Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Insensitivity

Elitist Hipster Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Gluten Insensitivity

I used to be able to eat gluten. It seems only recently that I've been having food sensitivities. It never really clicked until yesterday that I might have gluten intolerance.

I feel symptoms when I eat certain foods, and improvement when I eliminate. The foods I react to are in that category. Last night left me in agony. I ate a hamburger and fries at Mcdonalds, and ate a king sized candy bar, and then some chips and salsa.

But for some reason I react badly to omelettes, which is what I ate tonight, perhaps the grease interacts badly with the previous inflammation and it's just too heavy a food.

I do experience the anxiety directly associated with the belching, and even depression. I start burping, and that relieves the anxiety. Strangely, I've only had this problem the last 2 years, but I've always had a belching problem. Perhaps it was always an underlying problem but never really climaxed until now, or it took me really being unhealthy to show.

They say if you have a few of the symptoms, then likely you have it, and if you experience symptoms after eating foods like donuts, which I made the mistake of eating a maple bar today. The good news is that symptoms improve when I don't eat certain foods. The funny thing is I reacted to pork chops and hamburger, but I also used a lot of ketchup and overate. They say processed meat can be glutenous.

So I'm gonna be gluten free for a while and let my stomach completely heal like I did last year. Now that I attribute it to intolerance. I notice certain foods can fuck up my sleep more than anything. Maybe I even have celiac disease. Mental fog, yes. My stomach is in knots today. Anyone else have food sensitivities? Was there a time you could eat anything, but no longer could?
    Chocolate ding dong

Type
    INTP
    Gluten is a protein found in wheat. What also contains starches (starch is different from protein) that can be difficult to digest. Many people with irritable bowel syndrome in particular get upset stomachs after they eat too much wheat, and they attribute it to gluten but it's actually the starch.

Standard advice for these sorts of issues is to go on an elimination diet for six weeks (no gluten - although a gluten problem is unlikely - and no FODMAPs - categories of food that can trigger irritable bowel, which is much more common). Then after six weeks, gradually introduce potential problem foods one by one. Keep a meticulous food diary.

It'll be tedious as hell, but it should give you actual data to go on.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    I've been tested for gluten intolerance and the results came back negative...but my kids have had issues with wheat and digestion, so we cut out most of it from our diets and it tends to improve my digestion quite a lot, too.

Food sensitivities are a complex matter...often caused by underlying conditions that are tough to identify, and often exacerbated by certain food combinations, which makes it even harder...because in one food-context, wheat may cause an issue, while in another you may have no reaction to it at all.
    Sometimes even something as simple as a minor yeast overgrowth may cause people to be sensitive to wheat, dairy, eggs and sugar...when normally, none of those is a problem.

The low FODMAP elimination diet is probably what a dietitian would recommend if blood work didn't show any blatant allergies/intolerances....but it is a total pain in the butt, and there are a lot of considerations on that diet...like, you have to keep track of how much of certain foods you eat, because many foods are only low in FODMAPs when consumed in certain proportions. If you aren't totally meticulous, it can be a big waste of time...and not like 'fun' time wasting like playing video games, either, lol.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    I get bloaty and my digestion gets funky if I eat a ton of wheat products, but it seems OK in moderation so I haven't cut it out of my diet completely. I can't say if that's a gluten thing or not. My dad claims that wheat products make his joints hurt if he eats them. He notices it right way. But when he went to Europe and said he completely overindulged on bread over there without problem so it's only American wheat products that are an issue. I've read reports of this too which I always though were sort of bullshit, but maybe it isn't since my dad reported the same thing.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Jelly View Post
    Anyone else have food sensitivities? Was there a time you could eat anything, but no longer could?
    Yes, shellfish. But I was never a huge fan of eating creatures that I could see whole on my plate (not even small fish), and the way they are killed is horrifying.

I only miss the taste of octopus.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I get bloaty and my digestion gets funky if I eat a ton of wheat products, but it seems OK in moderation so I haven't cut it out of my diet completely. I can't say if that's a gluten thing or not. My dad claims that wheat products make his joints hurt if he eats them. He notices it right way. But when he went to Europe and said he completely overindulged on bread over there without problem so it's only American wheat products that are an issue. I've read reports of this too which I always though were sort of bullshit, but maybe it isn't since my dad reported the same thing.
    Traditional bread is fermented by a culture of bacteria and yeast. American bread tends to be highly processed and fermented only with fast-rising yeast, and then they add vitamins back in. It's a very different process that yields different results. It makes sense that it could negatively affect our digestion.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Yes, shellfish. But I was never a huge fan of eating creatures that I could see whole on my plate (not even small fish), and the way they are killed is horrifying.

I only miss the taste of octopus.
    Just thinking about shellfish being boiled alive makes me salivate.

Spoiler: Want.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    I don't know if I'm gluten intolerant but I generally feel better when I don't eat wheat. It's probably more of a carb thing for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    My parents just came back from Turkey and my Mom says the same thing about their bread. She can't touch the stuff out here without gnarly gastrointestinal distress but over there she was eating bread three times a day everyday and not a single issue arose. She tried bread again out here thinking she might be cured but nope same old bubble guts.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Traditional bread is fermented by a culture of bacteria and yeast. American bread tends to be highly processed and fermented only with fast-rising yeast, and then they add vitamins back in. It's a very different process that yields different results. It makes sense that it could negatively affect our digestion.
    I recently read something that says our genetically modified wheat or the way we've hybridized it could be playing a role too, seemed pretty quacky though. I tried to track down some organic heirloom wheat to test the theory but it was crazy expensive and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be contaminated with other wheat.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    INTP
    I've read numerous accounts of people having different experiences with wheat products in Europe, too. Would be great to know what the difference was.

My mom has had digestive issues a lot, too...but said that when she went to Thailand for 3 months, she didn't have an issue there the whole time.
    She floats 2 theories about it...one, that sunshine/vitamin D helps a lot, and 2, the ingredients were always super fresh, and lack of quick semi-prepared stuff and fast food allowed her gut to normalize.

I find that my results are just terribly inconsistent...even if I find something that seems good for my guts, it only works for a while. No food reacts consistently with the gut...too many variables. I think variety and freshness are probably good principles to go by, though.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My similar thread.

I'm irritated by much of this.

Celiac disease, sensitivity, and allergy are certainly real and serious conditions. People who abuse the "intolerant" label for some non-medical b.s. cause deserve a solid slap for endangering vulnerable people, and for trivializing a serious but RARE condition.

Finally, they deserve two more slaps: One, for being gullible, and another for enabling a new gang of diet profiteers to demonize an entire food group and possibly hurt consumers who respect a "doctor" without question.

It really sucks when little kids develop nutritional deficiencies because their parents start them on a fad diet.