Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115

Thread: America's low-skill workers want their damn jobs back! Wait...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lurker's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,258
    INTPx Award Winner

    America's low-skill workers want their damn jobs back! Wait...

    Aren't most of these people too young to remember the good old days of The Factory or The Coal Mine?

    What made these jobs great anyway? As I recall, they were usually dangerous, and often deadly?

    I would do fast food, myself.

    But seriously, these people need jobs. I think new technology will provide these jobs, but it will take too long to hold out for new developments like this.

    Why do people live in desolate ghost towns with shuttered factories and bemoan their fate? Isn't this the opposite of American can-do spirit? I mean...move. Figure something out.

    Most of the old blue collar jobs aren't coming back. Why can't politicians just tell them this?


  2. #2
    igKnight Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    9,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Why do people live in desolate ghost towns with shuttered factories and bemoan their fate? Isn't this the opposite of American can-do spirit? I mean...move. Figure something out.
    1. They've seen or read Grapes of Wrath.
    2. They lack the funds to even walk out.
    3. Cause fuck you all.
    4. Maybe the climate doesn't suck.
    5. Maybe their too depressed or too poor to make a good risk decision.
    6. Maybe they have people to take care of that can't make the journey for some reason.
    7. They don't get to take their friends with them.
    8. They can't see how it would be better.
    9. They like their town and want it to recover--leaving it won't enable that.
    10. You're on a forum when most people are on facebook and Twitter.

    Most of the old blue collar jobs aren't coming back. Why can't politicians just tell them this?
    For the latter: because it would be suicide. For the former there are illegals in trades that used to be dominated by citizens. Every job they say Americans won't do is one my parents and their siblings and pretty much everyone they grew up with did for period of time.

    My first jobs I was working side by side with illegals too. The idea that illegals are only taking jobs no one wants breaks down if you're in poverty and trying to get those jobs.

    I don't think there will be an end to things getting worse unless blue collar citizenry makes a comeback, much as I think there's no chance for lasting peace so long as road rage is a thing.



    Now, as to what made such jobs great: being able to support a family with a single paycheck.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    What made these jobs great anyway? As I recall, they were usually dangerous, and often deadly?
    Back when I was a kid you could walk out of school (without an education) and get a highly unionised, HIGHLY PAID manual job (shearing still pays over $100,000 a year if you're good and you can travel the world if you're a good shearer).

    Then the UK joined the common market... we lost our guaranteed market and the country was nearly broke. We deregulated, got rid of subsidies and became the easiest country in the world to do business.

    China saved our economy. It made Australia rich as well.

    It's still a fragile world... coal is dead. Some people need to move on.

    Our local kids don't look for work in our town. They all head to the mines in Australia to earn enough to pay cash for a house in 5 years.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lurker's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,258
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    1. They've seen or read Grapes of Wrath.
    2. They lack the funds to even walk out.
    3. Cause fuck you all.
    4. Maybe the climate doesn't suck.
    5. Maybe their too depressed or too poor to make a good risk decision.
    6. Maybe they have people to take care of that can't make the journey for some reason.
    7. They don't get to take their friends with them.
    8. They can't see how it would be better.
    9. They like their town and want it to recover--leaving it won't enable that.
    10. You're on a forum when most people are on facebook and Twitter.



    For the latter: because it would be suicide. For the former there are illegals in trades that used to be dominated by citizens. Every job they say Americans won't do is one my parents and their siblings and pretty much everyone they grew up with did for period of time.

    My first jobs I was working side by side with illegals too. The idea that illegals are only taking jobs no one wants breaks down if you're in poverty and trying to get those jobs.

    I don't think there will be an end to things getting worse unless blue collar citizenry makes a comeback, much as I think there's no chance for lasting peace so long as road rage is a thing.
    First, I get your reaction because it seems like I don't give a shit about these people. I do.

    But I also think they are being exploited and lied to; they are encouraged to believe that their towns will come alive again, and they probably won't. At least not as the residents remember from 30-40 years ago.

    I'm not an asshole. I briefly lived in a little NC town called Wadesboro when I was a kid in the 1980's. At that town, the town was poor, but now it is an impoverished ghost town. My old neighborhood is like a ghetto. The company where my dad worked is gone. NC is big on textiles, and most of those factories are gone, too. Seeing Wadesboro again in 2009 shocked me. In the neighborhood where my friend Gary and I would ride our bikes all day, and even play in the woods, it's now dangerous to walk alone. Seriously.

    If these old jobs aren't coming back, what can be done?

    I do regret my privileged, smart-ass tone in the original post. I was thinking of Trump.


  5. #5
    DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    3,582
    I hate the left's disdain towards the working class.

    They were jobs that allowed people to live decent lives. Yeah, they were dangerous and deadly but it was for a time a good paycheck that anyone could get.

    I really can't see how tech is going to save us when it's what largely created this problem. With the overwhelming push towards further automation we're going to have some huge issues fairly soon. I mean sure we'll add in a large amount of tech jobs but the people working in the factories aren't going to be the ones filling those jobs. Hell, neither are American college graduates. They'll be filled with foreign labor willing to do it at a fraction of the cost while living 15 to a one bedroom apartment.

    What we need to talk about is a universal basic income for the people.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

  6. #6
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
    I hate the left's disdain towards the working class.
    Wait? What? The Left's disdain for the working class?

    I thought it was the Right's disdain for the working class?

    Is the Left not built on Union membership in the States?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lurker's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,258
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Back when I was a kid you could walk out of school (without an education) and get a highly unionised, HIGHLY PAID manual job (shearing still pays over $100,000 a year if you're good and you can travel the world if you're a good shearer).

    Then the UK joined the common market... we lost our guaranteed market and the country was nearly broke. We deregulated, got rid of subsidies and became the easiest country in the world to do business.

    China saved our economy. It made Australia rich as well.

    It's still a fragile world... coal is dead. Some people need to move on.

    Our local kids don't look for work in our town. They all head to the mines in Australia to earn enough to pay cash for a house in 5 years.
    I really regret my opening tone.

    I've written before about how kids shouldn't be pushed into college, and that trades and on-the-job training should make a comeback. My best friend's dad started work as a draftsman right after high school -- he had training in H.S., followed by an apprenticeship, sort of.

    More college, more college...that isn't always the answer, and community colleges, well, first of all, they definitely aren't known for landing jobs, and then the material they teach could be taught in H.S. to save kids time and money.

    As it is now, the options are college or labor, with some in-between of course.

    Honestly, a four year degree isn't really needed to go into some programming or systems analyst-type jobs. Drafting with CAD should not require a two-yr degree.

    Employers aren't willing to take on the expense or risk of hiring a green employee, which is a shame.


  8. #8
    DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    3,582
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Wait? What? The Left's disdain for the working class?

    I thought it was the Right's disdain for the working class?

    Is the Left not built on Union membership in the States?

    Did you not read her post?

    Are you unaware of the entirety of Trump's campaign?
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

  9. #9
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    10. You're on a forum when most people are on facebook and Twitter.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lurker's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,258
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
    I hate the left's disdain towards the working class.
    I've always hated that about snotty coastal left types too. I'm actually not like that. Seriously.

    My opening tone was misdirected anger.

    I do think that politicians are milking these people for votes by lying to them; I mean, I'm 38 and I've been hearing the "bring your jobs back" stuff as long as I can remember. That ship has sailed. What's next?


Similar Threads

  1. Skill Trades Jobs
    By SimplyRivers in forum Academics & Careers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 01:51 AM
  2. Jobs are for Machines
    By Penguinhunter in forum Psychology & Sociology
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 03:18 AM
  3. The Workers Think Tank
    By msg_v2 in forum News, Culture & History
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 06:31 PM
  4. On the inevitable (not death) - Taxation or A workers lament
    By mhc in forum Psychology & Sociology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •