Thread: The INTPplex Political Bias Review

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

The INTPplex Political Bias Review

This thread is for posting articles which provide rich material for INTPs to analyze for political bias and spin.

In this article, Mr. Wiliamson approaches the subject of poverty in the American South. In the article, he cites the reason for poverty in Kentucky as an example of adverse natural selection, meaning that when the area dried up economically everyone who was capable of leaving did, that number basically being the best and brightest of the region. So, the people left behind who COULDN'T move fell into a state of relentless perpetual poverty and dependence on welfare. He characterizes it as being a rural form of ghetto, but points out ways it's better than "other ghettos" leaving that as an exercise for the reader to imagine ... you know ... THOSE other ghettos, right? Ech.

Another good line from the article -- "If the people here weren’t 98.5 percent white, we’d call it a reservation." Thank you for that, Wiliamson.

Anyway, he doesn't go very deeply into systemic reasons for these areas to be poor. I'd suggest they suffer from a form of the resource curse. There were abundant natural resources in these areas and their economies were almost entirely built up around extracting those resources. This situation, and problems that can result from it, is a fairly well documented phenomenon -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_curse

Also, check out some of the shocking examples of poverty that he talks about. In one instance, he suggests that the cost of a prostitute in rural Kentucky can be as low as one case of soda. $12.99 by Walmart prices. C'mon, really? What's his source for this? He asked one woman. Okay well that settles it, might as well publish. It's blatant pandering.

If you look through this you can find a lot of different biases at work here. Another example, Wiliamson seems to be a believer in the just world fallacy. He sort of blames the people who live in this place for their situation. He suggests that giving them welfare motivates them not to escape from their poverty.

Well, I'll stop there and let you all have a crack at this before I continue. Feel free to post other articles as well.

The White Ghetto -- In Appalachia the country is beautiful and the society is broken
    by Kevin D. Wiliamson
    http://nationalreview.com/article/36...n-d-williamson
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    I lived in the Appalachian mountains for 7 years, with no electricity or running water. I bought 4 beautiful acres for $9k. It was 7 miles off of the Blue Ridge Parkway out in the woods, within a 30 mile radius was pure luxury and abject poverty. Families that had lived for generations in squalor, or what city folk would consider squalor.

If it weren't for the way building permits and codes were structured I would have built a nice place, as it was I lived in a 400 sq ft shack. Except for the first year I made ok money, probably averaging $50k year. The last year i was making $2k a week at times. Red tape has a lot of unintended consequences.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Maybe if there weren't regulations, there wouldn't be any wilderness at all out there.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Maybe if there weren't regulations, there wouldn't be any wilderness at all out there.
    I am not saying all regulations are bad, but they get out of hand. For example it's illegal in most of the US to live in a house you are building. The added hardship of paying rent while building a house is too much for many people.

I knew when they passed the seat belt law that there would be a floodgate of laws passed that are good for you. It's not safe to live in a house while you're building it!

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    I am not saying all regulations are bad, but they get out of hand. For example it's illegal in most of the US to live in a house you are building. The added hardship of paying rent while building a house is too much for many people.

I don't know that I want to live in any house I would build, but you might have a point there. That does seem kind of dumb.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I don't know that I want to live in any house I would build, but you might have a point there. That does seem kind of dumb.
    Lets say someone else was building it for you, you paid as you went along and had the money, maybe it takes you 5-10 years to finish it. Compare that to a 30 year loan where a $2 2x4 costs you $8 when its all said and done.