Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newby forumer

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by nerby View Post
    Since I am a newby here, is it considered tabu to post on old threads? I find many interesting and funny.
    I say if you've got something interesting to add then go ahead. Some of the old threads are pretty good.

Banned
    Type
    xxxx
    Thank you, I will explore.

Banned
    Type
    xxxx
    Thank you...

Type
    INTP
    A quick tutorial on forum functions:

As you may have noticed, it's a bit difficult to know whom one is addressing with vanilla post. In a long thread with lots of debate, it would be a nightmare to sort out unless we had some way of identifying to what or whom we are responding. While the modern trend is to crib from high level programming languages and use indentation, here we use more elegant solutions. I say they are more elegant because they allow for greater expression in responses, and you can have longer exchanges without ending up with cramped text, or needing to scroll right. I'm astounded at how well the newfangled indentation method has taken root given it's obvious limitations.

Instead, we have four primary methods of denoting a reply to previous statements, one of which doesn't really count. Two I'll dub "covert" and the other two are overt. The distinction is that overt responses will sent a notification to the person you are responding to, alerting them that someone has said something relevant to them. There are reasons for each, but generally, covert responses are used for two main reasons: notification fatigue, and being on a bloody phone.

First, the covert:

1. Propinquity. If your post immediately follows the one you wish to reply to, then we can sort it out via context. No notification is sent, and it's usually clear. If you've any uncertainty, use a different method. If there is no obvious connection between your post and the preceding post, then by default it is assumed to be in response to the original post (OP).

2. The carat: ^. Sometimes used in the singular, but more often in two's and three's, this acts as an arrow saying that the preceding post is important context. Often used for one liners.

The covert approach is sometimes used when you want to respond to an argument, but don't want it to be a big deal. It's clear to a reader that it's a response, but it doesn't run up and ring the doorbell of the person you are responding to, which is something of an invitation for rebuttal. You'll see it a lot after a heated and flurrious exchange. Ironically, in that usage, it often becomes the case that the last few exchanges are purely covert. Though sometimes that can simply be because you both know you're both checking for replies, so there's no need to send a messenger.

The overt:

1. Quotes. These are the bread and butter. Usage varies from forum to forum, but this forum's culture uses them to the point of absurdity. I'd estimate half of our posts contain quotes. This is just because they're really really handy. It's like having your own personal stenographer on hand. They help you identify and correct argument drift. They help eliminate post ex facto posting (editing for nefarious rhetorical purposes), but shouldn't be relied on for that because they can also be faked. They also allow us to address multiple posts in a single post, and with some advanced editing skillz, respond to arguments point by point--though that can become irritating when to text-wallers debate. I sometimes use a different method just to clean up the smell of overquoting.

Still, it's the preferred method. Down at the bottom right corner of each post you will see three buttons: Reply, Reply With Quote, and an icon of quotation marks in a bubble with a little plus sign next to it.

Reply: opens a text box. Post is just a post. Same functionality as using the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen. No one will know which post you replied to.

Reply With Quote: This will open a reply box, but will also preload it with all the text and images in the post you are replying to wrapped up in HTML tags to trigger the quote bubble. Everything between the tags will be in the bubble of the resulting post. A notification will be sent to the author of the post, and they will be able to see you replied to them.

The Icon: This is for multi-quoting. Clicking on it will toggle whether or not it is quoted when you go to reply. My common usage is to flag any posts in a thread I want to reply to, and the last one I hit "Reply With Quote". This gets all the relevant posts in one bundle.

Quotes done by button also have links back to their source. This is handy.

You can also use the tags by hand, which is how we break up a quote to respond to items within it. A brief example:

Item 1
    Item 2
    Item 3
    This is a quote with three things I want to respond to. I can insert [quote ] and [/ quote] (without the spaces) and break it up as I wish:

Item 1
    Response
    Item 2
    Response
    Item 3
    etc.

Quoting will also reveal any tags a person used (in the editor, they will resolve when you hit "post"), except for quote tags. Quoting a post will not also quote it's quotes. It's the one tag you can't learn by quoting other people to see what they wrote.

4. The mention. One of the more recent functional additions (within the last two or three years) is the mention. By putting an "@" symbol in front of someone's username, their name will turn into a link to their profile and send a notification that they were mentioned. As with quotes, mentions can be used by the recipient to track down what was said about or to them. It's handy when quoting isn't relevant, or as a means to deal with quote fatigue, when you still want them to know you're actively discussing things, and/or when it's too late for the covert methods to work.

However, the mention tag has a couple odd behaviors. The first is, it doesn't always work, and it's hard to know why. The most common reason is misspelling, but I've seen it occasionally fail when the spelling was correct. But most of the time it works, and you will know it worked because the text will become a hyperlink.

The second odd behavior is that if it is at the beginning of a line, it will eat up all preceding white space. This can be fixed by a quick edit, or by only mentioning people from within a sentence. This is an artifact of the @ symbol actually being a macro to add the "mention" tags. It's smart enough to work with names with whitespace, and to permit you to put a comma after their name per common English writing conventions regarding direct address.

You can monkey with all the tags to your hearts content by clicking "go advanced" on the reply box and taking advantage of the advanced input screen's ability to "Preview Post".

Notifications are only sent once per event, so don't worry about edits spamming someone with notifications. Just try to avoid quoting aaaaaaand mentioning someone in the same post. It happens. It's easy to get into the habit of putting an "@" in front of usernames.

Feel free to float any questions about forum functionality. Some member will likely feel up to giving a better response than RTFM, because:

A) We like to feel knowledgable
    B) Most of us don't know where the manual is.

...I should probably move this to the wiki...

We're still working on new member welcoming practices. This is the best we have after a decade of brainstorming. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 11-27-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: gah! Stray characters!
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    ^ Excellent advice. Should be made part of the Wiki IMO.

Everything Heph says about the Quote feature is true. Beware @nerby, it is so handy, you'll be longing for it in your daily correspondence back in the real world before long.

Type
    xNxx
    Since I am a newby here, is it considered tabu to post on old threads? I find many interesting and funny.
    necrobumping is a dark art

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    go away! we're full here.

Type
    INTP
    Welcome nerby! I like your username, its evocation of newb.

Please do!!!
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Welcome! I'm not an authority figure here but I appreciate a good necropost so feel free.

What kind of art do you like?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    go away! we're full here.
    He's bluffing. You can tell because he's using his tail-between-his-legs voice.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.