Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You have 20 years left to live

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    one thought exercise i often do is to tell myself that i'm already dead/on my deathbed, but i've been given the opportunity to relive a moment in my life at random, and that's why i'm here. that's what my life REALLY is. and i have this chance now to enjoy the pleasures that may have passed me by when i was busy doing/thinking shit that doesn't matter, as well as think about what i really want and go in that direction.

there are many ways to imagine this sort of scenario playing out, to get into the mindset.

i can't be the only person who thinks stuff like this regularly.

back to the question: you have 20 years. i'm genuinely interested in your answers.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    Intp
    What would be the point of doing anything if 20 years from now if you and everyone else will perish?

I would probably just say fuck it, there's no point trying to do anything if my actions will ultimately be for nothing. I would probably retire to the country side to live a provincial life, enjoy the simple pleasures of life, surround myself with kindred spirits, get married, knock her up, have a few kids etc

I would devote my free time to learning new instruments and making music.

Pan_Sonic_000
    Ignoring particulars for the sake of your question (how would I still make a living, etc) - I'd probably work for an environmental NPO or animal rights group. These are things I already plan to do once I can technically live off my investments, but that's still a ways off.

In recent years, I've learned that I'm actually a pretty good leader and am good at unifying people behind a shared cause. But I'd like to use that for good; self gain is boring now because it's a pretty easy game I can win most of the time. So the challenge is gone and the spoils never mattered much anyway. So I'm going to try leveraging those skills into an area where the benefit is not for me.

Type
    INTP
    I think I'd want to join up with the scientists trying to prevent whatever catastrophe is predicted, or try to get on one of the ships headed to Mars, or work on general AI to hurry up the singularity. In reality though I think society would collapse and I'd find some isolated place to enjoy the remaining years in relative peace.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    What's in the fridge? Do I have hot water?

These are the sort of questions I can use to plan my life.

Anything talking about years? That hasn't worked out for me. Ever.

Lining up showers and meals for the immediate future has had a pretty good track record though.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    That would demand I get rich quicker, so why not imagine.
    Memelogical qoutient

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I have 2 life insurance policies that total $1,000,000 and I get paid out if I have less than 1 year to live (due to a terminal illness), so I'd keep up the payments and look forward to getting the money. I'd keep doing what I'd normally do (work 28 hours a week) for several years.

Type
    INTP
    Just try and enjoy those 20 years if I could.

Step one would be to quit working if at all financially possible (note that if you were relatively young, you might be able to borrow a fair amount of money during the last 5-10 years knowing you would never have to pay it off, and you could buy life insurance if you are worried about loved ones having to deal with the debt). The point is, you certainly wouldn't want to waste any more of your life in the 40 hour a week grind.

I think most people end up with 20 years or so after they finally retire so it's kind of a thing people actually experience (although there is no certainty and you are not necessarily young and spry during those years).

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040

INCHEON, South Korea— A landmark report from the United Nations’ scientific panel on climate change paints a far more dire picture of the immediate consequences of climate change than previously thought and says that avoiding the damage requires transforming the world economy at a speed and scale that has “no documented historic precedent.”

The report, issued on Monday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of scientists convened by the United Nations to guide world leaders, describes a world of worsening food shortages and wildfires, and a mass die-off of coral reefs as soon as 2040 — a period well within the lifetime of much of the global population.

The report “is quite a shock, and quite concerning,” said Bill Hare, an author of previous I.P.C.C. reports and a physicist with Climate Analytics, a nonprofit organization. “We were not aware of this just a few years ago.” LULWHAT The report was the first to be commissioned by world leaders under the Paris agreement, the 2015 pact by nations to fight global warming.

The authors found that if greenhouse gas emissions continue at the current rate, the atmosphere will warm up by as much as 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels by 2040, inundating coastlines and intensifying droughts and poverty. Previous work had focused on estimating the damage if average temperatures were to rise by a larger number, 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius), because that was the threshold scientists previously considered for the most severe effects of climate change.
    an article comparing 1.5 degrees of warming VS 2 degrees C...

Why Half a Degree of Global Warming Is a Big Deal

The Earth has already warmed 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) since the 19th century. Now, a major new United Nations report has looked at the consequences of jumping to 1.5 or 2 degrees Celsius.

Half a degree may not sound like much. But as the report details, even that much warming could expose tens of millions more people worldwide to life-threatening heat waves, water shortages and coastal flooding. Half a degree may mean the difference between a world with coral reefs and Arctic summer sea ice and a world without them.

Beyond 1.5 degrees
    At the United Nations climate negotiations in Paris in 2015, countries promised to hold total global warming to well below 2 degrees and agreed to “pursue efforts” to limit warming to 1.5 degrees. Leaders of small island nations, like the Marshall Islands and Maldives, had deemed that lower goal essential to their survival.

At this point, however, both goals are starting to look wildly out of reach. If you add up all the national pledges made in Paris to curb emissions, they would put the world on track to warm around 3 degrees Celsius or more.

Holding warming to 1.5 degrees, the report said, would entail a staggering transformation of the global energy system beyond what world leaders are contemplating today. Global greenhouse emissions would need to fall in half in just 12 years and zero out by 2050. To stay below 2 degrees, emissions have to decline to zero by around 2075. Virtually all of the coal plants and gasoline-burning vehicles on the planet would need to be quickly replaced with zero-carbon alternatives.

In addition, the report said, the world would have to swiftly develop and deploy technology to remove billions of tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere each year — using technology that is still untested at large scales.

“My view is that 2 degrees is aspirational and 1.5 degrees is ridiculously aspirational” said Gary Yohe, an environmental economist at Wesleyan University. “They are good targets to aim for, but we need to face the fact that we might not hit them and start thinking more seriously about what a 2.5 degree or 3 degree world might look like.”
    we gonna die
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    we gonna die
    It's a problem of free riders. There's no way to practically enforce a global carbon rule that everybody will agree to.

It's hard to imagine how bad it's actually going to be, but if you imagine it to be an armageddon scenario... then doesn't it just make more sense for us to blow everybody else up?
    Is global warming via carbon emissions worse than nuclear winter? I mean, it wouldn't be that hard to just wipe places like venezuela off the map. How much time would that buy us? If you're saying the outcome is Armageddon, then no matter what we do, it can't really be worse than that.... So there are all of a sudden a lot of options on the table that are normally considered off limits morally.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.