Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socio-Political Terminology

Type
    INTP

Socio-Political Terminology

The Left/Right axis is old and broken. You actually have to clarify do you mean American left or European left? Economic or social? Etc.

Useless.

So let's say I want to differentiate:

Feminism A: Equal opportunity regardless of gender. Equal pay for equal work.

Feminism B: Equal outcomes regardless of inputs (ie, close the 78 on the dollar pay gap); female is automatically victim of male.

And the following:

Socially Progressive A: Let's recognize that you can't stereotype an individual based on their culture. At the same time, you can make general observations about specific cultures with the accepted caveat that a generalization is precisely that.

Socially Progressive B: Any generalization is an insult (unless it's about our enemies).

A: A crime is a crime. A disruption is a disruption. Speech is speech.

B: Hate crime is a special crime. Hate speech is criminal.

And so on...

I want some new labels.

I want a fucking meme.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm kinda happy with the terminology we got from the French Revolution and I still see it as relevant. Americans seem to be the only ones subverting it. Some of this is due to their own historical origins, but more than that I think it's a result of the Orwellian manipulation of language that the US has consolidated in the past 60-70 years thanks to the most effective ideological persecution that exists in the Western World (which goes hand in hand with some of the lowest levels of free speech that exist in the Western World).
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Damn it Madrigal.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Damn it Madrigal.
    But you guys are the only ones who are doing this.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    But you guys are the only ones who are doing this.
    So using appropriate Jacobin terminology (pretending like I even know what that really means), what is the proper terminology used to differentiate economic/social progressive/fuckwit/etc? Please educate me.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    So using appropriate Jacobin terminology (pretending like I even know what that really means), what is the proper terminology used to differentiate economic/social progressive/fuckwit/etc? Please educate me.
    I'm not really sure what you want though. Libertarian is left anywhere but in the US. Liberal means pro-free market anywhere except in the US where it is considered a social behavior. Feminism anywhere is the fight for equality between the sexes, while in the US the right's feminazi boogeyman actually seems to be competing for the rights to the dictionary definition. "Social Justice Warrior" was a term used unironically until about 15 years ago. Now it means "white liberal arts student getting red in the face". Left and Right don't mean anything when you are choosing between Right and Right, consistently, decade after decade. I think that some terms are undergoing a slow process of recovery though.

Type
    INTP
    I'm not really sure what you want though. Libertarian is left anywhere but in the US. Liberal means pro-free market anywhere except in the US where it is considered a social behavior. Feminism anywhere is the fight for equality between the sexes, while in the US the right's feminazi boogeyman actually seems to be competing for the rights to the dictionary definition. "Social Justice Warrior" was a term used unironically until about 15 years ago. Now it means "white liberal arts student getting red in the face". Left and Right don't mean anything when you are choosing between Right and Right, consistently, decade after decade. I think that some terms are undergoing a slow process of recovery though.
    Ugh.

Damn it Madrigal.

You're right.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Hillary Clinton's failure to win the elections literally has the "social progressives" in tears in the United States. This is the woman who said that president Zelaya's kidnapping and ousting in Honduras looked bad, but was still constitutional, and called it a victory for democracy. If that woman is what's associated with the left in the United States right now, then there is no hope for language yet.

Type
    INTP
    Hillary Clinton's failure to win the elections literally has the "social progressives" in tears in the United States. This is the woman who said that president Zelaya's kidnapping and ousting in Honduras looked bad, but was still constitutional, and called it a victory for democracy. If that woman is what's associated with the left in the United States right now, then there is no hope for language yet.
    Right now on my facebook there's a "Thank Hillary" post because she "spent her whole life fighting for women's rights."

It has 1.2 thousand likes.

Looking at it more closely, though, it's a sponsored ad, not something from an actual person.

The overall tone of my "progressive" friends is still rage and weeping that Hillary lost and the conviction that all Trump supporters are demonstrably sexist and racist as evidenced by their support of Trump.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The overall tone of my "progressive" friends is still rage and weeping that Hillary lost and the conviction that all Trump supporters are demonstrably sexist and racist as evidenced by their support of Trump.
    This just demonstrates how effective the propaganda apparatus is there. That half the population is fearing Trump as if it were the rise of Hitler and they're about to be taken to a concentration camp any minute. Or as if he were about to push a button and obliterate the human race. I mean it is mass hysteria stoked by the political establishment and the mainstream media, I can't think of any other way to describe it. I've seen some pretty unpresentable people elected into office in my lifetime in S. America, even in highly polarized situations, and I can tell you that I have never seen any tears shed over a lost election, except maybe in countries with fringe insurrectional phenomena/low-intensity civil war scenarios such as Venezuela.