Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird interactions with strangers that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    Obviously you have some sort of government listening post being set up across the street. Time to move.
    Hah! I'm inadvertently miles ahead of them. You see, this house was built with tinfoil IN the walls. Like... you bust open a stud bay and *wah-kaaah!* tinfoil.

All tempest shielded up in here. Hell, Harry Caul called and couldn't produce.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    In class i sit with a girl, thought she was hot, never before. I noticed her surname because of smth and we talked for a while.
    Hours later,
    I looked her up in Facebook and asked her out. She said yea.
    This these days I don't give a crap anymore.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    I left the house this morning without an umbrella, because I thought the nuisance of carrying one exceeded the likelihood of a spontanenous heavy downpour of rain. I was wrong. I ended up soaking wet. Decided to call an uber home so I could change clothes because there was no way I could work like that. Just as I opened the app, this van pulls up in front of me and asks if I need a lift. I said "can you take me home?" They oblige with unparalleled enthusiasm. I won't divulge the details of the subsequent conversations we had because it was mildly creepy, but let's just say I was not late to work this morning. How odd that the exact second I needed a ride, and a ride appeared out of nowhere. It's like that Paul Coelho quote about the universe conspiring to make your wishes come true.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Im sitting in a food court. A guy just came up to me and started telling me my fortune. Like the rest of 2017 will be very bad luck for me, perhaps I'll get cancer or be infertile. I had to tell him to go away like 10 times. What a headache
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I keep encountering meat heads who, often with a woman by their side, wish to assert their dominance in taking up an entire walkway where there's easily enough room. It's becoming irritating and seems to be a trend today. They're usually the type that walk like they need a shit and wear a t-shirt in 40F windy weather. Captain compensation.
    Europeans tend to have a smaller bubble of how close they're willing to walk by a person too, like brushing past strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Im sitting in a food court. A guy just came up to me and started telling me my fortune. Like the rest of 2017 will be very bad luck for me, perhaps I'll get cancer or be infertile. I had to tell him to go away like 10 times. What a headache
    Been almost a year, was he right?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    I keep encountering meat heads who, often with a woman by their side, wish to assert their dominance in taking up an entire walkway where there's easily enough room. It's becoming irritating and seems to be a trend today. They're usually the type that walk like they need a shit and wear a t-shirt in 40F windy weather. Captain compensation.
    Europeans tend to have a smaller bubble of how close they're willing to walk by a person too, like brushing past strangers.
    They don't brush past strangers in the US? Over here, they might even lightly take your arm or shoulder and politely guide you to a side (so as not to shove).

I sometimes wonder if my space is smaller or bigger than other people's when I'm around people from different countries. I think it has shrunk a lot in Argentina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    They don't brush past strangers in the US? Over here, they might even lightly take your arm or shoulder and politely guide you to a side (so as not to shove).

I sometimes wonder if my space is smaller or bigger than other people's when I'm around people from different countries. I think it has shrunk a lot in Argentina.
    I found it very rare to have someone brush past me in the US and to be honest, that's the way I prefer it. If someone did, they would often say "excuse me" to acknowledge that there was unintentional contact.

In the UK, there's a big confusion about which side to pass on, it's pretty much 50/50 for which side. In the US and most other countries, it seems a given that people will often at least make some attempt to pass on the right as they would if they were driving, so in the UK, you find people will often be walking right at you, on the wrong side of the "tracks" so to say as though playing sidewalk chicken.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    In the US and most other countries, it seems a given that people will often at least make some attempt to pass on the right as they would if they were driving, so in the UK, you find people will often be walking right at you, on the wrong side of the "tracks" so to say as though playing sidewalk chicken.
    Yeah this seems to be pretty correlated with how big the city is, too. The more people you have in smaller spaces, the more likely they are to organize themselves on sides. Of course there's occasionally that one asshole that walks on the opposite side in a totally packed subway tunnel, forcing hundreds of people to move and accommodate him. Although occasionally you don't have a choice if it's literally wall to wall of a mob of people walking in one direction, which might happen after a very full train has recently let people out for example. People get pissed and alarmed that they actually have to pay attention but what're you gonna do? I got places to be!

Speaking of public transportation, that's one situation where people (grudgingly) but aside personal space boundaries. Although even then, Americans are extremely bad at packing into places and have a bad habit of congregating around doorways and just not paying attention (or just not giving a shit) about blocking access to clear spaces. It's very much a "got mine, fuck you" attitude as far as getting a spot goes.

Type
    INtP
    The family next door is obsessed with collies. I know the name of every collie they have ever had. The woman carries a collie tote bag. The guy takes the collie Rocky to work with him in the morning. He asked if my collie slept with me at night. His adult daughter brings her collie over in the evening; she and her mom typically spend around an hour in the evening training the two collies in their back yard.

I have started using the side door to take my dog out to avoid long collie-related conversations.

I'm nervous about going outside recently; they have started giving unsolicited advice. The guy asked why I boarded Yahtzee instead of taking him with me on a nine hour drive to see my family (who cannot accommodate a large dog).

I'm irritated, and I don't know how to set boundaries without seeming unfriendly.