depends. A lot of things are up in the air.

Type
    INTP
    We'll see if he even makes it to office. I predict an assassination attempt.

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    It's likely he'll be a one-term president at most. Even George W. Bush hates his guts. I don't think he can do too much damage unless he levels up to dictator, which I actually wouldn't completely dismiss because these seem like the kind of circumstances that have produced dictators in the past. The thing is that Trump doesn't have the brain for it but there's lots of Shadow People who might offer themselves up to be his brain, so.

Type
    intp
    Well... there's always locking up crooked Hillary; followed closely by dealing to all those nasty journalists who kept writing about all he did and all he said.

I'm sure there are a few comedians in his sights as well.

Then there's a couple of coal fired power stations to reopen...

And the TPP to quash... jobs to bring back from China, a wall to build... not to mention a few Billion to repay to the Chinese whose factories he wants to close.

Gonna be a busy man (unless Ptah is right and he gets assassinated before he takes office).

Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Well... there's always locking up crooked Hillary; followed closely by dealing to all those nasty journalists who kept writing about all he did and all he said.

I'm sure there are a few comedians in his sights as well.

Then there's a couple of coal fired power stations to reopen...

And the TPP to quash... jobs to bring back from China, a wall to build... not to mention a few Billion to repay to the Chinese whose factories he wants to close.

Gonna be a busy man (unless Ptah is right and he gets assassinated before he takes office).
    Can't forget the deportation force.
    Maybe there's a God above
    But all I've ever learned from love
    Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
    And it's not a cry that you hear at night
    It's not somebody who's seen the light
    It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Can't forget the deportation force.
    Shouldn't really need a force. He employs most of the illegals in his hotels and golf courses...

Anyway, as a Californian, aren't you going to be busy?

Last edited by jyng1; 11-09-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    these seem like the kind of circumstances that have produced dictators in the past.
    LOL no.

Things may be subtly moving in that direction, but honestly anybody who's noticing that now and thinks it's new just hasn't been paying attention for like the last 50 years.

(What reliably produces dictators sooner or later is having a big military--not exactly a recent Trump initiative.)

But I suspect the average American is tens of thousands of dollars and a good 50 pounds away at least from having any conception of what it means to be living under "conditions that produce dictators", if by that you're thinking of the radical-rupture, somebody suddenly staging a coup sort of thing.

Everybody probably needs to calm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    LOL no.

Things may be subtly moving in that direction, but honestly anybody who's noticing that now and thinks it's new just hasn't been paying attention for like the last 50 years.

(What reliably produces dictators sooner or later is having a big military--not exactly a recent Trump initiative.)

But I suspect the average American is tens of thousands of dollars and a good 50 pounds away at least from having any conception of what it means to be living under "conditions that produce dictators", if by that you're thinking of the radical-rupture, somebody suddenly staging a coup sort of thing.

Everybody probably needs to calm down.
    I'm not saying it's a new trend, I'm saying that Trump could catalyze and speed up the trend. If it's something that's been gaining strength for so long, then isn't a figure like Trump what the movement has been waiting for?

And I wasn't thinking of "conditions that produce dictators" solely in terms of complete poverty and suffering (of course the US isn't anywhere close to interwar Germany levels of misery and it would be ridiculous to claim such a thing)...I was thinking of those conditions in terms of: nationalistic anger, a large military, and a willingness to corrupt and oppress. Those factors are certainly thriving in the US. And aren't they enough to spark authoritarianism on their own?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Hard to say. There are undoubtedly a lot of things that are going to confront him in the oval office that he hasn't anticipated. Candidates always make lots of promises before they get elected that they can't keep because of the mechanics of actually running things. It can be very hard to get things done.

It remains to be seen how he will deal with congress and senate. Trump is not really a Republican, so how much will they agree and support each other? That all depends. A lot of things are up in the air.
    Establishment Republicans hate him and yet they still close ranks. They know that party unity gets things done.

It will be very interesting to see what happens (if anything).
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.