Thread: Setting and achieving goals

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Setting and achieving goals

We're getting into new year's resolution season and I'm thinking about goal setting, especially with regards to meeting long-term goals and making lasting lifestyle changes. What works for you?

Type
    INTP
    1. Think it.
    2. Write it down.
    3. Read it out loud.
    4. Write down, read out progress updates at regular intervals.
    5. Success.

Type
    INTP
    Chunking. That is, break it into smaller concrete sub-goals that will lead you to achieving your ultimate goal.

Being realistic. Achieving anything worthwhile takes a lot of time and effort. The key to getting a lot done is to start early and work steadily.

Type
    xxxx
    1) identifying my biggest vice & forcing myself to take a very long break from it. like i'm talking 6 months or so. it actually hurts to go back.
    2) making sure my goal is something i really, really want. NOT comparing myself to others. just making sure i'm not doing anything for the instant gratification of whatever's "easy" about it. once i believe in my goal, i commit to the thing long-term without telling anybody about the goal until i achieve it. i understand the reasoning behind telling other people your goals, but for me the act itself of telling others provides its own sense of gratification that's ultimately counterproductive.
    3) not having a social life beyond dating my best friend. for this i'm lucky. i wouldn't necessarily recommend this if you get sad without a social life.
    4) having an easy, reliable method of managing my tasks that i can stick to. i tried using a written planner first, and i couldn't stick with it. i've been using habitica (which has mobile & browser view) for a while now and it's really great for tracking habits and organizing tasks, so i'd personally recommend something like that.

Type
    xxxx
    just do it
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    intp
    I think I like short stints of whatever I'm trying to do. Over that time I can get pretty obsessive over it. But I'll probably forget about it and move on after a few weeks/month/year. I've found that steady efforts don't really work for me. It seems to watered down.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've tried a bunch of things but I'm starting to think that picking something specific to focus on for a month at a time might be a better thing for me. Evaluate each month how things are going, and whether the focus needs to change to something else.

Type
    INTP
    I make a schedule with self-imposed deadlines. Then I break every deadline but there is a little bit of guilt that goes along with each broken deadline. This accumulates and then eventually I do something.

Although I often procrastinate quite a bit on the schedule-making too. . . And no this is NOT what I'm doing now. *gives stink eye*

Elitist Hipster Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Being mindful of what it takes to effectively do something and implementing.
    Chocolate ding dong