Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foods for stress

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Foods for stress

I can look this up somewhere but I'm already here and there are a lot of health nuts here. What nutrients or foods are supposed to help combat the effects of stress?
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Elitist Hipster Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Kiwis.

Good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin k?

I notice stress, bloatedness and even anxiety associated with digestive problems, and kiwis are good for that.

@JohnClay I believe kiwis may help out with your brother in laws stool and clogging the toilet as they might soften the stool.
    Chocolate ding dong

Type
    xxxx
    Stop eating sugary stuff. The most important thing is to eat less in general.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    Find ways to cope with stress that don't involve eating.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    B vitamins. I think it's one or two in particular, but they generally come as a complex anyway so just buy a B complex.

Type
    INTP
    Sorry, I should have said: Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Get enough sleep. Spend time outside. Exercise.

There's no one thing. Chronic stress will wreck your immune system, your metabolism, and just about everything else, so combat it with health.

B vitamins are good. Get all the vitamins. Preferably from healthy food. Most comfort foods can kill you in the long run (if you have a sedentary lifestyle, as most people currently do).

Safeway 8 inch pumpkin pies are on sale for 5.99 at my local store, sit down and eat one for a noontime breakfast/lunch two in one meal. I can practically feel the stress shooting out of my ass.

Type
    INTP
    I always want carbs. Whether carbs actually do anything to help I don't know.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I always want carbs. Whether carbs actually do anything to help I don't know.
    Eating activates your parasympathetic system (rest & digest), which directly opposes the sympathetic (fight or flight) system. That in itself decreases stress. I think carbs in particular cause some additional hormone cascade that makes you happy and relaxed, but I don't know the details off the top of my head.

The problem is that if you rely on eating as your primary form of stress relief, that can put you on the road to an eating disorder.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Eating activates your parasympathetic system (rest & digest), which directly opposes the sympathetic (fight or flight) system. That in itself decreases stress. I think carbs in particular cause some additional hormone cascade that makes you happy and relaxed, but I don't know the details off the top of my head.

The problem is that if you rely on eating as your primary form of stress relief, that can put you on the road to an eating disorder.
    I don't eat as a form of stress release. I just find that when I'm super stressed and it's time to eat a meal I want carby stuff. And I find like salads and meat and stuff offputting when I'm that stressed. Too much chewing, and it seems to sit heavy in my stomach when I'm stressed.