Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Walking home with groceries the other day I see a car pulled to the side of the road on the opposite side of an intersection I need to cross. Not parked safely at all - it's too far away from the curb and it's too close to the intersection. Anyone turning in there was going to back-end this vehicle.

A woman is standing by the car. She is holding a tablet and she's taking pictures. Lots of them. She looking in the door, she looking at the door, she looking at the rear-view mirrors, she's taking pictures of the trunk and the license plates.

I cross the street with my groceries. She is pretty absorbed with recording the visual details of this car with her tablet and doesn't see me approaching.

"Hi... is everything alright?" My groceries are heavy. I want to go the fsck home.

"Oh! Yes! Thank you, everything is fine. My first car!" She speaks with a German accent and smiles, continuing to take more picures.

"That's awesome! Have a great day!"

Let happily off the hook, I go home.

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I need to get something down town. I catch a bus and take a seat near the back. Tonight instead of sitting at the very back I sit in the second to last row (there is 1 row of seats behind me). The seating configuration on this particular bus places me facing forward, and then the seat in the row ahead of me is facing the aisle. I sit next to the window, there is an empty seat next to me. The guy sitting in the seats across from me is sitting by the aisle, with the window seat empty and inaccessible. There are very few passengers just now so it isn't SO bad, but normally I see this as a pretty douchy thing to do- the whole sprawl thing... but I digress.

A few stops further along the route six teenagers get on the bus and parade to the back. Five of them sit in the row behind me and one sits in the aisle-facing seat in front of mine. I've got my ear-buds in with the volume up a little over half; I can't hear what they're talking about but they're chattering away behind me. The one sitting in the seat ahead of me also has ear-buds in. He's got a tube of Pringles. He's trying to open it.

I watch for 30 seconds or so as he tugs at the edges of the foil seal at the top of the tube, then tries to push his fingers through it. Usually there's a tab somewhere around the edge of that seal that you just pull on to open the seal; maybe I am imagining that. I'm pretty sure if all else fails you can pop the end off by squeezing the tube a little. This guy was just having no luck at all breaching this tube's clearly formidable perimeter security.

By the time he had resorted to trying to use his teeth to break the seal it was getting too painful for me to watch. This kid was obviously going to starve to death if I didn't do something. Somehow its parents had failed to teach it necessary skills it would need in order to survive in the wild. This probably interferes with nature's plan, but I reached into my pocket for my key chain with the sharp-ish end-thinger on it and poked the kid in the arm. Removing the pringles tube from his teeth he accepted the key chain, opened the tube handed the key chain back and offered me the open tube of pringles. I declined.

The kid offered pringles to everyone else at the back of the bus, including mansprawl douche across the aisle. They got off the bus a couple of stops before I did.

That kid is probably going to dehydrate and be eaten by dingos while desperately trying to get a straw into a slushy cup next summer, but he seemed pretty polite. At least his parents taught him manners, if not how to open the crisps. We don't even have fucking dingos. Coyotes, I guess.

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Walking home after work one Fall afternoon I am spotted by a friend who is having a beer with one of his friends at a pub I was passing. He sends me a text message inviting me to join them, and since I have no place pressing to be I take a detour and sit down with them for a pint or two.

We were seated around a smallish table gabbing and drinking our beers when without warning my friend's friend leaned across the table, buttoned down my shirt collar and tucked it into the collar of my sweater.

"There. That looks better. Doesn't that look better?"

I sat corrected.

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Stayed up way too late last night which means I slept well into the early afternoon today; there is a gap between say 08:30 and 14:00 or so while I was finally sleeping.

And it was at some point today, in broad daylight between the hours of 08:30 and around 14:00 that someone dumped their 42" LCD television on my property, having leaned it neatly against a tree between the sidewalk and the street in front of my house very near where I place my recyclables for collection.

Now... you cannot just throw your electronics in the garbage here; they won't be accepted on garbage collection day. You have to take such items to disposal collection point where they eventually get sorted, salvaged and or recycled in order to supposedly prevent them from ending up in landfills, oozing toxic stuff into the ground. This puts a bit of pressure/responsibility on the consumer post-purchase, since they have to handle their old/broken electronic devices a bit further than just to the sidewalk with the rest of their trash. We even have restrictions now on what qualifies as a "garbage bag" - you have to use clear bags for your household trash, though currently each household is permitted one opaque "privacy" bag. Naturally, when you impose those kinds of restrictions on things like that, people are going to look for a way around it. If you watch as you make your way around you'll spot people rolling into parking lots and dumping their trash in commercial dumpsters behind businesses, tossing shit off the side of the highways. Making it someone else's problem is the popular way around it. If you are caught dumping and it can be proven, the fine can be pretty costly.

So I have this unwanted television on my lot and I need to get rid of it. I don't think I can call the city and whine about it, otherwise everyone would do it. There's no sense calling da law because I've got nothing, and they're not gonna haul the TV away - and what I need is for the TV to go away, that's all. Its not terribly difficult to make the TV go away because as luck has it there's a depot less than 3KM from here, but as other luck would have it I do not own a vehicle other than a bicycle, and when I bought that bicycle I wasn't thinking ahead to get the one with the extended cargo area in the back... so I could hump a TV around on it.

I could use a taxi to move it to the depot, and my neighbors have already offered to help me move it with their vehicle which is great so really it should be a non-issue. And it would be a non-issue except for one important thing I haven't brought up yet.

Whence?!

I mean... this television set had a home once; it came from somewhere. Possibly one nearby and it either came in a vehicle or on foot. If it came in a vehicle it could be from anywhere. If it came on foot I could probably narrow it down to within a couple of blocks, that's a 2-person TV. Options for my block are pretty limited. Everyone's basically retired except for a few of us and I can't see any of the younger residents stooping to such a level as to dump their TV a few doors down. This leaves me with something I have a hard time talking about because basically it's like... Occam's razor making me sound like a douche but my mind has gone here and so it's a possibility I can't ignore... but I am left with the dudes across the street.

When I moved here about a decade ago the small apartment building on the corner across the street from my house was home to a number of stern but fair aging catholic nuns (I don't think I ever got a smile out of any of them but they always acknowledged my greetings when we passed). Over the years their numbers dwindled and eventually those few who remained were moved somewhere else. The owners of the property (the catholic church?) put the building up for sale as an apartment building but eventually the sign came down. There was talk that the zoning for that lot was "institutional" and it would be difficult for them to change it to commercial or whatever it was that they needed to zone it in order for it to be used as regular apartment building. The property stayed unused for a little while until one day an assortment of men moved in there. I'm not sure entirely what the deal is; it's like a halfway house or Turning Point or something. Some of these guys have been in prison, some of them are medicated for this or that. There's regular shouting matches, police cars, ambulances, social workers, church (I presume) volunteers... it's all very exciting at this end of my formerly unexciting street these days.

The reason the dudes across the street are a factor is because about a month back, a pest control truck was parked outside of the building for basically the whole day. Then one day a couple of weeks ago there were four pest control trucks parked outside. That same day, stacks of furniture began to accumulate in the driveway next to the dumpster right before they started gutting rooms and the dumpster started to fill with drywall. The first room to be gutted was one which was being used as a common/recreation/TV room. Among the furniture piled next to the dumpsters were two televisions: a big honkin' rear projection model and a decently-sized (compared with the other TV) LCD model. These televisions stayed outside in the driveway for a couple of days and then disappeared, along with rest of the stuff. In the time since, there has been a stream of tradesmen and the odd pest control truck. The other day a pile of beds appeared at the other side of the building; they're still there today.

I have seen more pest control trucks parked across the street in the last four weeks than I have seen on this street in my 11 years here.

And now there's this mystery television which appears in my yard at the same time as furnishings are being seemingly frantically abandoned across the street.

Under any other circumstances, whatever, if it's a TV belonging to one of those dudes and they can't coordinate proper disposal of it then sure - I'll play (wherever it's from, I have to deal with it now anyway). But am I being a douche for stereotyping them as the type to do this? I mean... I don't think some of them are very sharp, and you do kind of need to be a special type of dim to shit so close to where you eat like that. During broad daylight. The amount of garbage floating around the neighborhood has increased since they moved in - they just chuck shit in that dumpster and leave the lid up. And they picked me so... it's personal?

But the pest control trucks... those are real.

I cannot discount the possibility that if the television is indeed from across the street then it is very possibly lousy with something nasty like bedbugs. Because so many pest control trucks and so much mass disposal of furniture.

So I can't just ask someone to stow this television in their vehicle because I cannot be guaranteed something unfortunate isn't going to crawl out during the five minute drive to the depot and eventually make its way onto a human and or into a home. And that would definitely be a dick thing to do.

I figure I can sort of gift wrap it in a heavy plastic drop sheet and seal it up with tape, then it should be OK for a few minutes in a vehicle if anything does happen to be lurking in there. But in the meantime, I've got to go out there tonight and drag the friggin' thing up into my driveway where someone isn't going to come along and kick it or heave it into the street. Closer to my house, and I have to touch it - it's probably covered in DNA. Gross. Plaguevision.

I'll probably never know if this was an interaction or just a coincidence. Whatever it was, it was someone's dick move.

The worst part of all this? Today was compost collection day; garbage collection is next week. Retards.
    Last edited by itch; 10-18-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Obviously you have some sort of government listening post being set up across the street. Time to move.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)