Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You have 20 years left to live

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Ask me in 10 more years when that's my reality based on average lifespan, lol. Apparently at 30 left I'd quit my day job to write books and spend a lot of time with my cats.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I think most people end up with 20 years or so after they finally retire so it's kind of a thing people actually experience (although there is no certainty and you are not necessarily young and spry during those years).
    I'm there. At age 62, I can't reasonably expect to last much past 80. But as Senseye kind of suggested, with me it's more a story of what to do with my retirement rather than being spurred on by thoughts of mortality per se.

Thoughts of mortality never really stirred me much. After being sent to Vietnam and other hot spots when I was in the Marines, I always had a sense that the big dirt nap was potentially never far off. So I took care of my "bucket list" early in life and then stopped worrying about it.

But retirement is more interesting. Financial security, and "nothing to do and all day to do it" as the song goes. I took early retirement at age 52, so I've had some time to play with it already. Mainly I spend a lot of time in the gym (which I love and which is important for preserving a high quality of life as I get older), do a lot of reading on psych, self-help, and sociology (which I love), and every 5-10 years I do a big life change of sorts: In my mid-50s I dumped the ex and adopted a more solitary lifestyle, and lately I've been picking up and moving to a new part of the country just to keep from getting stale and try out new ways of living (which is fun).

Type
    INTP
    Apparently I'd feel like I should make more friends and start working on that. I still need money and health insurance and as far as jobs go this one isn't so bad though I certainly wouldn't be doing it for free. I worry slightly less about saving money for retirement and feel more free to spend on things that are worthwhile to me now. If/when I get healthy enough and out of treatment, I'll probably start taking more epic vacations. Thailand, Japan, Galapagos, etc. And I work hard at staying healthy so I can enjoy doing the things I like to do in the time I have left. And I got a dog, though in my mind having a dog involved more hiking and swimming and weekend mornings on the Starbucks patio and less cleaning up pee.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Ask me in 10 more years when that's my reality based on average lifespan, lol.

Apparently if I was an average American male I'd have less than 20 years left... more if I lived in Minnesota and a lot less if I lived in Mississippi.

I've been thinking about getting old and retirement a bit lately. One, because I've been looking after my dad a bit who is getting quite frail (and whose age I will be in 27 years) and two, because I was wondering what my social life would be like without work to go to... (not great). Not sure I could tolerate living with someone anymore; they'd have to be a saint...

Pretty fucken impressed by the social and medical care provided for my dad, so not worried about getting additional health insurance to that which is provided for free... Am a bit worried about having enough money to live an active retirement (pro tip for my younger self; don't get divorced three times).

My dad is not enjoying life anymore; sometimes I think we live a bit longer than ideal.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    with absolute certainty, you KNOW you have 20 years left to live.

how do you plan on living out the rest of your years?

what changes are you going to make to your life right now, in the short-term?

bonus question: does it make a difference at all if you know that all of humanity will die with you?
    I'd probably keep doing my normal thing until the last year or two. At that point I'd quit my job and spend time with family and friends, maybe do some traveling, maybe try to write something big. Like pull all my stories and thoughts together somehow. In a way it would be kind of nice to know when I was going to die.

In the short term I'm already trying to live like this is the end however I can. Just trying to let go of petty stuff and realize that soon people will be gone and I'll miss them.

If everyone else was going to die too, I guess I'd care a lot less about tech things like ending aging and trying to figure out how mankind can solve coordination problems. I'd just try to focus on having meaningful experiences with friends and family.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    My dad is not enjoying life anymore
    Why not?

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Why not?
    He was an extremely active 70 year old. He's now a frail 84 year old who refuses to get a mobility scooter because people will see him in it. He has 20% heart function, one kidney, pees in a nephrostomy bag and his hands have severe shakes.

He's an ISTJ who doesn't read much and can no longer garden and play tennis (his only two pastimes). Mum died a few months ago and he's now alone.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    He was an extremely active 70 year old. He's now a frail 84 year old who refuses to get a mobility scooter because people will see him in it. He has 20% heart function, one kidney, pees in a nephrostomy bag and his hands have severe shakes.

He's an ISTJ who doesn't read much and can no longer garden and play tennis (his only two pastimes). Mum died a few months ago and he's now alone.
    It's always a problem when one long term partner dies. The other is generally left adrift.

That issue aside, long term physical decline (and mental too - assuming you can perceive it), seems a valid reason to want to die (or at least no longer consider it a catastrophe). Especially if you have had your "expected" lifespan. Death is inevitable anyways, and if your situation has deteriorated sufficiently, accepting it seems a perfectly reasonable response.