Thread: Could Trump become a dictator?

Type
    INFP

Could Trump become a dictator?

Based on how he has this talent for blowing up every little error and sad thing into watergates and 9/11's, I definitely think he could destabilize the country. But I wonder if, following his destabilization, he could restructure the government to his liking. The former takes the kind of demagogic skill that he has, but the latter takes calculation that I think is beyond him. Plus, maybe (?), the US has enough checks and balances going to stop that kind of thing from happening. But maybe Shadowy Helpers could come in and help him at that stage. What do you think?
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think the destabilization has already happened. It's been going on for years, though it's accelerated during this campaign. Things like public contempt for paying taxes, public questioning of the legitimacy of the electoral process, suggesting that he put his opponent in jail are really damaging to the health of democracy in the US. For a government and democracy to function people have to have faith in the process, and that has clearly eroded.

Politics has become very polarized in a way that I don't see ending soon and may well lead to conflict. People are fractured and angry.

Whether the checks and balances will work remains to be seen. This is a person with no political experience who ran on a campaign that had very little in the way of solid policy. Who knows what he's going to do?

Type
    INTP
    Even if the country spiraled to the point where such a thing could be possible, there's no way Trump would have the support of the military if he decided to tear up the constitution. What's more likely is that Trump will reinforce the power of the unelected elements that influence government -- intelligence services, military, corporations, banks, foreign governments. Which is perhaps the worse result because it's largely invisible and there's no single point of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    ... What's more likely is that Trump will reinforce the power of the unelected elements that influence government -- intelligence services, military, corporations, banks, foreign governments. Which is perhaps the worse result because it's largely invisible and there's no single point of failure.
    Trump might. With the exception of the last item it was guaranteed with Clinton. At least now we have a real chance it might be something other than business as usual.