Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creation "science" says the world is about 6000 years old

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Creation "science" says the world is about 6000 years old

Hi I used to be a young-earth creationist until I went to university and was deconverted with a former creationist. I'm still interested in this. I recently bought a kid's ebook called "D is for Dinosaur". It has resources for parents/teachers in it.

Check it out online here:
    https://books.google.com.au/books?id...ons%22&f=false
    Y is for Years, how long could it be,
    Since God made the world for you and for me?
    “Probably only six thousand or so,”
    Say many good scientists; they ought to know!
    Bible Bits:
    (Share one at a time, and have the child repeat what you say.)
    o It tells us about God forming the world, including Adam and Eve.
    o Then it lets us know how long they and their descendants lived, all the way up to Jesus (about 4,000 years from Adam to Christ).
    o If you use those figures to count up the years, the world is really only about 6,000 years old!
    o Only God was there, so only He really knows what happened.
    Always Remember:
    (The child needs to repeat this back to you.)
    Some people will try and tell you that the earth is millions or billions of years old. However, the Bible shows that from Adam to Jesus, only a few thousand years went by. And when you look at the world around you, it confirms the Bible history.
    Well that's how you indoctrinate children into believing that the world is 6000 years old...

I put this in the "science" forum because they believe that it is science.

-
    Type
    xxxx

250 years of Enlightenment, for what.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I found some more stuff in the "Y is for Years" section:
    Directed Discussion:
    Tell them that there are many scientists who do not believe in evolution and millions of years. They are called creation scientists, and they work in many research laboratories around the world. Some of them work at Answers in Genesis, the Institute for Creation Research, universities, or national labs and other companies. Tell them they are highly qualified scientists who have done a lot of research to show that the world is only thousands of years old, just as the Bible tells us.
    Core Truth Takeaway:
    Share with them how different this is from the evolutionary scientists who say that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. Remind them that no scientist was there, but that God has always been there, and that God’s Word tells us the truth about dinosaurs and about history.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    https://answersingenesis.org/creation-scientists/
    Can creationists be real scientists?
    Many secular and atheist groups mock Answers in Genesis and the Creation Museum for not being scientific. However, some of the most influential scientists past and present have been and are creationists.
    https://answersingenesis.org/creatio...ntists/modern/
    Modern Creation Scientists
    Mathematics
    Prof. Linn E. Carothers, Statistics
    Dr. Bryan Dawson, Mathematics
    Dr. Werner Gitt, Information Science
    Dr. Robert A. Herrmann, Mathematics
    Dr. Valery Karpounin, Mathematical Sciences, Logics, Formal Logics
    Prof. Man-Suk Song, Computer Science

Dr. David Pennington, Plastic Surgery
    Dr. Anthony R. Silvestro Jr., General Dentistry

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think this ideology when imposed on the young constitutes child abuse.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP

To what end does it benefit anyone to be so persistently ignorant and/or stupid? I take it as the new vow of celibacy for holy orders, but instead of vowing not to use your genitals one vows not to use their brains to the greater glory of god.

Here's a new found favorite gem from the Gallup site. This actually makes me question Gallup methods because surely this can't be right. Please be wrong.

Four out of Five Americans Know Earth Revolves Around Sun
    Probing a more universal measure of knowledge, Gallup also asked the following basic science question, which has been used to indicate the level of public knowledge in two European countries in recent years: "As far as you know, does the earth revolve around the sun or does the sun revolve around the earth?" In the new poll, about four out of five Americans (79%) correctly respond that the earth revolves around the sun, while 18% say it is the other way around. These results are comparable to those found in Germany when a similar question was asked there in 1996; in response to that poll, 74% of Germans gave the correct answer, while 16% thought the sun revolved around the earth, and 10% said they didn't know. When the question was asked in Great Britain that same year, 67% answered correctly, 19% answered incorrectly, and 14% didn't know.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    ...To what end does it benefit anyone to be so persistently ignorant and/or stupid? I take it as the new vow of celibacy for holy orders, but instead of vowing not to use your genitals one vows not to use their brains to the greater glory of god....
    https://answersingenesis.org/why-doe...-literal-days/
    The Necessity for Believing in Six Literal Days

....The Bible is adamant though, that death, disease, and suffering came into the world as a result of sin. God instituted death and bloodshed because of sin so man could be redeemed. As soon as Christians allow for death, suffering, and disease before sin, then the whole foundations of the message of the Cross and the Atonement have been destroyed. The doctrine of original sin, then, is totally undermined.

If there were death, disease, and suffering before Adam rebelled—then what did sin do to the world? What does Paul mean in Romans 8 when he says the whole of creation groans in pain because of the Curse? How can all things be restored in the future to no more death and suffering, unless the beginning was also free of death and suffering? The whole message of the gospel falls apart if one allows millions of years for the creation of the world.....
    So it helps the gospel message...

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I think this ideology when imposed on the young constitutes child abuse.
    Ehh in a free and open society it seems pretty harmless. It's akin to to teaching children that Santa Claus and elves are the source of Christmas toys. As those children grow up, their range of information sources expand beyond their parents and church teachings.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Mike
    It's not like Santa because the parents don't believe in Santa. Also it isn't just parents and the church teaching this - Also the creation museum and the ark encounter museum and creationist books and videos.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    @Mike
    It's not like Santa because the parents don't believe in Santa. Also it isn't just parents and the church teaching this - Also the creation museum and the ark encounter museum and creationist books and videos.
    I don't think that the parents believing that they're teaching the children the truth makes it any worse than the parents who knowingly lie about Santa.

Didn't your parents teach you creationism? Do you feel that you suffered a form of child abuse?