Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How will the Trump presidency affect the global scientific community?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

How will the Trump presidency affect the global scientific community?

To start, an article summarizing scientists' reactions to the election results:

http://www.nature.com/news/how-scien...esults-1.20965

Thoughts?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    I was hoping they'd ignore him.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I was hoping they'd ignore him.

Not sure they'll be able to ignore the budget cuts (well the climate change research budget cuts anyways...).

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Depends on how far he's willing to take his isolationism. I have some friends in the UK that have already been turned down for grants and are finding it hard to find research partners in the EU because of Brexit fears.

My prediction is less money and less international collaboration.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    To start, an article summarizing scientists' reactions to the election results:

http://www.nature.com/news/how-scien...esults-1.20965

Thoughts?
    More responses:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...p-rsquo-s-win/
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Haha! Our scientific positions have already been cut! How do you kill that which is already dead!?

Type
    intp
    Dawkins wrote us a nice letter:

Dear New Zealand,

The two largest nations in the English-speaking world have just suffered catastrophes at the hands of voters—in both cases the uneducated, anti-intellectual portion of voters. Science in both countries will be hit extremely hard: In the one case, by the xenophobically inspired severing of painstakingly built-up relationships with European partners; in the other case by the election of an unqualified, narcissistic, misogynistic sick joke as president. In neither case is the disaster going to be short-lived: in America because of the nonretirement rule of the Supreme Court; in Britain because Brexit is irreversible.

There are top scientists in America and Britain—talented, creative people, desperate to escape the redneck bigotry of their home countries. Dear New Zealand, you are a deeply civilized small nation, with a low population in a pair of beautiful, spacious islands. You care about climate change, the future of the planet and other scientifically important issues. Why not write to all the Nobel Prize winners in Britain and America, write to the Fields medalists, Kyoto and Crafoord Prize and International Cosmos Prize winners, the Fellows of the Royal Society, the elite scientists in the National Academy of Sciences, the Fellows of the British Academy and similar bodies in America. Offer them citizenship. The contribution that creative intellectuals can make to the prosperity and cultural life of a nation is out of all proportion to their numbers. You could make New Zealand the Athens of the modern world.
    Yes, dear New Zealand, I know it’s an unrealistic, surreal pipe dream. But on the day after U.S. election day, in the year of Brexit, the distinction between the surreal and the awfulness of the real seems to merge in a bad trip from which a pipe dream is the only refuge.

Yours,
    Richard Dawkins, founder and board chairman, Richard Dawkins Foundation

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I do see this as an opportunity for Canada to poach good researchers from other English-speaking countries. I just hope that we are able to get the funding in place to secure them positions at labs and universities.

Type
    INTP
    Trump isn't anti science. There's no reason to think that. He's more of a conspiracy junkie. There's no reason to think he would cut scientific funding as far as I've seen.

If he changes anything, I imagine he's likely to divert funding away from risky impractical stuff and towards more practical science.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-is-alarming/

When the major Republican candidate for president has tweeted that global warming is a Chinese plot, threatens to dismantle a climate agreement 20 years in the making and to eliminate an agency that enforces clean air and water regulations, and speaks passionately about a link between vaccines and autism that was utterly discredited years ago, we can only hope that there is nowhere to go but up.
    http://www.newsweek.com/trump-expect...nt-ever-519226

When conservative talk-radio host Michael Savage volunteered in an interview with Trump to take over as director of the National Institutes of Health—the most widely admired medical research institution in the world—Trump said he thought that would be wonderful.
    “Trump has indicated little respect for the findings of science,” David Kravets wrote for Ars Technica. “He has openly repeated the long and frequently debunked suggestion that vaccines can induce autism…. And his science policy plans, where they exist, completely reflect this disdain. For energy, he plans to do the exact opposite of what would be required to address climate change, and he plans to seek a wholesale culling of federal regulation regardless of whether there’s a scientific basis for the rules.”
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 11-11-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle